Zone crossing help

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New BI user. DS enabled.
Please see pictures. I have zone crossing setup and I'm trying to get an alert when there is movement from zone C to B. The alerts seem to work randomly, with no consistency that I can find. I have tried changing so many things with no luck. In Zone B and Zone C alerts, I can see the clips when there is movement. Can someone please look at the settings I have? Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thank You
BiZones.PNGtriggerSettings.PNGpushNotification.PNG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What does your zone A look like is it completely filled?
From help file:

Zones may or may not overlap. This does not affect use for masking, but it may affect the
way that object detection functions. An object is considered to have been in or traveled to a
zone if the center point of that object touches the zone.

Of important note, a motion detection object as used by object detection and tracking must
always exist in one or more zones.
This means there must be continuous zone coverage through
areas where an object is being tracked.
Instead of worrying about zones overlapping or
abutting, it is much easier to just setup one zone to be used as an overall “mask” and then
draw additional zones to be used with object detection and tracking. For example, if zone A
is left as representing the entire image, you may then draw smaller zones B and C anywhere
on the image, and then apply an object tracking rule B>C without consideration of how
those zones are aligned or spaced.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris Support posted a 90 minute Webinar on "Triggers and Alerts 101" last November. Very informative and you will find many answers to your zone crossing question.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does your zone A look like is it completely filled?
From help file:

Zones may or may not overlap. This does not affect use for masking, but it may affect the
way that object detection functions. An object is considered to have been in or traveled to a
zone if the center point of that object touches the zone.

Of important note, a motion detection object as used by object detection and tracking must
always exist in one or more zones.
This means there must be continuous zone coverage through
areas where an object is being tracked.
Instead of worrying about zones overlapping or
abutting, it is much easier to just setup one zone to be used as an overall “mask” and then
draw additional zones to be used with object detection and tracking. For example, if zone A
is left as representing the entire image, you may then draw smaller zones B and C anywhere
on the image, and then apply an object tracking rule B>C without consideration of how
those zones are aligned or spaced.
Yes, ZoneA is completely filled , I left it at default.
Isn't the "motion detection" part of this working if I can see that it's listed in Zone B and C clips?

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris Support posted a 90 minute Webinar on "Triggers and Alerts 101" last November. Very informative and you will find many answers to your zone crossing question.

I have seen that video and others, and I believe I have it set correctly. Do you see anything wrong in the pictures/settings above?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using Edge Vector or Simple? Many have reported issues trying to do zone crossing with Edge Vector.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you post some examples of when it missed?

There will be times that it can be difficult - if the colors are all kinda the same or a nighttime or certain light conditions, etc.

What is total load of computer? As we start adding more things like DS, etc., the CPU can start to play a bigger role on keeping up or not.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have 5 cameras, using sub streams and optimized. CPU load 8%,
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

wittaj.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So since you have in the object crosses zone the letter "A", then it will trigger for anything in A.

If you only want what goes from C into B, then remove the A from the object crosses block.

Then in the Triggered block you have all of the zones selected. Uncheck the zones you don't want it to trigger.

For the alert, then If you only want what is in B, then you need to just select B and if you are using DS, then put person, car in the required AI box.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So since you have in the object crosses zone the letter "A", then it will trigger for anything in A.

If you only want what goes from C into B, then remove the A from the object crosses block.

Then in the Triggered block you have all of the zones selected. Uncheck the zones you don't want it to trigger.

For the alert, then If you only want what is in B, then you need to just select B and if you are using DS, then put person, car in the required AI box.
I had tried this previously, when I removed A from the object cross block, I would not get any notification (by that I mean the confirmed DS alerts) of when cars drive on the road. Is it not possible to have both?

Also, how come I got an push notification for this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So are you saying the ones where you drew a red line that you didn't get an alert for those and you wanted one? If you want those, then check block A on the Trigger zones and sources screen.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So are you saying the ones where you drew a red line that you didn't get an alert for those and you wanted one? If you want those, then check block A on the Trigger zones and sources screen.
Yes.
If I select A, then wouldn't I get alerts for any cars that are passing thru the road?
Since it's picked up by Zone B and Zone C alerts, shouldn't I get a push notification?

I appreciate your responses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, yes you should get alerts then.

Open up the .txt log file. The one in BI doesn't show everything. The full log file should show if there were an issue.

bjohnrini

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, yes you should get alerts then.

Open up the .txt log file. The one in BI doesn't show everything. The full log file should show if there were an issue.
Unfortunately, the logs in the C:\BlueIRis\log folder don't revealing anything that I can see.