2021 Full Color 2.0 Has a Fantastic New Dual Lens Camera

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I see some serious barrel distortion in those pictures on this so called fantastic New dual lens.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Wide lens always has some distortion like fisheye, this one has 2 lens on one cam, from my experience it’s not bad or your called serious. I know you always have high standard for cams we posted, appreciate your time for helping us , thank you ! @ljw2k
I just put on the window to take default pics.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see some serious barrel distortion in those pictures on this so called fantastic New dual lens.
Of course you do LOL.

You sure seem to knock Dahua an awful lot considering what your avatar is....

I wouldn't call it serious by any means. I call it an angle that was posted to get a picture up quickly for us to see and any wide lens looking at tall vertical buildings like that will show a little curve. Big deal.

I do not think many of us would use this camera for that vantage point either. That wasn't the point of the picture.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I see lens distortion which would bother me and is clear to see. Just like catchphrase I say what I see :), nothing to do with my Avatar I have 3x Dahua camera's my last purchase was a new 5 series PTZ last month. I also have Hikvision brand and non have that level of distortion even on a 2.8mm lens.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Wide lens always has some distortion like fisheye, this one has 2 lens on one cam, from my experience it’s not bad or your called serious. I know you always have high standard for cams we posted, appreciate your time for helping us , thank you ! @ljw2k
I just put on the window to take default pics.
Thanks Andy and I know every lens has some distortion but this to me is obvious and maybe because of 2 lens's being used. I do appreciate your pictures and you are always first to post new camera's.
I know it is only a sample and spec might change.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For all we know the distortion could be from the window and angle of the camera.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy said -"I just put on the window to take default pics."

Not sure if this means the camera was just pushed up against the window from inside looking out.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
What you see from a single shot maybe hold in hand ...
for me this could be any camera .. if we have a real test with footage (not single screens) there can be a discussion about the camera.. but from these single shots? lol

its nice to see something ... but maybe just wait for real test :idk:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I do some further test today, the camera with IR light can bring very good full color pics at low light place. I think this is the biggest advantage for this kind of dual lens cams.
IR light , LED light all can be adjusted.

I compare to the IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6MM, looks like 5442 is a little better. The new one firmware maybe need some further working. Everything is at default.

Dual Lens pics.

1630422221204.jpeg

IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm

1630422155429.jpeg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
What you see from a single shot maybe hold in hand ...
for me this could be any camera .. if we have a real test with footage (not single screens) there can be a discussion about the camera.. but from these single shots? lol

its nice to see something ... but maybe just wait for real test :idk:
Yeap, next week we will do the review for this cam, also with a 2.8mm 4K Color4K-X, cams will fly to US tomorrow :headbang:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Test on the 3rd floor 10m/38ft high.
Dual lens 3.6mm 4MP hfw5449T1-ASE-D2

View attachment 99957

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, 2MP Starlight. Camera default come with IR light on, so have to press it to color mode. Will get a 4MP and 4K color4k-X to test here later, haven't take the cams back home.

View attachment 99959

A Overview by the new 4mp dual lens.

View attachment 99960

hfw5449T1-ASE-D2 Daytime pic.
View attachment 100021
Not a huge amount of difference in those night pics. The extra sharpness is definately from the 4mp. What you can see is a little more saturation and I guess that is what this camera is doing, using the IR data for contrast information as low light in colour is often low contrast when the lighting is very low and so probably lacking this information. One thing that stands out with the above, is Andy's street has quite high light levels to start with at night and thus not bad contrast information. I'm guessing there may be a more marked response where the light is very low and a tradional colour cctv cameras has quite a flat low cobtrast / colour picture at night.

For a second I thought this was a full color version of the booby cam LOL.

I cannot wait to see how this works!

I am sure the algorithm and technology can make a still image look great without ambient light, but I would have to think motion will suffer because of it?
It shouldn't if the images are taken at the same speeds a normal. What may happen is the camera gets hot as I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of processing so question what features will be in the cameras ie will they be cut down on features to free up processing space for the images and will they be pwoer hungary.

Dual sensor does sound like a very promising design. I wonder what kind of weird image artifacts it might have. Some materials such as clothing may appear darker or brighter in infrared light than a human would normally perceive it. It will be interesting to see how that affects the final image. Also the lens alignment could be an issue. Unless they use some AI to combine the images, I think the color and infrared images will not line up perfectly at closer distances.
As above, I suspect the IR is being used for contrast information. I'm also not sure they simply project the 2 images together. I rather suspect, rightly or wrongly the ir image isn't added to the colour image but rather it mapped for contrast and then that information is used in the colour image for colour intensity data instead of what the colour sensor records. However, this is guesswork on my behalf and I have no detailed knowledge of how ditigal cameras work.

I did find this that may give some insight as to what's being done. Some image processing is done here though, not simply putting one on top of the other. They are combined in the final result I believe though. The final colour result is the bottom one: