"You are obviously very new to surveillance and as such are chasing specs like the fool you are"

Reaction score
Digging for some info I came accross this forum, and this phrase was in one of the first posts I saw. And I loved it. It was directed at someone else but man, it hit right at home for me on all 3 levels. I am new, I am chasing specs, and I'm in all likelyhood going aobut it very foolishly.

How do I do it less foolishly? I know there are layers and layers to it all, but any tips are appreciated, no matter how seemingly small.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome!

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Of importance is the MP/sensor ratio. Only buy cameras that have a MP/sensor ratio in the green. Many cheap cameras throw 4K on a sensor designed for 2MP and thus the 2MP is the better camera when comparing the two.

1714228986788.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Digging for some info I came accross this forum, and this phrase was in one of the first posts I saw. And I loved it. It was directed at someone else but man, it hit right at home for me on all 3 levels. I am new, I am chasing specs, and I'm in all likelyhood going aobut it very foolishly.

How do I do it less foolishly? I know there are layers and layers to it all, but any tips are appreciated, no matter how seemingly small.
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

As mentioned above, don't get caught up in megapixel craze...a 4K/8MP cam might be great but for sure it will need to have a 1/1.2" sensor to be near decent at night under little or no ambient light....especially if there's motion.

Sure you can find a 4K/8MP with perhaps a smaller 1/2.8" sensor at half the price and it may look great during a bright day but a night, even with its own IR, the shutter would have to be slowed down so much to let in enough light to produce an image that any motion is blurred...and when was the last time you saw someone skulking around at night that was NOT moving around?

The all-around go-to cam is the 4MP turret with a 1/1.8" sensor from Empire Tech, sold by member @EMPIRETECANDY :

This one is available with 2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm:

EmpireTech 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Ultra Low Light Starlight+ IR Turret AI IP Camera SMD 3.0,AcuPick,IP67,Support POE and ePOE,Built-in Mic,Vehicle and Human Detection,S3 Version IPC-T54IR-AS 2.8mm

or for $35 more, a vari-focal lens:

EmpireTech 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS Ultra Low Light IP Camera,Starlight IR Motorized 2.7mm-12mm Lens,IP67,Built-in Mic,POE and ePOE,Vehicle and Human Detection,AcuPic,SMD 3.0,S3 Version IPC-T54IR-ZE White

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @Brotherblues

1) Determine what it is you want to accomplish.
2) Get a decent 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal IP PoE camera, a good length of cat5e cable with copper wires of 23 or 24 AWG, a small PoE switch, and look for examples of a test rig. Then start learning what is possible and realistic.
3) Once you learn more you can better determine what the next steps are.

Often we are attempting to ID a person with a security video image capture, so check out the DORI section of the cliff notes for more info on that. ( hint, the range to ID is actually far shorter than new people imagine )