zerotier and blue iris blues

Smersch

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings, My remote access to BI stopped working suddenly a couple days ago. Not sure why, but it did. Now I cannot get any connection regardless if I try port forwarding or ZeroTier. I do not want to use port forwarding, however, I had been using it because it worked then stopped. Also, this is a great time to stop using it. But nothing works now except Blue Iris on my dedicated machine. Thus am trying to get zerotier to work; which I knew nothing about until a couple days ago.

To install zerotier I used whatever videos I can to install zerotier on my dedicated BI machine -- primarily Learn Blue Iris' . However, accessing remotely has not been fruitful; neither by LAN nor WAN. If I try to access BI via the LAN (webpage) I get a timeout error. If I try to access Blue Iris via the iPhone app it just sits and spins for 10s of minutes (photo below). How long does it take to log into blue iris using zerotier?

I followed as best I could Learn Blue Iris' youtube video (some things had changed or were not explained well) without success. Other videos in this forum used last year are no longer available. With respect to zerotier, it appears everything in zerotier is working properly as the VPN client on my iPhone is active and ZeroTier Central shows a connection with the devices. Yet nothing, I cannot get a remote connection. Rather befuddling, especially when I read that many people don't have problems with it. From what I understand, one does not go through the router address to get to zerotier's BI address.

Synology RT2600ac router
Dedicated HP Envy with Win 11 Home
i5-7400 CPU
BI v 5.7.7.18

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings, My remote access to BI stopped working suddenly a couple days ago. Not sure why, but it did. Now I cannot get any connection regardless if I try port forwarding or ZeroTier. I do not want to use port forwarding, however, I had been using it because it worked then stopped. Also, this is a great time to stop using it. But nothing works now except Blue Iris on my dedicated machine. Thus am trying to get zerotier to work; which I knew nothing about until a couple days ago.

To install zerotier I used whatever videos I can to install zerotier on my dedicated BI machine -- primarily Learn Blue Iris' . However, accessing remotely has not been fruitful; neither by LAN nor WAN. If I try to access BI via the LAN (webpage) I get a timeout error. If I try to access Blue Iris via the iPhone app it just sits and spins for 10s of minutes (photo below). How long does it take to log into blue iris using zerotier?

I followed as best I could Learn Blue Iris' youtube video (some things had changed or were not explained well) without success. Other videos in this forum used last year are no longer available. With respect to zerotier, it appears everything in zerotier is working properly as the VPN client on my iPhone is active and ZeroTier Central shows a connection with the devices. Yet nothing, I cannot get a remote connection. Rather befuddling, especially when I read that many people don't have problems with it. From what I understand, one does not go through the router address to get to zerotier's BI address.

Synology RT2600ac router
Dedicated HP Envy with Win 11 Home
i5-7400 CPU
BI v 5.7.7.18
You need to fix your terminology and understand what LAN and WAN mean.
First are you able to access blue iris if you use the machines LAN address (not zerotier)?

Smersch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion. No, I cannot access blue iris from anything but the machine it is on. I’ve tried setting the network from private to public and back to. I understand LAN vs WAN, but I get a quick timeout error when using LAN when I try to access BI from my Mac using Firefox.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I cannot access blue iris from anything but the machine it is on. I’ve tried setting the network from private to public and back to. I do understand lan vs wan. I get a quick timeout error when using LAN
You dont understand the terms if you say you cannot access remotely by lan.
Your issue is obviously not with zerotier.
Check user permissions in BI. Check to see if BI is not blocking access because you have too many failed logins. Are you able to access the UI3 web interface from the machine blue iris is on or just the software application itself?

Smersch

n3wb
Reaction score
First, I do appreciate any and all help. Second, I guess my problem is using the term "remotely" when trying to use a web interface to access blue iris from a machine on my network. So no, I cannot access blue iris from my local machine, only by using the software itself. I get an "Unable to connect" error. I thought it was a time out error but its an unable to connect error, which is completely different. When trying to use the app on my iPhone it just won't connect at all and that is when I am using WAN (I have wireless disconnected on my iPhone). As far as user permissions, I only see that I have no time limits set. I do not see anything regarding failed logins.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, I do appreciate any and all help. Second, I guess my problem is using the term "remotely" when trying to use a web interface to access blue iris from a machine on my network. So no, I cannot access blue iris from my local machine, only by using the software itself. I get an "Unable to connect" error. I thought it was a time out error but its an unable to connect error, which is completely different. When trying to use the app on my iPhone it just won't connect at all and that is when I am using WAN (I have wireless disconnected on my iPhone). As far as user permissions, I only see that I have no time limits set. I do not see anything regarding failed logins.
In the webserver tab is the box checked to bind exclusively to a specific adapter?

Smersch

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running eset. I even went as far as uninstalling eset and disabling the windows firewall to test those parameters.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running eset. I even went as far as uninstalling eset and disabling the windows firewall to test those parameters.
uninstall eset and reboot for all further testing. Triple check your lan ip and port

Smersch

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, the iPhone app just showed my cameras. Horrah. Now if I can get the webpage on my Mac to work.

Edit: I got the webpage on my LAN to work by inputting the zerotier address. Thank you for your help fenderman. A firewall in Eset must have been blocking the zerotier address.

Last edited: