4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's working. @fenderman, I'm pretty happy I took your advice and stuck with the on board 4600. I've dropped below 20% on an E3-1225v3.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Bill.
Cool, what was it before?

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just repeated the process of swapping to the onboard graphics. This time I thought I'd hit the jackpot. CPU usage went down to low 50% range when I activated Hardware accel and restarted. Then I discovered that all of my motion masks and setting had dissapeared. So I imported my latest settings (which I backup every time I make a change), and all of the masks, settings etc were restored just fine. But, CPU usage went back up to the 90s (low 90s with hardware accell on, 100% with it off).

I'm just wondering if any of you are seeing these improvements in CPU usage at the expense of having lost any settings you had previously?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest anyone having trouble hunt down the latest intel integrated graphics driver for their generation of CPU, and install it. Get it from Intel's website, not from Windows Update.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a complete game changer, and the release notes indicates that there is more to be be leveraged.
I don't think he is accelerating "encoding" yet looking at UI2 and BB's Java app... It will take a bit to iron out the bugs... Just imagine how many cameras you could run with a GTX 980ti offloading the encoding and decoding to 2,816 cuda cores and parallel processing... I know, nVidia support isn't here yet.

This is a game changer... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does this only work if your using your intel gpu as your primary gpu?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
too bad. need to keep the nvidia card in, how else do i play wolfenstien??? :p

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
too bad. need to keep the nvidia card in, how else do i play wolfenstien??? :p
Same here. Can't play my Far Cry 4 without a fairly high-end graphics card. Using Nvidia here too. Wow, is Wolfenstein still around? I remember playing it back in the 90's. I think it was DOS based back then. :peaceful:

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here. Can't play my Far Cry 4 without a fairly high-end graphics card. Using Nvidia here too. Wow, is Wolfenstein still around? I remember playing it back in the 90's. I think it was DOS based back then. :peaceful:
There was a new one last year, steam had it on sale over Christmas for $10 so I gave it a go, and it's actually really good.

I don't think you can run a nvidia card and Intel gpu at the same time. There was an option to run two gpus like that on an older chipset, namely as a power saving measure, but never took off.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suggest anyone having trouble hunt down the latest intel integrated graphics driver for their generation of CPU, and install it. Get it from Intel's website, not from Windows Update.
Good idea. On my HP Elitedesk 800, I tried to download the latest driver from Intel. It gave an error saying I had an OEM driver. I had to uninstall the driver and check the box to delete the driver files. Then I installed the new driver from Intel. Then Windows Update found a bunch more graphics and HD audio drivers. My CPU usage is still the same though :/

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just installed the update.

Running 9 cameras with a total of 19 megapixels. All are direct to disk.

CPU usage went from about 19-20% steady state (viewing while no triggers / alerts) to about 15-17% steady state. Not a huge change.

BUT.. During timeline playback of all cameras, CPU usage only goes up to ~21-23% vs about 28-30% prior to the update.

With BI in the background, CPU is <10%.

Machine is i7-4790 @ 4 GHZ on an ASUS Z97 motherboard. 32 GB ram.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think you can run a nvidia card and Intel gpu at the same time. There was an option to run two gpus like that on an older chipset, namely as a power saving measure, but never took off.
I downloaded the 4.2.8 update but haven't installed it. Will probably wait for a release that includes Nvidia support. My CPU usage runs between 55% & 60% when BI is opened full screen. Reduced to the taskbar, it runs between 23% & 28%, so not in a real hurry to update just yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember your negative response to me when I mentioned Intel was a better path than NVidia for Hardware Acceleration
That is a completely false statement. I have always been a proponent of Intel integrated graphics due to power consumption, heat, failure rate and the fact that most machines have it. You must have me confused with someone else.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
  1. Re: Version 4.1.9
  2. Its too bad something from Microsoft or intel could have been used, sure I'm guessing, but this decision on improvements based on NVIDIA, which is a great company, may cause many headaches or wasted time which I think is limited.​

3. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

10-12-2015 #21
fenderman

1. Administrator

Join DateMar 2014Posts9,290Thanks843Thanked 1,475 Times in 1,292 Posts Mentioned263 Post(s)
[h=2]Re: Version 4.1.9[/h]

Originally Posted by MartyO
Its too bad something from Microsoft or intel could have been used, sure I'm guessing, but this decision on improvements based on NVIDIA, which is a great company, may cause many headaches or wasted time which I think is limited.

He is not stupid, there are specific reasons why he chose nvidia. Lets wait and see.​

Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

1. 10-12-2015 #22

1. MartyO

1. View Profile

1. Senior Member

Join DateJun 2015Posts549Thanks35Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts Mentioned13 Post(s)

Originally Posted by fenderman
He is not stupid, there are specific reasons why he chose nvidia. Lets wait and see.

None of us are stupid, but we can make stupid decisions.​

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Thanks

1. 10-12-2015 #23

1. fenderman

1. View Profile

1. Administrator

Join DateMar 2014Posts9,290Thanks843Thanked 1,475 Times in 1,292 Posts Mentioned263 Post(s)

Originally Posted by MartyO
None of us are stupid, but we can make stupid decisions.

I will go with the developer who knows his software and the options/code available to him from manufacturers, over someone who has not seen the final product questioning the logic. He knows what he is doing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@MartyO I guess you have an issue with reading comprehension. I never said using nvidia was better choice hardware wise. I said that the developer knows what hes doing. There are lots of considerations involved. My point was that he doesnt need advice from an novice who has no clue about vms software coding and picked up his first ip cam last year. Ultimately he will likely implement both (bases on an email he sent me). I pointed out that you should wait to see the final product before running your mouth. I was right, the final product is awesome, youll see next year when you update.