Zoom not working on BI. works on web page

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
camera: IPC-HDW5231R-Z

I had a trial of Blue Iris working on a borrowed laptop until my new Dell Optiplex came. Once I got the Dell, I purchased and installed Blue Iris.

When I had the trial running, I was able to control the optical zoom with the zoom in and zoom out buttons in BI. Now that I have it installed on a new PC, I can't use the optical zoom. Digital zoom works fine with mouse scroll. I do have "enable pan/tilt/zoom" box checked.

I had zoom working with this camera under the trial on the borrowed laptop, and I can confirm that zoom still works when I log into the camera directly, it works fine.

I've tried setting the camera to generic and also all 3 of the Dahua models that are listed (the one I have is not listed at all in BI). I've also deleted and re-added the camera a few times.

I'm guessing that I've done something wrong, in the camera setup. Anyone else run into this before? Can anyone point me where to look?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a misconfiguration. Possibly you've got the wrong port number entered for it. I'm fairly sure it wants to use port 80. The camera model you should have selected on the PTZ/Control tab is Dahua HFW2300R-Z/2320R-ZS/81200E.

katamara

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a misconfiguration. Possibly you've got the wrong port number entered for it. I'm fairly sure it wants to use port 80. The camera model you should have selected on the PTZ/Control tab is Dahua HFW2300R-Z/2320R-ZS/81200E.
Thanks. Changing the camera in the PTZ/Control tab worked. I can now zoom again. Funny, I do not remember doing that in the trial.

Did you use find/inspect to add it?
Yes. I used the find/inspect. Is this a good or bad thing to use when adding cameras?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typically it's good to use find/inspect, as that should pull all the needed info from the cam.

You do understand, that cam is meant to be setup with the proper zoom for FOV you need, and then left alone. It's not intended to be used to zoom in and out all the time.

100 td

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's just software, the zoom on the camera is accomplished with a motor that mechanically adjusts the lens each time.
They way I read it, it sounded like you were saying not to use BI to zoom in/out. I know it's an electro/mechanical lens. Are you saying you shouldn't use the BI software to detect when zoomed in, then zoom out for overall picture?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They way I read it, it sounded like you were saying not to use BI to zoom in/out. I know it's an electro/mechanical lens. Are you saying you shouldn't use the BI software to detect when zoomed in, then zoom out for overall picture?
What he is saying is you are wasting your time....log into the camera interface and set the specified zoom level you want...this is not meant to be used as a zoom camera..its motorized varifocal, to be used at the time of install...you cannot set presets...