Yet another New bloke looking for help....with a Hikvision NVR and Lilin IP camera

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score

Hello All.

I'm new to this forum (and to the world of NVRs & IP cameras in general) and looking for some advice.

I'm looking to add a simple home surveillance system, with no requirement for Internet connectivity, to my property.

I bought a Hikvision DS 7608 NVR & a Lilin iMegapro IP camera, and naively thought all I had to do was plug them in and record away.

Three frustrating days later and I still haven't even managed to get the NVR to recognise the IP camera, never mind get it to do anything flash, like record!

I've tried everything I can think of, but just cannot get the two to talk to each other.

For some reason the IP camera screen shows 8 IP cameras with sequential IP addresses, but the system won't allow me to add further cameras or delete the pre-existing ones in order to make room.

Editing the preset camera details doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

I know the IP camera works, as I've tested it by connecting it directly to my laptop.

I am now completely at a loss for what to do next.

Is there anyone out there who has the time to lead a complete duffer by the nose through the setup procedure?

......I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Yet another New bloke looking for help....with a Hikvision NVR and Lilin IP camer

For some reason the IP camera screen shows 8 IP cameras with sequential IP addresses, but the system won't allow me to add further cameras or delete the pre-existing ones in order to make room.
Assumption - your 7608 is a 7608N-E2/8P with 8 PoE ports as you mentioned existing 8 off sequential addresses.
You need to pick one of the ports in camera Configuration, select it, and use 'Modify' instead of Add.

Assumption - the camera is powered separately.

Suggestions to try:

Pick one of the PoE ports, note down the IP address it has, change the mode to Manual.
The data sheet implies the camera is ONVIF compatible.
Download and install the very useful Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Plug the camera back in the LAN, and we'll assume it is getting a DHCP address from your router. If not - how did you connect to it with the laptop?
Start ONVIF Device Manager. Use the user and password details that you logged in to the camera with for the login (top left).
Assuming the camera is found:
In the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page, find the 'ONVIF port', the number part if any between the IP address and the rest of the URL. If no number - the port is 80.
At the bottom of the Live Video page, note down the RTSP string.
In the Network Settings page, check what the RTSP port is.

Now - in the NVR Camera Configuration, on the port you have picked:
Set the IP address to that of the camera while it is still on the LAN. Leave the camera connected to the LAN.
First try an ONVIF selection, using the 'ONVIF port' you got from ODM, the username and password that is used for the camera login.
Click OK and check 'Live View' for the camera.

If that works OK, you should be able via the camera web GUI to change the camera IP address to the original PoE port IP address that you noted down.
Change the NVR PoE port IP address to that same address that it originally had.
Move the camera network connection to the PoE port and it should still work.

Another option is to use a 'Generic RTSP' connection, by the creation of a 'Custom protocol' in the Camera Management menu of the NVR.
For this you will need to know the RTSP port, and the RTSP string shown by ODM, that is the whole part after the camera IP address, including the leading '/'.
Good luck!