24 port switch, unmanaged for cameras only 300w / who has the best? budget 300.00

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The bottle neck i created with Yuanley 5 port (4POE+1Gigabit uplink ) was enough to steer me away from them, will probably bite the bullet and fire up the Cisco small business 24 port. (12 Gigabit POE ports)
YMMV

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
switching speed and backplane speeds
Some switch manufacturs quote frame rate, but leave out the size of the frames.

The price difference of the switches with gig ports, not just the uplink ports require a much higher backplane speed for not much more money than one with the same number of ports @10/100

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I wanted to experiment to see if I could push 2 NVR's and 1 POE cam back to the house switch......from the garage where devices are located. The total bandwidth of 11 cams seemed to exceed the capability of the device.
1667667464320.png

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Something many may already know, some of the switches priortize the 1st few ports when it come to power. If a switch was on the edge of it's total POE budget, it will deem the 1st few ports more important and cut power to the cameras on say port 15&16.

I think most of us try not to overload our poe budget. :idk:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My Yuanley powered only 1 5231 cam.....the NVR's were not using POE,,,,but i think the NVR on 1 port is too much bitrate for this setup

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I look at all the hardware running in the garage, and think, ya know for all the bullshit.....I could unplug all this crap and just put it thru the Cisco...

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
People get used to seeing these consumer switches with Wall Warts, and Power bricks....
Hey, I was just noting what that listing specifically pointed out, I didn't expect a full rack sized enterprise switch to use a wall wart/power brick.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah some ebayers dont what the hell they are peddling...He's a professional garage saler...Not an off lease bulk type guy.....
The sellers are as important as the item....maybe more.
Probably all the shit that washed up in his yard while he was out looting. :)

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would also argue that a large part of the appeal of something like some of the newer "prosumer" Netgear switches is also the far lower standby power use and zero noise. Most of the big used enterprise switches tend to have very loud fans, as well as "idle" (before plugging any devices in) power draw upwards of 40-50 watts. If you don't mind those two factors, then yes, they are generally much cheaper than new equipment, and will likely be dead stone reliable in a home environment. YMMV, and personal choices....

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW - I also like HP Pro Curve switches ..
I agree, my switch is the smallest HP 2530, (8) 10/100 Ports, (2) Gb uplink ports, internal power supply version, and no fan. It only draws 5.3W at idle. Perfect for my needs at the moment, but if I need something larger, I'd get a newer Netgear GS316EPP.