djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be installing 2 outdoor cameras at my property (plus 2 extra indoor ones in the near future) and thinking of getting the following items:

- CABLE: Cat6a shielded S/FTP - I realise it's an overkill but trying to make the installation future proof :)

- 2x CAMERAS: DS-2CD2155FWD-I (5MP) or DS-2CD2142FWD-I (4MP) or DS-2CD2342WD-I (4MP) -----> 4mm version

- 1xPOE SWITCH: D-Link DGS-1210-08P or NETGEAR ProSAFE GS110TP ------> 8 ports model

I have a QNAP TS-253A NAS which I run Plex on but also want to use it as Surveillance Station. If it performs well then I will use it as my NVR otherwise will get DS-7604NI-K1/4P.

I'm pretty confident as far as installation part is concerned however can't make my mind up i n terms of choosing the right camera and POE switch. Could someone please suggest which camera and switch shall I go for ?

I'm UK based

Thanks a lot guys

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I did look at Dahua cameras but not so many resellers or offers on UK market. I'm not sure about buying Chinese fakes or not-upgradeable models from Aliexpress though. I'd rather spend a few more £££ and buy UK stock :p

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've purchased ££££'s from @EMPIRETECANDY, Never had an issue or any fakes! From order about 5 - 7 days to delivery to the UK. If you find any UK dealers who are as cheap let me know ;) I guess you will be looking at +£100 min compared to @EMPIRETECANDY

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As above, just received my 5231 from Andy(Empire) today, ordered last thurs iirc and I delayed DHL a day because no one was home yesterday. Great service for UK buyers.

I've now set my Synology to constantly record the sub streams, and I have blue iris motion recording in full res. Might not be efficient but I like it at the moment having just started out.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As above, just received my 5231 from Andy(Empire) today, ordered last thurs iirc and I delayed DHL a day because no one was home yesterday. Great service for UK buyers.

I've now set my Synology to constantly record the sub streams, and I have blue iris motion recording in full res. Might not be efficient but I like it at the moment having just started out.
Depending what Synology you have you may what to think about installing a WD Purple in there as a separate volume and having your "Constantly recording" sub stream to that volume. As that constant writing will not be doing those NAS drives any favours.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending what Synology you have you may what to think about installing a WD Purple in there as a separate volume and having your "Constantly recording" sub stream to that volume. As that constant writing will not be doing those NAS drives any favours.
I'm sorry, but I disagree.
For NAS RAID environments, you do need to use 'NAS' discs such as WD REDs.
They are specifically designed to work reliably in a RAID environment, for example by having such features as the vibration sensors that trigger actions that prevent the effects of 'sympathetic vibrations' when multiple drives are spinning in a drive bay.
NAS drives are designed to do NAS work, which involves much HDD activity.
The RAID system is well able to handle much heavier traffic loads than a set of IPCs will generate.

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's OK, it has WD reds, I'm happy they will cope just fine for now, if they fail I will try purple.

Edit: Both should be fine, WD say they both have '3D active balance plus' and both support TLER, neither support RAFF (redPRO or PurpleNV only) but that's not really an issue I think?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I disagree.
For NAS RAID environments, you do need to use 'NAS' discs such as WD REDs.
They are specifically designed to work reliably in a RAID environment, for example by having such features as the vibration sensors that trigger actions that prevent the effects of 'sympathetic vibrations' when multiple drives are spinning in a drive bay.
NAS drives are designed to do NAS work, which involves much HDD activity.
The RAID system is well able to handle much heavier traffic loads than a set of IPCs will generate.
I understand your disagreement, but I've implemented this setup many times and I find it works best in my deployed NAS / CCTV setups
1 Volume of WD reds (For normal NAS activity)
1 Volume of WD purples (For CCTV data)

I try and keep the constant writing of IP cameras to the WD Purple drives within the NAS.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,

