2023 best Blue Iris compatible Door bell (non-POE)

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need a recommendation. Blue Iris 5. Cant use POE. Need to use the current doorbell power supply.
Trying to replace a RCA HSDB1 on WIFI

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reolink doorbell is the popular choice at the moment.

The wifi version will take power from existing doorbell transformer, will work with Blue Iris and Home Assistant, very good local solution if you hate cloud-based products. The Amazon link to wifi version is
Maybe wait to see if it goes on sale on Black Friday.

P.S. Here is a comparison across a number of doorbells

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In South Florida direct sunlight, a dark colored camera is not really an option. I would have preferred the Amcrest, but it only comes in black. I purchased the Lorex version of the same doorbell, but the firmware is neutered. I have it integrated with Homebridge, but have to use the Lorex app for two way audio support. Not a huge deal for me. My primary requirements were RTSP steams and no recurring extortion fee.

I power three of them off the same 16v/30va transformer. Two through my existing mechanical chime. One directly off the transformer. I ran the transformer common wire through an adjustable AC current sense relay connect to my security panel for lighting and independent MMS notification.

Caution: if powering directly off a transformer without an existing chime and no chime kit installed, make sure to skip the existing chime option. Otherwise, it will blow the surface mount fuse when it attempts to to pulse the chime. Don’t ask me how I know.

IMG_1263.jpgIMG_1199.jpg

Lorex recently announced a 4K model (shipping late November). It is portrait aspect ratio for better package monitoring. I might try one when they go on sale.

Last edited:

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reolink doorbell is the popular choice at the moment.

The wifi version will take power from existing doorbell transformer, will work with Blue Iris and Home Assistant, very good local solution if you hate cloud-based products. The Amazon link to wifi version is
Maybe wait to see if it goes on sale on Black Friday.

P.S. Here is a comparison across a number of doorbells
So the RCA doorbell uses the existing door chime. Do you have to use the white door chime that comes with the Reolink? Looks like there is a $25 off coupon right now on the doorbell on Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Michael James Yes, you have to use the chime that comes with the Reolink if you want a chime.

Hopefully, you're not too attached to your existing chime. The new chime can be plugged in somewhere more convenient to hear (within radio range).

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a Reolink Wi-Fi doorbell user with Blue Iris (my install here), be advised that you can have multiple plug-in chimes with it, just not a pre-existing electro-mechanical or electronic chime, as discussed below by @fenderman .

Also, regarding a black doorbell in the heat, below is my post about my Reolink operating in the direct sun, western exposure, operating at 151°F , ambient temp in mid 90's. Hopefully it can do this for several more summers...we'll see!

Last edited: