ZYXEL 1900 MANAGED SWITCH

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What does ipconfig say the ip of your PC is?
I think you are saying you are having difficulty entering the new ip in the switch? Maybe it wants a Gateway before it allows a change.
How do you know what the router IP is? If it is 192.168.10.254 , that is what you enter for the Gateway.
Try entering that when you are changing the switch IP.
Also what type of router?

There's a number of switches that are managed but will work as an unmanaged switch and this one just might.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a number of switches that are managed but will work as an unmanaged switch and this one just might.
This one wont...at the very least you need to configure the ip address properly...thats the issues hes having..

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ipconfig shows the Ethernet IP address, IPV4 as 169.254.172.73
Wireless lan IP address 192.168.10.1
The router/modem is visionnet DSL
Yes I have tried entering the gateway address also one of my many combinations.
There is problem entering an address in the switch it excepts whatever I enter. After enters I go back and change the network ip to automatic. It is when I try to renter the switch that’s where the failure is, using 192.168.1.1.

I have set up 5 cameras so far without problem through the switch.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So that 169.254.172.73 is what windows does when there is no IP assigned by dhcp. You are set up for a DHCP server but the DHCP server was not found so your system defaults to Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA). The 169.xxx stuff. So your PC is using a wireless connection, looks like. Is it a laptop? If this is to be a BI machine, you will want a wired connection and not a laptop.

So you will need to disable the wifi and connect via ethernet. Or have a drink.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like a cool switch. I'm going to order the 16 port since I need a fanless 16. Like the no wall wart.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It a dell XPS i7-6700 desktop. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the computer from the switch not the router. I can easily connect to the router/ modem. My Barrell Bourbon is I my hand as we speak. So Ethernet from the router/ modem to the switch?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t believe you can get a 16 port fanless in zyxel. This one is fanless.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It a dell XPS i7-6700 desktop. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the computer from the switch not the router. I can easily connect to the router/ modem. My Barrell Bourbon is I my hand as we speak. So Ethernet from the router/ modem to the switch?
Nice choice. So it appears your PC is using a wifi connection. That needs to be disabled and you need to use the wired connection.
You really can benefit from watching some youtube tutorials on tcp/ip networking. Maybe someone here has a favorite they can link. I find most of them pretty good if the presenter isn't boring.

Respectfully, you are in a bit over your head and the only way to get out is to learn more. We can help but we cannot spoon feed.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks NoloC don’t worry about insulting me I have all sorts of bullet proof vests at my disposal. The OCD one is the most popular. I will look for more tutorials on the subject.

The thing is all my cameras are hooked to the switch and all the cameras can be accessed via web browser. It’s only the switch that can’t be. I’m going to setup all the cameras and get them into BI. I’ll put this little problem on the back burner until I get the system up and running. Many thanks to you and Mr. F for your patience.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stanley I love your attitude and sense of humor.

The problem is a simple one. You need to get the switch on the same subnet as the PC and everything else. It appears the wired connection to your PC is not active and you are using the wireless. Disable the wireless and connect the PC direct to the router. Then check the IP with ipconfig and you should see the wired adapter's address somewhere in the same subnet 192.168.10.xxx. The wireless should be disabled. With all devices on the same subnet, they can all talk to each other.

Of course you will first need to set the switch IP to the 10 subnet as you have tried in the past. This seems to have been unsuccessful to date. Not sure why you were not able to see the switch over the wifi connection which was on the 10 subnet. But I think it best to disable the wifi and use the wired.

Good Luck!

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NoloC I have succeeded. Based upon your input and that of Mr. F the puzzle has been solve.
I disabled the wireless internet. Upon doing this I was able to find the ip of the network using ipconfig. I then changed the settings under network connections. I disabled auto detect and inserted 192.168.1.5 per Mr. F. Upon doing this the internet connection was lost. I was then able to access the switch using 192.168.1.1.

While installing my Hikvision cameras,using the SADA utility, I was able to enter the camera software and make adjustments. The unity picked a free IP address for the camera. The camera software also allows you to test the IP address so I just entered a bunch of addresses and recorded the ones shown to be not in use. Probable not the correct way to find a free IP but I used one of these and entered it into the switch. I went back to network connections and placed it back to auto. I typed the new IP address entered in the switch into the web browser and Bingo success. All the cameras still worked and I could see what was happening on each port. I even connected the second switch and the cameras worked there also. I haven’t set up a new IP for that one yet. Don’t want to push my luck.

However I have an even bigger problem I drank my months allotment of Bourbon in just three days. Many thanks again to the both of you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
NoloC I have succeeded. Based upon your input and that of Mr. F the puzzle has been solve.
I disabled the wireless internet. Upon doing this I was able to find the ip of the network using ipconfig. I then changed the settings under network connections. I disabled auto detect and inserted 192.168.1.5 per Mr. F. Upon doing this the internet connection was lost. I was then able to access the switch using 192.168.1.1.

While installing my Hikvision cameras,using the SADA utility, I was able to enter the camera software and make adjustments. The unity picked a free IP address for the camera. The camera software also allows you to test the IP address so I just entered a bunch of addresses and recorded the ones shown to be not in use. Probable not the correct way to find a free IP but I used one of these and entered it into the switch. I went back to network connections and placed it back to auto. I typed the new IP address entered in the switch into the web browser and Bingo success. All the cameras still worked and I could see what was happening on each port. I even connected the second switch and the cameras worked there also. I haven’t set up a new IP for that one yet. Don’t want to push my luck.

However I have an even bigger problem I drank my months allotment of Bourbon in just three days. Many thanks again to the both of you.
remember to hit save at the top, not just apply on the bottom...if you only hit apply all your settings will be lost if you power cycle the switch.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mr. F execellent advise but that horse left the barn already. While basking in my success I shut down everything. The up side I can now do this in my sleep. My advise, through experience now, to anyone wanting just a few cameras like me to hell with a managed switch. Great experience though.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I’ll have to say it’s been conquered.:) The switch is working and still does even if I turn off the switch, reboot the computer or pick it up and shake it.:) Now it’s only an eight port and all the ports are used up. Time to get another:(. Cameras even work. Now to set them up in BI.