I did look at Dahua cameras but not so many resellers or offers on UK market. I'm not sure about buying Chinese fakes or not-upgradeable models from Aliexpress though. I'd rather spend a few more £££ and buy UK stock :p
UK better to use free tax way, if use DHl , they will charge some tax, free tax way, little slow, but never have to pay any tax.lol~

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've purchased ££££'s from @EMPIRETECANDY, Never had an issue or any fakes! From order about 5 - 7 days to delivery to the UK. If you find any UK dealers who are as cheap let me know ;) I guess you will be looking at +£100 min compared to @EMPIRETECANDY
Are you saying you can upgrade firmware on these to latest UK one? I've read somewhere (on here I think) that someone bought a cam from aliexpress then did a cam reset and ended up with a Chinese menu etc. If that's not going to be the case with Empiretecandy then I'm quite tempted.

As for NAS drive, I have WD Red but I know that they also do Purple which is specifically made for surveillance with constant Read/Write. Is there any noticeable difference in performance when using either for Surveillance ?

Thanks

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not saying all cameras from Aliexpress are legit and upgradable... but ones from @EMPIRETECANDY sure are. I updated two cameras today and a nvr on Monday without any issues. In fact one I flashed the firmware to ntsc then back to pal just to test something

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds convincing :) As for IPC-HDW5231R-Z, can someone please post some day/night pics please ? Also, any suggestions for 4MP models ? Thanks

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, that sounds convincing :) As for IPC-HDW5231R-Z, can someone please post some day/night pics please ? Also, any suggestions for 4MP models ? Thanks
Fill your boots with info on IPC-HDW5231R = Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

IPC-HDBW5431R-Z 4MP Indoor Doom = Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA Security IP Camera CCTV 4MP WDR IR Dome Network Camera IP67 IK10 With POE Without Logo IPC HDBW5431R Z free DHL shipping from Reliable ip camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

I'm assuming you are after the 4MP for indoor use? As you would get better picture quality with a 2MP camera in low light environments outdoors. Unless you have a large number of floodlights giving ample lighting.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi cyberwolf,

I was actually after 4MP for outdoor as I do have floodlights + the area is quite well lit. I did look at the thread you mentioned and I do like the picture from IPC-HDW5231R-Z even though it's only 2MP (shows that MPs don't really mean that much ;)) I'm now thinking of having 4 outdoor cams, one on eye-level (2.5m up) for better face detection and another higher up with wider FOV.

As for purchasing from Andy, do you guys use DHL? Also, when upgrading firmware, can you download it from an official Dahua UK site etc.?

Thanks

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the IPC-HDW5231R-Z purchased from Andy, and I flashed the official firmware directly from the Dahua website with zero issues. I have had other ali cams with firmware issues, but this forum has been a great help in providing members with good info.

If you are in the UK which you state you are - there is a much cheaper option than to ship that is a little slower. Much cheaper as in don't use DHL in UK.

I can also say those cams really do look very good day and night. Face level mounting is also a good idea. What sent me after these cams was having zombie door checkers walk right in front of my old cams and getting worthless pics. For that the best advice I was given was to test the setup. Motion, someone walking, at night etc. Simulate the typical hoodie wearing zombie and see what you can get.

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are in the UK which you state you are - there is a much cheaper option than to ship that is a little slower. Much cheaper as in don't use DHL in UK.
Thanks suddenstop, so what is the option you are mentioning? DHL is a free shipping option for purchases from Andy

djkprojects

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello again,

I also want to buy brackets for these two cameras but the only free delivery option when buying from Andy is "China Post Registered Air Mail". Anybody had stuff delivered by them? What was the wait time? Thanks guys

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello again,

I also want to buy brackets for these two cameras but the only free delivery option when buying from Andy is "China Post Registered Air Mail". Anybody had stuff delivered by them? What was the wait time? Thanks guys
When you purchase cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY and also purchase brackets in the same order Andy will ship the lot via DHL or UPS in one shipment :wave: