33 4MP IP Hikvision cameras, extreme CPU usage, any ideas?

By the Book Networking

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm installing a 33 camera IP system in a local retail store, area to cover is approx 800,000sqf. all cameras are set to 10FPS, 20 cameras are set to 1080, all bitrates are at 4thousand something. PC is a i7 overclocked to 4gh/z 8gb ram, 2 network cards, isolated network for cameras. ( attached photo ) i understand that BI is very cpu intensive, but i am unable to use motion detection without the computer running at 100% CPU. all cameras are set to direct-disk, all overlays disabled, continues recording, all frame rates matching. I currently have the computer running about 60-70% with spikes to 90. There will be remote viewing via web app and if no remote desktop client is available there will be remote desktop. I would like to be able to set motion detection on all cameras with multiple users to have access to the client but if i set motion detection on a few cameras i start to bottleneck my CPU, this is a dedicated server just for BI. are there any suggestions for optimization? I dont want to abandon BI for a super expensive NVR

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This computer is custom built with a fresh copy of windows 7 PRO
What is the EXACT processor..i7 is meaningless...
Have you enabled direct to disc AND hardware acceleration for each camera? setting motion detection should not affect cpu...dont use remote viewing software...use the webserver or mobile app..
also note you have not setup your storage correctly...that is why its red.
you need more memory...Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

By the Book Networking

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is an I7 2700K 4 cores 8 multithreads @ 4ghz, I bumped to 16gb ram. and the built in GPU is defective so i don't seem to have hardware acceleration. system is running reliably, may just have to accept the large CPU load. with the storage I'm running 2 4tb WD purple drives, I would like to have old footage be deleted as disks become full, is there a setting for loopback recording?
i usually install branded NVR's like Hikvision, but this client had certain needs requiring a PC based solution.
I really appreciate your help!
I am also very impressed with the software!
Worst case i may need to bite the bullet and upgrade hardware to the new Ryzen chipset seeing as they are better for heavy rendering tasks.

Reaction score
That processor is extremely old and under powered for the task you are using it for. I don't think Hardware acceleration on the 2nd generation of Intel Processors will work with anything higher than a 2mp camera.

That processor needs to be upgraded to a 6th or 7th generation i7 and you need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. BI no longer fully supports Windows 7 (Hardware acceleration won't work while running BI as a service etc).

Don't buy Ryzen for BI. BI is designed to work with Intel processors to utilize hardware acceleration.

If you can hold off I would wait until the 8th generation Intel processor gets released. The new i7 is supposed to have 6 cores and 12 threads. I think the release date is around October 5th.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running 2 4tb WD purple drives
Get new i7 CPU, that supports hardware acceleration. Also get a 256GB SSD Hard drive. Preferable a M3 SSD drive (motherboard needs to support it). Initial clips go on the SSD before being moved off to the 4TB drives.
Blue iris doesn't need ram. I have 32GB of ram, although blueiris only consumes 4GB.
Upgrade to windows 10 as well. Runs much better than Windows 7/8.

So new Motherboard, new CPU, new RAM, new SSD hard drive, upgrade OS and you should be good to go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Get new i7 CPU, that supports hardware acceleration. Also get a 256GB SSD Hard drive. Preferable a M3 SSD drive (motherboard needs to support it). Initial clips go on the SSD before being moved off to the 4TB drives.
Blue iris doesn't need ram. I have 32GB of ram, although blueiris only consumes 4GB.

So new Motherboard, new CPU, new RAM, new SSD hard drive, upgrade OS and you should be good to go.
It does need memory...more than it says it consumes...see sticky discussing it.

Reaction score

Why an M3 SSD? A standard SSD such as the Samsung 850 Evo, Pro or Crucial MX300 would be just fine.

Initial clips should not go on the SSD before being moved over to the 4TB drives. BI should record directly to the 4TB drives, however, the BI database should be stored on the SSD.

