3 Cams, 1 Cable Modem

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there are some experts here that can help with our questions.

We have 3 outdoor IP cams (one PTZ dome, 2 fixed bullets) that will be on the same cable modem.

• The PTZ will use PoE for power, the 2 bullets will use power cords.
• The PTZ will have its own static IP address. The bullets will have dynamic IP addresses.
• The PTZ is the important cam, and will broadcast a 720p live stream to our website so users can view the surrounding area. The bullets are for in-house security and will only be viewed by staff.

Our questions are:

1. Will having 3 cams on the same modem negatively affect the live stream coming from our PTZ cam?
2. Will having a static IP address for the PTZ cam help reduce potential bandwidth issues created by the 2 bullet cams?

Thank you very much for your help!
Kyle

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there are some experts here that can help with our questions.

We have 3 outdoor IP cams (one PTZ dome, 2 fixed bullets) that will be on the same cable modem.

• The PTZ will use PoE for power, the 2 bullets will use power cords.
• The PTZ will have its own static IP address. The bullets will have dynamic IP addresses.
• The PTZ is the important cam, and will broadcast a 720p live stream to our website so users can view the surrounding area. The bullets are for in-house security and will only be viewed by staff.

Our questions are:

1. Will having 3 cams on the same modem negatively affect the live stream coming from our PTZ cam?
2. Will having a static IP address for the PTZ cam help reduce potential bandwidth issues created by the 2 bullet cams?

Thank you very much for your help!
Kyle
Welcome Kyle,

Q: 1. Will having 3 cams on the same modem negatively affect the live stream coming from our PTZ cam?
A: Depends on the "modem" - normally not an issue. Depends on your upstream bandwidth and bandwidth your cameras produce - normally the ISP services now have plenty of bandwidth available.

Q: 2. Will having a static IP address for the PTZ cam help reduce potential bandwidth issues created by the 2 bullet cams?
A: Static IP address? As in the IP address your ISP is assigning? Or is this an internal IP address you assign? ( 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x )?

You want to take a look at securing your IP cameras, as it sounds like you plan to port forward, which will expose your IP camera to potentially be hijacked and/or compromised. Please see the notes below and look for VPN notes.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.