4.4.8.0 breaks email sending to gmail

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed today that all emails sent to my gmail address have bounced since the last update on Nov 12. The error from gmail is that there is no "from" header. I have the same settings I've always had (sending from my own ISP) but I even tried sending from my gmail account. The test message goes out fine but alerts never get sent.

Anyone else?

P.S. The from field in the email setup is my email address: always has been. So it's filled in.

Thanks,
Mike

csiemers

n3wb
Reaction score
E-mails to my outlook.com account were broke. I went back to 4.4.7 and e-mail is flowing again.

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
E-mails to my outlook.com account were broke. I went back to 4.4.7 and e-mail is flowing again.
Is there a repository or temp location on my local drive where it stores old versions? I'd like to install 4.4.7 as well because that one worked.

Thanks,
Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a repository or temp location on my local drive where it stores old versions? I'd like to install 4.4.7 as well because that one worked.

Thanks,
Mike
Its best to always manually download updates so you have them. BP2008 posted an earlier version in the whats new section..

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had to give up on this for now. I downloaded 4.4.5.3 and tried that and I'm still unable to send email. Things I've tried:

- Rebooted
- Disabled AV
- Created a new gmail account
- Confirmed unsecured apps are on in gmail settings
- 2 step verification is off in gmail
- Tried both sending from my ISP and from my gmail account
- Sending from ISP results in bounce from gmail received address: error says no from address in header
- Looked at installed updates: no Windows updates before or since problem started and nothing new installed
- Looked at event viewer and confirmed that the problem started the instant I installed 4.4.8
- "Test" button on email server setup successfully sends an email but...
- Each time an alert occurs, I get "email: check email server settings" in the log
- Tried sending email from my Pegasus mail with MP4 from camera attached: no problem

Don't know what else to try.

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had to give up on this for now. I downloaded 4.4.5.3 and tried that and I'm still unable to send email. Things I've tried:

- Rebooted
- Disabled AV
- Created a new gmail account
- Confirmed unsecured apps are on in gmail settings
- 2 step verification is off in gmail
- Tried both sending from my ISP and from my gmail account
- Sending from ISP results in bounce from gmail received address: error says no from address in header
- Looked at installed updates: no Windows updates before or since problem started and nothing new installed
- Looked at event viewer and confirmed that the problem started the instant I installed 4.4.8
- "Test" button on email server setup successfully sends an email but...
- Each time an alert occurs, I get "email: check email server settings" in the log
- Tried sending email from my Pegasus mail with MP4 from camera attached: no problem

Don't know what else to try.

Mike
export your settings an reinstall. its a two minuet job..

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
export your settings an reinstall. its a two minuet job..
OK. Did that. No change. I wish I had exported settings prior to the 4.4.8 update because if the problem is in the settings and I recall them, it could bring the problem back. I think the fact that the test message goes out but the alerts do not is some sort of clue. Maybe the message (or its headers) are not correct with the MP4 clip attached. But it worked in the version prior to 4.4.8.

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to get an alert sent to my own ISP instead of gmail (my ISP doesn't block incoming messages) and I found this in the header:

​In-Reply-To: East_2

Since the "From" and "To" fields appear after that in the header, I wonder if the garbage characters before the "In-Reply-To" field are causing Gmail to not see the "From" field. Pegasus can't even decode the header and places the header in the body, presumably because of the garbage characters.

Mike

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found this thread regarding the same problem: 4.4.8 - November 12, 2016

I went back to the 4.4.7.4 posted there and the garbage In-Reply-To header is gone and now it's working again. Looks like a bug of the bad-pointer flavor in the 4.4.8 and 4.4.8.1 versions.

Mike

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
Has same issue with 4.4.8.2, 4.4.8.3 fixed fixed the problem and alerts started working again. Blue Iris 4.4.8.5 they are broken again, wish I could manually download 4.4.8.3 again.

dotnetrob

n3wb
Reaction score
4.4.8.6 fixes the gmail alert email bug again. Turning off auto updates... :mad: