4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Restarting BI fixed the increase in CPU for me. I saw a nice drop in CPU usage with hardware acceleration, however 4.2.8.2 bumped it back up a bit.....anyone have 4.2.8.1 to share?
FYI, I have 4 4MP Hikvision cameras with H.264+ enabled (to dramatically reduce bitrate)...hardware acceleration worked with this setting enabled, however there was a thick band of color swapping on all four cameras. Changing the setting for each of those cameras back to H.264 fixed this.

On the options/other page, what is the purpose of dividing the cpu calculation by two?
One of cams is doing this but it is on the bottom and a larger area, stops when I turn off encoding any ideas?

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe that was my post. That issue only exists with Windows 7 and the developer is currently working on the issue. If you're using Windows 8 or 10, running it as a service with hardware acceleration shouldn't be an issue. I'm not aware of any problems with Hikvision cameras dropping out with BI as a service. I've been running Hikvision cameras and BI as a service for a while without any issues.
I am running windows 7 and have this issue when running bi as a service, did you find a fix? I stopped it as a service and the acceleration works but would like to be able to run it as a service,.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of cams is doing this but it is on the bottom and a larger area, stops when I turn off encoding any ideas?
What encoding are you referring to? The color swapping occurs when I try to use H.264+, an option within the hikvision camera settings. It improves bitrate significantly, but I don't think it's supported by Blue Iris yet. I emailed support right after Ken introduced hardware acceleration, but I don't think he's yet had a chance to support the variations of the H.264 coding standard (H.264+, H.265).

Attachments

Last edited:

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What encoding are you referring to? The color swapping occurs when I try to use H.264+, an option within the hikvision camera settings. It improves bitrate significantly, but I don't think it's supported by Blue Iris yet. I emailed support right after Ken introduced hardware acceleration, but I don't think he's yet had a chance to support the variations of the H.264 coding standard (H.264+, H.265).
where you go in to each camera and configure video it has three options default, yes or no as I recall

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
where you go in to each camera and configure video it has three options default, yes or no as I recall
Yes, that's for hardware acceleration (HA)....you can turn off HA for each camera this way, but you forfeit the cpu savings without HA. Until BI supports H.264 plus, H.265, etc., with HA, you have to decide if you want the bitrate savings for a specific camera or the cpu savings that comes with HA. For me, I turned off H.264 plus for my affected cameras so that I could use HA....my bitrate is higher, but my cpu usage is much better off.

Reaction score
I am running windows 7 and have this issue when running bi as a service, did you find a fix? I stopped it as a service and the acceleration works but would like to be able to run it as a service,.
No, the developer is aware of the issue and will fix it. I took my free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro so I could utilize HA with BI running as a service.

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
He's moved on to motion detection before fixing the issues with Hardware Acceleration on Windows 7 64 bit. It's quite sad. Plus there is no software repository to downgrade to a functional version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
He's moved on to motion detection before fixing the issues with Hardware Acceleration on Windows 7 64 bit. It's quite sad. Plus there is no software repository to downgrade to a functional version.
While having a repository would be nice, you can easily create your own. This has been discussed over and over. Simply download the update files as you go along. You can easily revert back. Lots of users here post older versions if you have done so in the past.
The hardware acceleration issue affects only a small number of users and can easily be resolved by upgrading to 10 or disabling the service, so it silly for him to stop updating software until he figures out the problem. Its obviously not an easy fix. The glass is half full not half empty.

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
I am not payed to create a repository. This software isn't free. If it was free then I would have no right to complain about it. The fact of the matter is that it is not free. I payed for it. It was advertised as having hardware acceleration coming when I purchased it. Telling me to use a different operating system because of faulty updates is rediculous. If it does indeed end up needing a different operating system then I would expect it to be payed for by Blue Iris, not me.

The fact of the matter is that that while "run as service" had problems when HA was enabled, run as service could be enchecked & the console window left running minimized. Hardware acceleration at least functioned that way with V4.2. With V4.3 I now get HA errors all the time. It has gone downhill with 4.3.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not payed to create a repository. This software isn't free. If it was free then I would have no right to complain about it. The fact of the matter is that it is not free. I payed for it. It was advertised as having hardware acceleration coming when I purchased it. Telling me to use a different operating system because of faulty updates is rediculous. If it does indeed end up needing a different operating system then I would expect it to be payed for by Blue Iris, not me.

The fact of the matter is that that while "run as service" had problems when HA was enabled, run as service could be enchecked & the console window left running minimized. Hardware acceleration at least functioned that way with V4.2. With V4.3 I now get HA errors all the time. It has gone downhill with 4.3.
Your right you are not paid to do it, so suffer with the consequences of being lazy. You are not paid to backup your photos but will you demand that WD reimburse you if the drive fails? Be real. Otherwise I can direct you to other options. See milestone, exacq. They will gladly support you, at 100 dollars PER CAMERA.
It amazes me how folks bitch and moan because they cannot wait for a fix. You expect the world because you paid 60 dollars. Damn.
Hardware acceleration was NEVER advertised. Please dont lie.
Even if the developer told you it was coming he cold have held it back for another year if he wanted to. So basically your augment is, why should everyone else get the benefit of hardware acceleration or motion sensing if I cant? How dumb is that.
Pay for your os? are you stupid? windows 10 is FREE for 7/8 users. I certainly hope you are not using vista or xp on a modern system that supports hardware acceleration.
Do you expect blue iris to PAY for your new pc if it doesnt support quicksync? Send him the bill, he will tell you where to shove it! Stop acting like an entitled moron.
No one is paying you for anything and if you dont like blue iris move on to something else. Otherwise, appreciate this very low priced fantastic software.
The worst part of your initial comment is the fact that you failed to use basic logic. Do you think he would not fix the issue if it was an easy fix? Maybe he is waiting for someone at intel? who knows? Did you ask? The developer generally addresses issues immediately so dont you think he would have this fixed if he could?
Also next time dont simply update because a release is available. That will solve 99 percent of your problems.
But since blue iris does not seem to meet your needs, let us know when you switch over to something better...

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who says that people in my situation haven't waited for a fix? We've been waiting for the fix as new versions have rolled out with enhancements in other areas instead of concentrating on the problems with hardware acceleration. It's been almost 2 months.
"So basically your augment is, why should everyone else get the benefit of hardware acceleration or motion sensing if I cant? How dumb is that."
No. My argument is that Blue Iris doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit when it was advertised that it did. And at this time it still doesn't work properly. I expect what I pay for in a timely manner, nothing more.
"
Pay for your os? are you stupid? windows 10 is FREE for 7/8 users"
This is irrelevant. Your previous solution was that I change to a different OS. I will gladly do that if that's what it takes to make the software work, but not at my expense.
As far as my system goes, it's a dedicated system with an i5 3570K (never overclocked), 8GB of ram with an ssd for the OS & another ssd for the record to drive followed by another 3TB drive for offloading conversions. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Blue Iris, & drivers installed, nothing else. I don't know why you are bringing up Windows XP or Vista.

People buy this because it is a great value. (I also like supporting the little guy) People buy & use this program in serious situations regarding security. Maybe keeping an eye on their home. Maybe keeping an eye on an elderly parent that refuses to go to a nursing home when they need to. The situations very. To have it not function properly & crash causes serious concerns. I understand that things take time to fix, but to have it go backwards & actually start hard crashing during conversions, automated conversions & offloads is unacceptable.

I do find it sad that when I bring up a legitimate concern, a mod resorts to telling me to go get a different OS & name calling. I was under the impression that this was a civilized board.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who says that people in my situation haven't waited for a fix? We've been waiting for the fix as new versions have rolled out with enhancements in other areas instead of concentrating on the problems with hardware acceleration. It's been almost 2 months.
"So basically your augment is, why should everyone else get the benefit of hardware acceleration or motion sensing if I cant? How dumb is that."
No. My argument is that Blue Iris doesn't work on Windows 7 64-bit when it was advertised that it did. And at this time it still doesn't work properly. I expect what I pay for in a timely manner, nothing more.
"
Pay for your os? are you stupid? windows 10 is FREE for 7/8 users"
This is irrelevant. Your previous solution was that I change to a different OS. I will gladly do that if that's what it takes to make the software work, but not at my expense.
As far as my system goes, it's a dedicated system with an i5 3570K (never overclocked), 8GB of ram with an ssd for the OS & another ssd for the record to drive followed by another 3TB drive for offloading conversions. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Blue Iris, & drivers installed, nothing else. I don't know why you are bringing up Windows XP or Vista.

People buy this because it is a great value. (I also like supporting the little guy) People buy & use this program in serious situations regarding security. Maybe keeping an eye on their home. Maybe keeping an eye on an elderly parent that refuses to go to a nursing home when they need to. The situations very. To have it not function properly & crash causes serious concerns. I understand that things take time to fix, but to have it go backwards & actually start hard crashing during conversions, automated conversions & offloads is unacceptable.

I do find it sad that when I bring up a legitimate concern, a mod resorts to telling me to go get a different OS & name calling. I was under the impression that this was a civilized board.
Again, you are making the ASSUMPTION that the new releases take away from resolving the other issue, how do you know that? He might be waiting on intel.
Blue iris works on win7 64 bit. The issue only affects a specific senario. By your own admission when YOU purchased blue iris, hardware acceleration was not even available.
WHAT PART OF A FREE UPGRADE TO 10 DOES YOU UNDERSTAND. I BROUGHT UP VISTA AND XP BECAUSE YOU MADE AN IDIOTIC DEMAND THAT BI PAY FOR AN UPGRADE TO 10 WHEN EVERYONE KNOWS ITS FREE FOR 7/8 USERS. So I thought maybe you have xp or vista?
IF you didnt know that windows 10 is free then im sorry buy you are a complete idiot.
If BI is important to your security the WAIT before jumping on every upgrade. Be smart. Simply roll back and wait. You dont need hardware acceleration to keep an eye on your elderly parent stop with this nonsense. You didnt have hardware acceleration when you bought it, you can live without it. You dont NEED to run blue iris as a service. Or upgrade to 10. So many solutions. But yeah, you are not paid to fix problems. So you will wait, until its resolved.
This is a very civilized board but when you post STUPID sarcastic remarks demanding this or that, you will be called out on it. Sit the fuck down and relax. Buy another product and see how fast they respond to individual issues. BI has by FAR the fasted response to bug fixes. If you think the other EXPENSIVE products dont have bugs then go check out their boards/forums. See how long it takes for something to get resolved. You are not talking about a critical feature here. Its icing on the cake that was added after the fact.
So I will call your BLUFF like I have many others. You dont like blue iris because you have higher expectations. Send me a receipt for a competing product and I will buy your blue iris license from you.

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
The newer releases since 4.2.8 do take away. There are now crashes. (with the exception of the very latest update from this morning. time will tell, still get HA errors though) Crashes did not happen with 4.2.8.

Concerning the Windows 10 free upgrade. Maybe I've already used it on another machine. Maybe I'm planning to use it on another machine. Then in order to use Windows 10 on my Blue Iris server it would need to be purchased. So that would be at my expense, not free. Maybe I don't want it on a security server. I don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept of these simple scenarios. Also, why anyone would put an OS that tracks use on a security server is beyond me. No thanks.

FACT:
The software isn't fully functional. It hasn't been for almost 2 months.

That's the problem. You can try to spin it anyway that you like, but that's the fact of the situation.

Irony: claiming to be civilized & calling names in the very same sentence.

