10 cameras - Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know how my setup went.
I'm running:
Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 LGA 1150 Z97 Gaming Audio and Networking ATX Motherboard
16 GB RAM
SSD startup disk
Windows 10
I'll be moving one of the 4TB WD Purple drives from my Dahua NVR to this box.

I've got:
8 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z turrets
1 Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS mini dome
1 HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP bullet

I'm averaging around 55-60% CPU usage with Blue Iris. I'm using direct to disk, continuous recording and motion detection on all cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know how my setup went.
I'm running:
Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3 LGA 1150 Z97 Gaming Audio and Networking ATX Motherboard
16 GB RAM
SSD startup disk
Windows 10
I'll be moving one of the 4TB WD Purple drives from my Dahua NVR to this box.

I've got:
8 Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z turrets
1 Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS mini dome
1 HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP bullet

I'm averaging around 55-60% CPU usage with Blue Iris. I'm using direct to disk, continuous recording and motion detection on all cameras.
Your load should be lower..are you using hardware acceleration? Are you viewing on a local monitor? are you still running the demo?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds a little high. i7 4790 here with 6 x 3MP (plus 4 x 640px) cameras and I'm only at 10%. As mentioned above are you running the demo still?

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
that load is high i am running a I7-3770 8gb-ram
and 25 camera's
with around 50% rdping into box

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have blue IRIS setup but was considering it.

I also have 8 Dahua Cameras as well as a few Amcreset Cameras.

Blue IRIS list the recommended settings as an I7 CPU however you are running an I5 possible last generation CPU?

How smooth is your recordings? Are you able to do playback and record at the same time, navigate, search,etc...?

My Dahau DVR I think is defective. I can't even do playback without freezing. Its like its lacking the CPU or memory or something which is why I am looking at doing a Blue IRIS DVR on a PC.

Thanks.
This i5 is a few years old. I'm not sure why they recommend an i7. Perhaps if you can't do direct to disk?

In any case, recordings seem to be the same quality as what the NVR is recording. In fact, even better because I don't get missed frames on events. So super nice in that respect.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your load should be lower..are you using hardware acceleration? Are you viewing on a local monitor? are you still running the demo?
I have the full version. However, you're quite right I did not have the Intel hardware acceleration enabled in the options. With Blue Iris Minimized I'm running at 29% CPU usage now. Thanks!

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Run it as a service also so you don't need the application window open at all

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the full version. However, you're quite right I did not have the Intel hardware acceleration enabled in the options. With Blue Iris Minimized I'm running at 29% CPU usage now. Thanks!
If you want to keep the window open and reduce cpu..there is an option to reduce live view fps, it will not effect recording...

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to keep the window open and reduce cpu..there is an option to reduce live view fps, it will not effect recording...
Done and done.

I'm already loving the extra configurability of Blue Iris. Being able to configure separate motion zones and trigger on them is really nice. Lets me check at a glance if someone came to the door vs a car driving by.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Done and done.

I'm already loving the extra configurability of Blue Iris. Being able to configure separate motion zones and trigger on them is really nice. Lets me check at a glance if someone came to the door vs a car driving by.
Note that motion zones and sensitivly settings are profile depended so you can change them up for day vs night..etc..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you get your sea legs with BI, I'm curious to hear your thoughts of its Motion Detection vs Dahua's IVS (especially Intrusion Detection, if you had any experience with that).

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once you get your sea legs with BI, I'm curious to hear your thoughts of its Motion Detection vs Dahua's IVS (especially Intrusion Detection, if you had any experience with that).
I am very curious about this as well. I had a Dahua NVR and ready to jump to Blue Iris if you think it is worth it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No Windows computers in this household and the cameras are all at a remote site 3.5 hrs away. Researching this carefully as it is a big undertaking.
you have access to the camera feeds...use that and run a windows vm if you have for testing....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am very curious about this as well. I had a Dahua NVR and ready to jump to Blue Iris if you think it is worth it?
I just installed the demo about 1.5 hours ago. I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. I've not had a chance to tweak motion detection yet, I'll play with that tomorrow. Making that as reliable as IVS line crossing/intrusion detection is my biggest need.

Remember, in terms of performance, the demo runs with higher CPU usage that the paid version (assuming you're going to run the paid version on a computer that supports the "direct to disk" recording method).

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, good idea!
Yes I used to run VMware Fusion I think on OSX for Windows. You might be able to download free, time limited, Windows VM's from Microsoft for testing and they should do the job for you.

BI uses zones. So I can set up multiple zones on my camera image and have BI detect motion in a zone (intrusion), trigger the alert if an object crosses from one zone to another and so on. I'm still figuring it all out myself but BI is rock solid. I've been running since September without issue.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I used to run VMware Fusion I think on OSX for Windows. You might be able to download free, time limited, Windows VM's from Microsoft for testing and they should do the job for you.
Yup, you can download and install ordinary Windows 10 from microsoft and simply skip entering a key; then you can use it unactivated for testing purposes.