Zoom for fixed lens chart?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have seen someone post a chart that shows what vari-vocal zoom numbers are equivalent to 2.8mm, 3.6mm fixed lens etc. I'm using a 5442 to see what the FOV would look like for a 3.6mm fixed lens camera at a certain location. Looking for help finding that post with the conversion info and can't find it. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind many have shown they are approximate and the conversions aren't going to match up exactly. They will be close, but the fixed lens might show more or less than the varifocal set to same number.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Keep in mind many have shown they are approximate and the conversions aren't going to match up exactly. They will be close, but the fixed lens might show more or less than the varifocal set to same number.

Appreciate it, exactly what I was looking for!

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar question to the OP but am not equipped with the security camera knowledge to understand.

To use the Dahua 5442 as an example, what are the 2mm, 3.6, and 6mm lens equivalents when it comes to full-frame camera lens focal lengths? E.g if the camera I had was the classic Canon 5D Mk III, what would the lense equivalents of 2, 3.6, and 6mm?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a similar question to the OP but am not equipped with the security camera knowledge to understand.

To use the Dahua 5442 as an example, what are the 2mm, 3.6, and 6mm lens equivalents when it comes to full-frame camera lens focal lengths? E.g if the camera I had was the classic Canon 5D Mk III, what would the lense equivalents of 2, 3.6, and 6mm?

You will find there is no real comparison between the focal lengths of these cameras and "real" cameras.

Heck even taking the 5442 6mm fixed lens and setting up the 5442-ZE to the equivalent 6mm and you will find the field of view is different for both. The 5442-ZE had to be set to a 9mm equivalent to get the same field of view as the 5442 6mm fixed lens.

You can see a member here demonstrated this: