24 8MP Cameras using Blue Iris (follow up)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman would you please stay out of this, you are much better when you are helping fix problems , not defending an opinion.
No. I will post to correct your misinformation. What you stated is not an opinion its a complete fallacy. You are clueless and spreading FALSE information. Again, go buy an NVR. I You didnt get the answer you wanted from razer. Too bad. I will not allow you to post misinformation without posting the truth.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Its funny how you inject your opinion, Razor response was helpful, and informative, that's what I was looking for and I learned something. I thanked him. No thanks to you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its funny how you inject your opinion, Razor response was helpful, and informative, that's what I was looking for and I learned something. I thanked him. No thanks to you.
I am not looking for thanks. Simply keeping things truthful and accurate. You are under a terrible misconception that other vms or NVR's dont have occasional problems. I can fill an entire page with NVR' issues posted on this forum alone.
https://www.reddit.com/r/videosurveillance/comments/346xdc/help_existing_ip_system_exacqvision_freezing_up/
Exacq is fantastic software. The fact that a single user has an issue is meaningless.
Educate yourself before posting misleading info.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for toning down the bold print, the ink on my monitor is running low.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had posted a thread about attempting to do an install using 24 8MP Cameras using Blue Iris, and said I would come back with a follow up.

I used two 10 Core V3 Xeon Chips, 64GB of RAM, 4 - 4TB drives for storage, an SSD for the OS and Blue Iris. I also used 4 different network cards with 6 cameras per switch to try to balance the network load. My total server cost was near $6,000.

Blue Iris started to choke at around 8 cameras. The video went choppy, as well as the recordings. I wasn't coming close to maxing out the CPU, or RAM. This was attempted using Direct to Disk recording, setting the cameras at 7fps.

I ended up having to use Milestone Xprotect Essentials, but even then I ran into issues using their smart client. If you put more than 6 cameras at their full resolution using smart client they would lag, and be choppy. Recordings were fine though. Overall it worked better than Blue Iris.

My resolution was to open the smart client software 4 times and use a program to split the screen into 4 sections. In the smart client you also need to have the resolution set at the max and the frames per second set at unlimited, having it attempt to lower the settings actually makes live viewing worse.

Xprotect Essentials I was able to use the 15fps on the 8MP cameras as well. It's a much more expensive program. I personally think Blue Iris is much more user friendly and provides better results, it's just not quite designed for that many 8MP cameras.

I believe Xprotect could handle even more cameras using this hardware, but Essentials maxes out at 26 cameras. My CPU usage seems to hover around 55% and am using approx 24GB of RAM. If someone is looking to have a similar setup they may be able to step down to 8 core processors instead of 10 and achieve usable results.

I don't think Blue Iris is quite ready for that many pixels being displayed at one time. I think if we could set the substream to be the main view, and when you clicked on the cameras it switched to the full resolution view it would save on the processing power and allow it to work.

I know this is a Blue Iris forum and not an Xprotect one, however my original intentions were to put this setup on Blue Iris and I don't think many of us get the opportunities to test such expensive hardware without a client paying for it. It would have helped me tremendously to know I needed much more expensive software prior to bidding out the job. Having to pay for Xprotect cut my profit to almost none, but it was a learning experience none the less.
Try using SSDs for the recordings instead of platter drives.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had posted a thread about attempting to do an install using 24 8MP Cameras using Blue Iris, and said I would come back with a follow up.
Hi dobiecomputers, I'm making some comparative testing on cams' resolutions, and I wonder how well is your 8MP.
So, I'm asking you: could you gently post some snapshots from one of your 8MP?
I would need one pic @8MP, one @4MP and one @2MP(1920x1080): so all is needed is 3 snapshots from the same cam, uploaded here or to another img site.
Possibly if it's set with the max CBR Mb/s.
And possibly again with something in the pic different from a plain wall... ;)
I will do the comparison thing, after.
Could you make it?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: