2017 Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), ePoE, NEW!

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sharing much in common with the highly popular "Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)" here is the new 5231 for 2017:

2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - Dahua Technology
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - Dahua Technology

This new model seemingly differs from the IPC-HDW5231R-Z as follows:
-Rectangluar lens (I like the new integrated IR sensor look).
-Wider FOV at the full wide position: 101 vs 97 degrees (slightly wider).
-Longer Lens, more telephoto, more narrow FOV at full zoom (13.5mm vs 12mm)
-ePoE, supports longer than 300 meters of ethernet cabling (the normal limit).

I really like the new look. the extended POE range is not an issue for most of us and the focal length difference is trivial. I'd expect this to perform very well in low-light due to it's large sensor just like the previous generation 5231 model. I Look forward to getting this via Andy @EMPIRETECANDY.

I hope this helps—let's talk about this new model!

Robert

Last edited:

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just taking a look at pricing and availability and noticed that CCTV showed it for $150 while AliExpress had it listed as $950. Since this camera is nearly identical to the previous 5231 turret, I suspect that it will be available for a similar price and that $950 was just a typo.

wholesale IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera ($150)
wholesale IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE review

Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ($950)
Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R ZE ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY ) can you give forum members pricing and availability of this camera?

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@empirecandy said in the other thread that it would be 180$ USD for the moment.

EDIT: Andy wrote the price on AliExpress, in the description of the new model.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I'm confused on ePOE. It go further than 300m...how much further?
And does the extra distance require additional power (poe+) or special nvr or min CAT canle requirement?
Or can it do 》300m all on its own with standard connection?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nbstl68, the normal POE range for Ethernet or power over Ethernet (POE) is 100 meters (I misspoke above). It seems that Dahua's ePOE allows for up to 800 meters at a reduced throughput and it requires the proper ePOE cameras, combined with the proper ePOE NVR OR EPOE switch. Take a look at this article from Dahua:

Dahua Technology Launches ePoE IP System - Dahua Technology

I hope this helps,

Robert

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just taking a look at pricing and availability and noticed that CCTV showed it for $150 ..
iirc CCTV will also add the appropriate shipping charges, thus the price will be closer to what you'll see others sell it for on Aliexpress with shipping.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
It's not available yet, thus andy has no stock. He puts a ridiculous amount as a place holder.
This model i promised @looney2ns to make the testing last month. Just get the sample today, i think can be delivered next Monday. I booked 20pcs total, seems next week can be ready. I will invite some other guys here for the new models. IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E,IPC-HDW5830R-ZE, i am planing on it.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like the next step to solve long run issues...but if you are already set up and need to buy a new NVR or switch to go with the new cameras then it gets pricier fast.
I Googled "ePOE" but found nothing discussing the new standard other than Dahua press releases.
Is this a Dahua proprietary setup, not a universal new standard? aka, you would could only use a Dahua camera, NVR\switch to obtain such distances?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like the next step to solve long run issues...but if you are already set up and need to buy a new NVR or switch to go with the new cameras then it gets pricier fast.
I Googled "ePOE" but found nothing discussing the new standard other than Dahua press releases.
Is this a Dahua proprietary setup, not a universal new standard? aka, you would could only use a Dahua camera, NVR\switch to obtain such distances?

It appears to be Dahua proprietary.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What switches will you be testing with? Will Andy be selling compatible switches?

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ooh man... good thing i haven't pulled the trigger on the 5231 yet. Everyone is sold out of them here in the US. $150 is better deal than i was getting for previous generation 5231. Is CCTV Mall legit?
Will this be in english...?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ooh man... good thing i haven't pulled the trigger on the 5231 yet. Everyone is sold out of them here in the US. $150 is better deal than i was getting for previous generation 5231. Is CCTV Mall legit?
Will this be in english...?
Are you really looking for the new ePOE model? IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

It's a new model and most people do not have it in stock at this point... also CCTV will charge you shipping - and as I have not ordered from them before I would be cautious with trusting that they have it in stock also.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with cctv-mall have been fine. The downside is they have nothing in stock regardless of what they're store shows. So figure 21-25 working days, then if you ship DHL - about 48 hours. Make sure and communicate with them as to your exact needs before ordering (NTSC/PAl, English, lens, etc). They are responsive via email.

Best to go with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and order from him. When he says he has it in stock he does. He's been very good to many forum members.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you really looking for the new ePOE model? IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

It's a new model and most people do not have it in stock at this point... also CCTV will charge you shipping - and as I have not ordered from them before I would be cautious with trusting that they have it in stock also.
yeah ive been looking for any 5231 new or old. I figured might as well go for the 2017 model. i hope ePOE is same voltage no? Im not looking to make any long runs. cctv-mall shipping is like $45 USD for air shipping for two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.. Seems about right for air..

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like the 8MP has a slightly larger sensor at 1/2.5 vs the 5231(2MP) camera's 1/2.8.
That does not seem like much of a difference.
A lot of discussions here about the whole 'higher MP on same size sensor = worse low light performance". So it will definitely be interesting to see if the slight size difference equates to any low light performance or it if even holds up to current performance.

It is pretty difficult to show people on-line the low light quality of any camera without being there in person to see the camera view vs. what you are actually seeing in person.

Here is my attempt for the 5321 2MP.
The first image is from my cell phone at 8:19 CST last night a little past dusk.
It is very blurry as it was visually too dark for the camera to focus on anything but it shows just about the same light level I experienced visually standing there. I could just barely make out the tall bunch of arborvitae in the rocks on the left side of the street with my eyes....can you see them?

What I saw...
20170822_201913.jpg

VS.
What the camera saw (Default camera settings, no IR).
Huge difference. I actually thought the camera image on my phone app had frozen on an earlier frame but it was indeed live.
Screenshot_2017-08-22-20-17-40.png

Once the light dropped off just a little more though, it was not as good without turning on the IR.