2nd Amendment thread

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally agree. I would argue that shooting IDPA for any length of time will indeed help you be better prepared for a real life encounter than most other gun games. Is it perfect? no, Ive also taken countless training classes from top LE and ex-Mil instructors in settings from shoot houses to competition to static ranges.
Does it mean I'll win the day? Nope, but it gives me better odds than the next guy.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally agree. I would argue that shooting IDPA for any length of time will indeed help you be better prepared for a real life encounter than most other gun games. Is it perfect? no, Ive also taken countless training classes from top LE and ex-Mil instructors in settings from shoot houses to competition to static ranges.
Does it mean I'll win the day? Nope, but it gives me better odds than the next guy.
To me, shooting IDPA helps loads because it makes you think through situations you normally wouldn't encounter.
This helps away from the shooting range in same vein, running scenarios in your head as you go about everyday life, it can possibly give yourself a leg up.

Reaction score
You cannot train for ALL eventualities. That is the crux of the video message. Some training is preferable to no training. Being able to hit your target without hitting a non-threat is good. Being able to reload is good. Being able to draw and fire that first shot on target is good. Being able to transition targets is good. Being able to hit targets on the move and hit moving targets is good. Finding a place that allows you to practice all of those is very hard to do, but playing IDPA or other shooting games can allow for that practice.

I shot IDPA for years and was a club president, match director, and scenario designer. One of the things that would make me laugh were the guys that would, after the final shot was fired, would slowly move their head left and right 'looking' for other bad guys, but keeping the muzzle pointed exactly at the last shot fired position. Obviously they were trying to stay 'situationally aware', but I found it to be comical since it was a game and if they actually think they are practicing awareness and they perform this action just as they did in the game, they would be out of the fight if there was someone off to the side.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do NOT do business with Liberty Safe

1- they have a back door into your safe , electronic OR manual.
2- they could have easily said no and demanded a court order.
3- They were sold in 2021 to a bunch of Liberal fucks

"Betrayed Customer Base": Backlash Erupts After Gun Safe Company Gives FBI Customer's Passcode

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve owned two with the last being a Lincoln purchased this past Spring and a Franklin back in 2007z
I can tell you there is a difference in build quality. The Lincoln used to be 10ga and is now 11ga, the locking bars used to be 1 1/4” stainless round bars that secured into holes in the body where new ones use flat steel bars that simply extend on the backside of the door frame. Fit and finish is noticeably less refined.

If you’re looking for a safe I’d suggest checking out AmSec

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Liberty safes and their like have always been sub par IMHO.

Their doors suck. When I was looking for a safe I quickly determined that the sheet steel doors wrapped around drywall was not for me. I found a safe builder and contacted him. He built a safe to my specs, layout etc. When it was all said and done it was the about $100 cheaper than the equivalent Liberty. But with a 1/2” plated door, better fire rating, custom pain and a S&G dial lock. The only extra expense over a Liberty was that I had to drive about 5 hours to pick it up vs going to the local big box store to pick up a Liberty.

The only downside was that this one was a few hundred pounds heavier than a Liberty, and it sucked balls to move.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Liberty safes and their like have always been sub par IMHO.

Their doors suck. When I was looking for a safe I quickly determined that the sheet steel doors wrapped around drywall was not for me. I found a safe builder and contacted him. He built a safe to my specs, layout etc. When it was all said and done it was the about $100 cheaper than the equivalent Liberty. But with a 1/2” plated door, better fire rating, custom pain and a S&G dial lock. The only extra expense over a Liberty was that I had to drive about 5 hours to pick it up vs going to the local big box store to pick up a Liberty.

The only downside was that this one was a few hundred pounds heavier than a Liberty, and it sucked balls to move.
I was looking at this one, then saw this...Wonder if this is some requirement on Safe companies...

1694126706442.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve owned two with the last being a Lincoln purchased this past Spring and a Franklin back in 2007z
I can tell you there is a difference in build quality. The Lincoln used to be 10ga and is now 11ga, the locking bars used to be 1 1/4” stainless round bars that secured into holes in the body where new ones use flat steel bars that simply extend on the backside of the door frame. Fit and finish is noticeably less refined.

If you’re looking for a safe I’d suggest checking out AmSec
one of my customers is a safe and bank security guy
he took an AmVault TL-30 in on trade
We made a deal for said vault
I def second the amsec amvault route.
My safe is burglary and fire rated I think it weighs 4500 lbs or some shit

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me, shooting IDPA helps loads because it makes you think through situations you normally wouldn't encounter.
This helps away from the shooting range in same vein, running scenarios in your head as you go about everyday life, it can possibly give yourself a leg up.
I used to shoot 3000 rounds a month doing NRA Action pistol, which is more about accuracy
I shoot some idpa, not as much as id like to due to work
I do have my own range on my land out on the prairie (ive got 35 acres) that i try to play on
Practice is never bad, and IDPA i feel does a great job of simulating a situation.
3 gun is fun, but not anything like a situation would be imo