24hr clinic ip cam monitoring

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you say that? You can run HDMI over a cat 5e cable up to 330 feet without issues.
As alastair points out that is not a standard hdmi cable...in fact the kit i mention a few words later is a hdmi over ethernet kit..also there is no hdmi over ethernet kit that I'm aware of that can do 330 feet even when using active boosters...

woolooloo

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone ever wanders in this thread in the future. I got our security cam system partially deployed (still have some additional less important cameras to deploy), but for now I've got 7 cameras that I want to show on the TV and then another 3 that I record (10 total recording to one NVR).

I did go with the Fire TV using the ipcamviewer software and got rid of it after a couple days. It constantly lost the connection to cameras and I'd come in and check it and only a couple of the cameras would be displayed, the rest would go black and require manual resetting of the software or reconnections to get them back up.

Unfortunately I could not find a way to get Dahua's PSS software installed on the FireTV to see if it would work better. It did not show up in the Amazon App Store (at least not as being compatible with the Fire TV), and I could not find anything to download to try to sideload it.

I ended up buying Blue Iris and tossing it on a laptop (a pretty beefy one with a current Core i7 and 16GB RAM) and it has worked beautifully (note I stream only, I do not record on this since I have the NVR for that). I don't know that it has lost a single connection to a camera that I've noticed. The caveat is I dropped my 3 megapixel cams down to HD because the CPU was starting to run a little high and since it is a laptop I didn't want it overheating. I need to get that laptop back, so I hope to find some time to build a small system to take its place, maybe something like an Intel NUC.

Anyways, I was disappointed with the FireTV solution and wanted to note that in case anyone else considers it in the future.

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately I could not find a way to get Dahua's PSS software installed on the FireTV to see if it would work better. It did not show up in the Amazon App Store (at least not as being compatible with the Fire TV), and I could not find anything to download to try to sideload it.
If you still have the FireTV around and want to try different apps, use AGK Fire.

Basically, you install AGK Fire onto an android device, and then install any app on that same Android device. Tweak a couple of settings on the FireTV, launch the AGK Fire app on the source android device, and push your app to the FireTV. Full instructions are here: http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sideload-apps-onto-an-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick-using-an-android-phone-or-tablet/

I have used it with a FireTV Stick and TinyCam Pro. It doesn't work very well with four 1080p cameras, but can handle sub-streams pretty well. I installed the Hikvision app for my cameras, but I couldn't navigate past the welcome screen. Maybe the Dahua app will work for you.