(maybe you should give up being an administrator, you don't seem to have the right temperament for the job)

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the developer is aware of the issue and will fix it. I took my free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro so I could utilize HA with BI running as a service.
How has it been working with Windows 10? Did you just upgrade or do a clean install? I am getting the message for a free upgrade but have not yet, any issues? I do have my system on a UPS which I think would help but let me know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The newer releases since 4.2.8 do take away. There are now crashes. (with the exception of the very latest update from this morning. time will tell, still get HA errors though) Crashes did not happen with 4.2.8.

Concerning the Windows 10 free upgrade. Maybe I've already used it on another machine. Maybe I'm planning to use it on another machine. Then in order to use Windows 10 on my Blue Iris server it would need to be purchased. So that would be at my expense, not free. Maybe I don't want it on a security server. I don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept of these simple scenarios. Also, why anyone would put an OS that tracks use on a security server is beyond me. No thanks.

FACT:
The software isn't fully functional. It hasn't been for almost 2 months.

That's the problem. You can try to spin it anyway that you like, but that's the fact of the situation.

Irony: claiming to be civilized & calling names in the very same sentence.

(maybe you should give up being an administrator, you don't seem to have the right temperament for the job)
You cannot use your windows 10 upgrade license on another machine. Its an upgrade and invalidates your 7 license. Sorry that i did not assume that your would commit software piracy. Windows 10 tracks no more than windows 7. You can disable every "tracking" option.

The software is fully functional as the day you purchased it. You are complaining about a value added feature that was FREE. Dont be stupid and apply every update. Wait until its confirmed stable. I have a few systems running 4.2.9.3 fully stable with no issues.
IF you come here bitching and moaning making idiotic demands you will be responded to in kind. Dont be lazy and download your updates from the website. Problem solved.
I further dont need your advice on how to administer this site. I simply have no tolerance stupid posts with insane demands. Dont like it? dont let the door hit you on the way out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How has it been working with Windows 10? Did you just upgrade or do a clean install? I am getting the message for a free upgrade but have not yet, any issues? I do have my system on a UPS which I think would help but let me know.
the newest iso available using the windows media creation tool allows doing a clean install using the windows 7 key or windows 8 bios key. If you dont have the key, you can do an in place upgrade, then wait for activation to complete (confirm it), then do a clean install - windows will no longer as you for the key.

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the newest iso available using the windows media creation tool allows doing a clean install using the windows 7 key or windows 8 bios key. If you dont have the key, you can do an in place upgrade, then wait for activation to complete (confirm it), then do a clean install - windows will no longer as you for the key.
Thanks fenderman, is there an issue with just upgrading?

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
... Hardware acceleration at least functioned that way with V4.2. With V4.3 I now get HA errors all the time. It has gone downhill with 4.3.
Here is the solution. Go back to 4.2 and problem fixed!

You are welcome. :loyal:

Reaction score
I feel the computer itself runs better on Windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7, but when the upgrade was complete, I used the "reset this PC" option to do a clean install. At that time, I was unaware I could just use my Windows 7 Product Key to activate my installation of Windows 10, otherwise I would've just done a clean installation from the beginning.

Which version of Windows 7 are you running? Pro or a home edition?

Make sure you prevent Windows 10 from doing automatic updates, there are a couple of ways to do this.

You can prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates by disabling the Windows update service. Open the task manager, click "services", than, "open services" at the bottom, right click on "windows updates" and click "properties". Go to "startup type" and on the drop down menu select "disabled" and click apply. Windows 10 can no longer check for windows updates and therefore will not automatically install windows updates. I believe this works on both Windows 10 home and Pro.

If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can change the group policy by opening "gpedit.msc", under "Computer Configuration" go to "Administrative Templates" than "Windows Components". Scroll down to "windows updates" and double click on "Configure Automatic Updates". Enable it and select option 2 "Notify for download and notify for install"

Selecting this option will only allow windows to notify you that a new update is available. You will have to manually install the update. This feature only works in Windows 10 Pro.