Yellow Exclamation Mark, Live OK, Recording NFG

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Blue Iris is showing a yellow exclamation mark against one of my cameras. The live view is fluent and without any glitches. Triggers played back are garbled.

I've tried different frame rates, down from 12 to 3. I've "restarted camera". I've restarted BI. I have not disconnectedly the camera from the network as it was easier to post than crawl under the house or get the ladder. Also, it's recording and playing back fine on the Dahua NVR I have running as backup while I get BI set up completely.

Any clues mates? 20230727_214952.jpg20230727_215014.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post your video settings from within the camera interface.

Why would you need to go under your house to disconnect the camera?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Post your video settings from within the camera interface.

Why would you need to go under your house to disconnect the camera?
My PoE switch is under the house along with my original Dahua NVR. It's in a cool, dry and dust free location... and can't be easily found.

My BI winbox is on my desk until I'm finished getting it right then it will go there in place of the Dahua. Screenshot_20230727_232058_Firefox.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try the following:

Smart Codec OFF
H264
10 FPS
CBR
10 iframes

If that camera doesn't have an iframe setting, then that is probably the yellow triangle warning and nothing you can do about that.

The whacked out playback is probably because smart codec is on.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TLDR: unplugging the camera fixed this.

Full fluff post:
Some closure... changing the codec and other suggested settings didn't fix this. I poked around settings and found a couple of inconsistencies in the cam's UI when compared to other identical cams, but changing them didn't help either. FWIW, I have no idea how these settings... Discovery/ONVIF port and PTZ protocol (plus those picked up by Fenderman) changed... but that's another topic.

Anyway, I'd made settings changes as advised, aligned everything with other working cams, restarted the cam, gone to last most stable BI, rebooted everything* and still had no joy. Realtime was OK, trigger thumbnails OK, Dahua NVR playback OK... but BI still played back garbled.

Doing a hard restart on the cam cleared it, as per time-saving intro. I'm going to admit that I may not have rebooted the cam from its UI.

Cheers!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
TLDR: unplugging the camera fixed this.

Full fluff post:
Some closure... changing the codec and other suggested settings didn't fix this. I poked around settings and found a couple of inconsistencies in the cam's UI when compared to other identical cams, but changing them didn't help either. FWIW, I have no idea how these settings... Discovery/ONVIF port and PTZ protocol (plus those picked up by Fenderman) changed... but that's another topic.

Anyway, I'd made settings changes as advised, aligned everything with other working cams, restarted the cam, gone to last most stable BI, rebooted everything* and still had no joy. Realtime was OK, trigger thumbnails OK, Dahua NVR playback OK... but BI still played back garbled.

Doing a hard restart on the cam cleared it, as per time-saving intro. I'm going to admit that I may not have rebooted the cam from its UI.

Cheers!
Restarting the cam may have simply reset the smart codec temporarily. This exact issue is caused by using smart codec as it creates a dynamic iframe interval. It is simply not compatible with blue iris and will100 percent cause miss recorded video.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Restarting the cam may have simply reset the smart codec temporarily. This exact issue is caused by using smart codec as it creates a dynamic iframe interval. It is simply not compatible with blue iris and will100 percent cause miss recorded video.
Yes, sorry if it sounded like I was discounting Smart Codec being enabled as the root cause, my long point was that changing the setting didn't clear the problem until after a full reboot. The cam didn't demand it (as it does with some changes), and no amount of work in BI would accept/acknowledge the change made in the cam UI.

I'm curious how these settings changed... but nowhere near enough to investigate!

Just trying to add to the info bank...