Having BI record to the SSD will reduce the life of the SSD.

komokoro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm installing a 33 camera IP system in a local retail store, area to cover is approx 800,000sqf. all cameras are set to 10FPS, 20 cameras are set to 1080, all bitrates are at 4thousand something. PC is a i7 overclocked to 4gh/z 8gb ram, 2 network cards, isolated network for cameras. ( attached photo ) i understand that BI is very cpu intensive, but i am unable to use motion detection without the computer running at 100% CPU. all cameras are set to direct-disk, all overlays disabled, continues recording, all frame rates matching. I currently have the computer running about 60-70% with spikes to 90. There will be remote viewing via web app and if no remote desktop client is available there will be remote desktop. I would like to be able to set motion detection on all cameras with multiple users to have access to the client but if i set motion detection on a few cameras i start to bottleneck my CPU, this is a dedicated server just for BI. are there any suggestions for optimization? I dont want to abandon BI for a super expensive NVR

I have exactly the same config as your. I am running 30 pcs 1080P Amcrest @ 12 FPS/2048 VRB 4 with motion detection on 20 cameras, I've tuned the motion for less CPU usage. And my system is always 90-100%. My system is 16GB RAM with Core i5 6500K @ 3.6GHZ, sadly the motherboard I bought wont overclock the CPU. However I'm using the newer INTEL HD 530 for quicksync.

Problem is we have plans on adding 15 more units. And I don't know any CPU on the market that has 8-10 cores with QuickSync. Hopefully GPU acceleration will be supported in the future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have exactly the same config as your. I am running 30 pcs 1080P Amcrest @ 12 FPS/2048 VRB 4 with motion detection on 20 cameras, I've tuned the motion for less CPU usage. And my system is always 90-100%. My system is 16GB RAM with Core i5 6500K @ 3.6GHZ, sadly the motherboard I bought wont overclock the CPU. However I'm using the newer INTEL HD 530 for quicksync.

Problem is we have plans on adding 15 more units. And I don't know any CPU on the market that has 8-10 cores with QuickSync. Hopefully GPU acceleration will be supported in the future.
You should be running a modern i7...not a 5...wait for 8th gen six core

By the Book Networking

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Thank you very much for your help, system is running very well, with now 16gb RAM and other settings adjusted, all 33 cameras are recording with motion detection and with the web server functioning stable for the 11 users located offsite.

the company recently requested I give a quote for their head office / distrobution warehouse and they are happy to use blue iris again. only catch is there will be approx 62 cameras at 4mp. I had a discussion with there IT team and they would be fine with 2 servers to split the load and use webserver to view locally. there would be 3 Bi servers total for all locations 1 remote, 2 local

The hardware proposed that the company already has is I7 7700k, 16 gb DDR 4ram, 2 nic, 16TB per server approx 30 cameras per server set too 4mp 5-10 FPS .
the IT team prefers windows based servers for maintenance and security. we are unable to use branded NVR solutions due too some different manufactures being incorporated into the system and to ensure total network isolation.

The company's head office is also a warehouse over 850,000 sq' which is why such an aggressive resolution is required.
Do you have any recommendations? if bi is not the best solution are there any reasonable vms out there? I looked into milestone which looked very promising until i got the $175 USD per camera license, that at ~95 cameras YIKES!!!

would it be worth trying all cameras on 1 server? or is bi not intended to handle that much load.

also is there a plan to incorporate a desktop client for remote/local viewing?

Thank you everyone for all your feedback and assistance earlier!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Thank you very much for your help, system is running very well, with now 16gb RAM and other settings adjusted, all 33 cameras are recording with motion detection and with the web server functioning stable for the 11 users located offsite.

the company recently requested I give a quote for their head office / distrobution warehouse and they are happy to use blue iris again. only catch is there will be approx 62 cameras at 4mp. I had a discussion with there IT team and they would be fine with 2 servers to split the load and use webserver to view locally. there would be 3 Bi servers total for all locations 1 remote, 2 local

The hardware proposed that the company already has is I7 7700k, 16 gb DDR 4ram, 2 nic, 16TB per server approx 30 cameras per server set too 4mp 5-10 FPS .
the IT team prefers windows based servers for maintenance and security. we are unable to use branded NVR solutions due too some different manufactures being incorporated into the system and to ensure total network isolation.

The company's head office is also a warehouse over 850,000 sq' which is why such an aggressive resolution is required.
Do you have any recommendations? if bi is not the best solution are there any reasonable vms out there? I looked into milestone which looked very promising until i got the $175 USD per camera license, that at ~95 cameras YIKES!!!

would it be worth trying all cameras on 1 server? or is bi not intended to handle that much load.

also is there a plan to incorporate a desktop client for remote/local viewing?

Thank you everyone for all your feedback and assistance earlier!
I dont think it will handle the load and BI is not designed for an environment like this...an alternative vms is Network optix, sold in north america under the digital watchdog brand and soon by Hanwha under the "wave" name...The nice thing about this offering is that it includes lifetime upgrades to the latest release..this will save thousands in the long run. Each license is 70 dollars...im sure you can knock that down if you order a bunch...