Zyxel Switch

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm new around here and know very little about ip camera systems. Can anyone tell me how to connect two
Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Switch, 70W PoE+, Easy Smart Managed, Fanless, (GS1900-8HP) together. I can't seem to find a reasonable 16 port switch. Other options?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new around here and know very little about ip camera systems. Can anyone tell me how to connect two
Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Switch, 70W PoE+, Easy Smart Managed, Fanless, (GS1900-8HP) together. I can't seem to find a reasonable 16 port switch. Other options?

plug one into the other...
note, you must change the default poe mode in that switch from classification to consumption mode...otherwise it will only power 4 cams...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, another dumb question, use cat5 cable connected port to port from each other? Then I loose two of 16 ports?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would this work?

ZyXEL GS1900-24HP 24-Port GbE Smart Managed PoE Switch with GbE Uplink $245.00

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where would the noise come from there are fanless? Or are you talking about a different type noise?

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From their website description you'd think all Zyxel GS1900-XHP models are fanless, including the 24 and 48 port versions. You have to search a bit to find pics that show the 24 & 48 port versions do have fans on the side. I'm not sure just how much fan they need for smaller installations though. Would a set of quiet fans be enough for home use, with say a handful of cams, maybe 1 ptz, and an AP or 2?

I'm looking at some steals on used eqpt on ebay and the 24-48port units are common. I just want to be sure I'm not adding another noise maker for my wife to complain about (it's in a closed closet, but just outside our entertainment area).

Kev

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From their website description you'd think all Zyxel GS1900-XHP
models are fanless, including the 24 and 48 port versions. You have to search a bit to find pics that show the 24 & 48 port versions do have fans on the side.
the website is clear that they have fans...its listed in the specs...under "fanless"

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How'd I miss that?! Apologies, I gotta stop browsing from my phone.

I tend to McGyver everything I get my hands on, from empty soda cans to industrial robotics; so if it's too loud I will likely hack on some big quiet fan.

Does anyone have opinions on older enterprise poe switches... models to look for, or avoid?

Cisco alternatives seem to have more bang/buck, but then I'd have to get more comfy with Packet Tracer first. So I'm leaning towards options with a webui to jump start my cam setup; Seems the 48 port versions are more common, and priced similarly to the 24port versions (and they look more professional, LOL). I'm currently leaning toward either an hp procurve 2610-48-pwr, or a zyxel gs1900-48hp. Would either of these be a decent choice? Pros/cons between the 2 (I know gbe ports, but what else? the hp is much cheaper)

Kev

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 24 port is very loud on the fans I think. But a nice switch

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 24 port in an install. Luckily, it is not in an area that gets used. It is loud. Good switch, just wouldn't use it where it would be heard.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys... choochoo I bet that looks sweet when it's finished.

Deciding between having 2 or 3 8port switches without noise vs a 24-48 that would need a fan hack. Unfortunately wiring it to a place that can be noisy isn't an option. I don't like the idea of having a bunch of smaller switches tangled together, plus that route would cost more.

Given the tradeoffs, I am leaning toward the fans. My reasoning (besides obviously cost) is I can't "fix" a messy multi-small switch install, but I can work on solving the noise problem.

Kev

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can't deal with the considerable noise of a 24 port PoE switch, I suggest getting as many 8-port PoE switches as you need and uplinking them all to a 5 or 8 port non-poe gigabit switch. 9 port (8 PoE + 1 uplink) unmanaged switches exist in the $60-80 ballpark.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. My concern with that setup is splitting my poe ap's from the cams (2 vlans) would require at least 2 unmanaged poe switches. I think I would end up spending as much on 1 managed non-poe, and 2 unmanaged poe switches. That would also be messy compared to a single 24 managed poe (~$300 for a zyxel gs190p-24hp brand new).

The thing I like about the multi 8 setup though, is it would allow a cheaper 100T poe for the cams. I was leaning away from a used 24port hp 100T, and looking at zyxel 24 gbe poe to provide a good uplink to pc's. If I do use a 24p managed poe, there will be a few vlans on it for just pc's, vs a separate non poe gbe unit if I did the multi 8port setup.

Hmm, more to ponder before I go on a shopping spree.

Kev

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It isn't so much the power I am concerned about, but separating poe ap's from cams (need at least 2 poe vlans).

So I took the jump after finding a steal on an hp 1910-24G. It looks like a bit more switch vs zyxel 1900; double the power budget, and lite L3 features... plus i heard the cli can be modded to add some features that make it similar to much higher end switches. For $135 I couldn't resist.

Now I just have to see how much the noise gets through the closet door (I installed that door with tight gaps). If it is too much, my plan is to remove the 3 40mm fans and scab a shroud on the side for a 90mm fan. It is going in custom shelving; so I am not worried about it fitting in a rack either way.

Wish me luck,
Kev

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hope nobody gets pissed about me waking a sleeping thread, but while I was on the forums I figured I should add that the switch was very noisy. It contained (get ready) 6x 40mm Delta screamers... no wonder it sounded like an aircraft carrier! I originally thought it only had 3x 40mm fans (that I could see without opening it up) so I ordered 3 Noctuas. When they arrived and I went to install them, and was surprised to find 3 more fans in the power supply area, lol! So I got out my spare change and ordered 3 more Noctua 40mm fans (6 in total), installed them all (without silencing resistors), and grounded the RPM signal wires of the switch. Note you do have to ground the switch RPM cables, otherwise the switch will be flooded with fan errors (Noctua's RPM is lower than the switch's fan warning threshold, and I couldn't figure out a way to reprogram it). The 3 fans you can see from outside the case are easy to replace. The other 3 are in the power supply box; those require a little more care in routing the wires since there is little room.

She is now much quieter, and acceptably cool despite being in my ~85F server closet. This closet has no sound barrier (just a hollow door with a .75" undercut), and it sits ~8' from the couch in my living room. Nobody even notices the noise now, unless it's quiet and they walk right by the door. I was caught off guard since I only planned on buying 3 fans, but at the end of the day now I am happy with the cost/features/reliability.

Kevin

PtolemyIV

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question regarding these zyxel gs1900-8hp switches.. I read a lot of recommendations for them about since they are smart managed switches - but based upon my reading of specs, they don't seem to support port-specific power-cycling? Isn't this one of the primary pros of having a managed vs unmanaged switch that everyone extols?

Hopefully someone will correct me and tell me these switches can indeed do power-cylcing..