2 IP Cameras destroying WiFi (2.4GHz)

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
I know is better to have ip cameras connected wired, but I dont like the idea to put a large cable all around my house. I´m working on this right now.

I have 1 WIFI Camera and the network works fine. But if I connect 2 WiFi cameras (just 2) my internet connection drop from 50Mb/s to 1Mb/s.

I tried connecting the cameras to a wifi extender but having same results.

Why? The cameras are connected using WiFi G

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried running IP cameras in turns to test and everything works fine, the problem happens when i connect both of them

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried running IP cameras in turns to test and everything works fine, the problem happens when i connect both of them
What cams? What router? Are these exterior cams?

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
1 exterior Foscam connected to a TP Link Extender
1 interior Vstarcam (PNP H Pangolin or something like that) connected to Router (provided by ISP) also tried connect this cam to extender, now is running in router just for testing.

I no trust in that Vstarcam but running this cam alone I have no problem.

I think is some kind of traffic jam but I don't know why just 100 to 300 Kb can take wifi 2.4 down. I know that this cam are generic ones but the main problem is that I don't understand why the slow down.

First, I thought that is was my Android NVR that was the culprit but know Im testing viewing one camera in a smartphone and the other one in a notebook and the slow down continue happening.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1 exterior Foscam connected to a TP Link Extender
1 interior Vstarcam (PNP H Pangolin or something like that) connected to Router (provided by ISP) also tried connect this cam to extender, now is running in router just for testing.

I no trust in that Vstarcam but running this cam alone I have no problem.

I think is some kind of traffic jam but I don't know why just 100 to 300 Kb can take wifi 2.4 down. I know that this cam are generic ones but the main problem is that I don't understand why the slow down.

First, I thought that is was my Android NVR that was the culprit but know Im testing viewing one camera in a smartphone and the other one in a notebook and the slow down continue happening.
You can run cables in walls for cameras.
Foscam and vstarcam are both low end garbage. if you insist on running wifi you will need a new router and or access points...

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I know they are garbage but can a single faulty camera slow down whole network?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought that WiFi networks share the signal, and only one device can transmit at a time. So if you have multiple WiFi devices transmitting, they have to wait for breaks when no other device is transmitting to get their packets in. When you a device that can be constantly transmitting (like a wifi camera), even though it’s not using a lot of bandwidth (100-300kb, I think you said), other devices on your WiFi network have to try and squeeze their transmissions in around the camera’s.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CaBrA, I have one access point that has a WiFi camera attached to it, plus a few other devices that are connected but aren't usually actively using it.

With only the camera active on that access point, the camera is using about 43% of that 2.4GHz channel.

FE72CD2F-C4B9-4418-9053-FA14F6765ADD.jpeg

AE2B6AFA-9C67-40F9-828F-EAA660917C0C.jpeg

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which app is that?
It's specific to the access points that I use (I have two Unifi AC AP Pro). I switched to Unifi so I could get the extra stats like that. At the end of the day, the only solution for me is to run an ethernet cable to the camera and get this camera off WiFi. I just haven't had time to do it yet.

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
It's specific to the access points that I use (I have two Unifi AC AP Pro). I switched to Unifi so I could get the extra stats like that. At the end of the day, the only solution for me is to run an ethernet cable to the camera and get this camera off WiFi. I just haven't had time to do it yet.
Ok thanks, I don't know why a device using YouTube don't jam the network and the camera yes but I now will try to connect one camera with cable and see

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running 8 wireless 720P cameras using 3 Google WiFi AP's and my wireless network has been rock solid with almost no signal loss for over six months now. I average 46 connected devices on my network with about a 50/50 mix between wired and wireless connections.

Image-1.png

Granted the wireless cameras are only setup to record on motion, but I have them in areas where that is all I need. The BI status screenshot below shows the 8 wireless cameras with no signal loss.

Blue Iris Stats.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 4 access points. With 2 on one set of channels / Sid and the other on a different set of channels/ Sid. Personal devices use one Sid. Home automation use the other side.

Build the network to meet your needs. It is mostly simple math

CaBrA

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 access points. With 2 on one set of channels / Sid and the other on a different set of channels/ Sid. Personal devices use one Sid. Home automation use the other side.

Build the network to meet your needs. It is mostly simple math
Yes, I think is the best. I'll see what can I do cause I don't like the idea of breaking wall for cables.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I think is the best. I'll see what can I do cause I don't like the idea of breaking wall for cables.
You're wasting your time..hire a professional to run.your cable and buy some decent cameras.