100% Cpu - any solution / driver for 4th gen Haswell ?

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HP G1 600 SFF / i5-4570 / 8GB
12x Hikvision cameras 3mp / 4mp / 5mp

BL version 4.8.4.6
Intel driver - i tried basically every version available, from 2015 to 2018.

BL runs fine at 50% - 60% cpu usage with admin console open, but it will slowly creep to 100% after 10 hours or so.

when it's stuck at 100% CPU, Windows still works and I can see the GPU utilization is down to almost 0. usually GPU is around 30-35% usage.

I don't recall having this problem earlier, but after updating to 4.8.4.6 recently I started to have this problem.

is this really a driver problem? or something else?

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As you installed different Intel drivers, did you make sure Windows wasn't sneakily replacing your driver every time with the same bad version?

I don't run BI on any 4th gen CPUs anymore but I haven't noticed problems with those I run on 2nd, 3rd, or 8th gen yet, several of which are on BI 4.8.4.6.

Steady numbers across the board for me.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Driver Version listed in the GPU details on the BI Updated Helper database the actual driver version that folks are messing around with? If so, would querying the database for that specific processor and using the results to see the graphics drivers being used be helpful for troubleshooting?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that driver version should be accurate, although the db has no idea whether a system suffers from a memory leak or rising-cpu problem.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I made sure windows didn’t replace the drivers. Windows update disabled and I verified the driver version in device manager matches the one i installed.

Everyday I wake up and found BL at 100%. The system still runs but it’s just really slow until I restart BL

Is there a proven hardware / driver ? If I can’t find a solution I’ll just replace this PC with a newer one

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say. I've only experienced the rising CPU problem once and it was very easy to solve by replacing the driver with a different one.

Are you sure the CPU usage rises gradually? Can you see if GPU usage also changes over a span of hours? Specifically the Video Decode usage as seen in task manager > Performance > GPU.

upload_2019-1-15_14-22-3.png

Before buying new hardware I would consider getting the MS media creation tool and creating new win10 installation media and reinstalling the OS and BI and reconfiguring from scratch (you can keep a settings backup from BI but just in case your BI config has developed problems I would not want to restore from it necessarily). It is a lot of work, but so is buying or building a new system on newer hardware and transferring to that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest turning off hardware acceleration but that would probably max out your CPU usage. In fact if your hardware acceleration is failing camera-by-camera, and if BI is reverting temporarily to software decoding, that could explain a gradual rise in CPU usage and drop in video decode GPU usage without it having to be a resource leak of any kind.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like when it's running normally.

When it creeps to 100% CPU, Video Decode will go down to less than 5% or 0%, but overall the system is still responsive and I can manually restart BL to have HW accel again.

Lately I added a few cameras, but they are all set to the same settings and FPS, all Hikvision.

Btw, why is my GPU memory utilization so low compared to yours?

Attachments

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running an i7-4790, which has the Intel Graphics 4600. I am using driver version 20.19.15.4531 and I have BI 4.8.4.6. I haven't noticed any CPU changes since updating BI. I have about 1050 MP/s in cams running, but have to use some limit decode on some to keep the CPU around 30-40%. It may be a worth a try to downgrade to a different BI version to see if your system runs stable, and then try the upgrade again if you need it.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @MikeLi. FWIW: I believe I had elevated CPU issues after installing 4.8.4.6, although no where near as bad as your. You may want to try downgrading to 4.8.4.3.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had been waiting for it to go up to 100% but for some reason it had been stable for over 24 hours....
i did remove motion detection on a few cameras. the heavy rain in Socal lately had been making BL go nuts.

when it goes unstable again I'll post the system info and cpu / gpu graph.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running an i7-4790, which has the Intel Graphics 4600. I am using driver version 20.19.15.4531 and I have BI 4.8.4.6. I haven't noticed any CPU changes since updating BI. I have about 1050 MP/s in cams running, but have to use some limit decode on some to keep the CPU around 30-40%. It may be a worth a try to downgrade to a different BI version to see if your system runs stable, and then try the upgrade again if you need it.
im similar. intel driver version 20.19.15.4835 on an i7-4770k but only about 240 MP/s. no issue with any of the 4.8.4.x versions of BI (currently on 4.8.4.7). I have intel video accel defaulted on for everything in BI and using an nvidia card for my display. i've never played with the quick sync drivers, i just let windows do its thing.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It has been stable for 3 days, still on driver version 4835. the only thing i did was to disable motion detection on one of the cameras, which had some connection problem that goes on and off. maybe it's making the intel driver go crazy.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have only one 4th gen system and it is a NUC-style with insufficient cooling for heavy use. I did run BI on it in the past without any trouble though.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do any of your new cameras use H265 or the smart encoding (H264+/H265+)? The hardware decoding on your CPU won't work with H265, and if there is a lot of recording going on using H265 with your higher MP cams, it can max out the CPU pretty quick. I had to make sure all of my cameras used H264 because H265 would do weird things for recording and CPU/hardware decode.