4.8.5 - BIG NEWS No movement trigger and New AI integration/update

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.8.5 - February 7, 2019

• Instead of triggering a camera when there is motion, you may now trigger the camera when there is a LACK of motion. This is suitable for monitoring employees, customers, kids, or the elderly for example. This is enabled with a setting on the Trigger/Motion page. Set the "make time" higher to represent the time without motion before a trigger will occur.

• We are working to integrate with suppliers of AI technology for person and license plate recognition, as well as build-in some of our own. The first to appear will be https://www.smarthomesentry.com later this month.

• There are many other large updates in the works for release this year, please excuse the current slowdown in new feature releases in the interim.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4.8.5 - February 7, 2019

• Instead of triggering a camera when there is motion, you may now trigger the camera when there is a LACK of motion. This is suitable for monitoring employees, customers, kids, or the elderly for example. This is enabled with a setting on the Trigger/Motion page. Set the "make time" higher to represent the time without motion before a trigger will occur.

• We are working to integrate with suppliers of AI technology for person and license plate recognition, as well as build-in some of our own. The first to appear will be https://www.smarthomesentry.com later this month.

• There are many other large updates in the works for release this year, please excuse the current slowdown in new feature releases in the interim.
This is awesome news! Definitely looking forward to testing this out. I’ve been looking for a AI solution to tie into Blue Iris for a long time. I’ve been supplementing this with Sighthound Video, but still get a fair amount of false alerts and missed motion events.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is awesome news! Definitely looking forward to testing this out. I’ve been looking for a AI solution to tie into Blue Iris for a long time. I’ve been supplementing this with Sighthound Video, but still get a fair amount of false alerts and missed motion events.
sighthound is also revamping its software and AI.
Sighthound Video VMS 6.0 Coming Soon

You make a good point about the current sighthound offering. While it works, its not even close to 100 percent and more importantly the false negatives are hard to count.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
sighthound is also revamping its software and AI.
Sighthound Video VMS 6.0 Coming Soon

You make a good point about the current sighthound offering. While it works, its not even close to 100 percent and more importantly the false negatives are hard to count.
I’m on the beta list for Sighthound 6.0 as well :)

I see that you mention that smart home sentry will be integrated into BI this month. Is there an ETA for what timing this month we can expect to see this integration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m on the beta list for Sighthound 6.0 as well :)

I see that you mention that smart home sentry will be integrated into BI this month. Is there an ETA for what timing this month we can expect to see this integration?
No idea. The information I post is from the release notes.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this has been asked for for a long time, but it seems I have not heard anything about it....and that is a stand-alone viewer that can be run on any PC on the network that has access to the BI server files/databases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this has been asked for for a long time, but it seems I have not heard anything about it....and that is a stand-alone viewer that can be run on any PC on the network that has access to the BI server files/databases.
If you just want to view the cams or video clips on the BI server then one could open a browser on the PC to BI's built-in UI3 interface. You can even export clips.
I would be concerned about having a remote viewer having any sort of admin-level access to video clips and database as a possible security risk (like accidental loss of valuable video clips).

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am aware of how to do it with the browser. The native interface is much more powerful and quite a bit faster.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some more info on how smartsentry will work. Essentially, you will be emailing snapshots of triggers so that sentry can analyze them on their server which will then text you. Hopefully the other options will be better integrated.
see attached sentry guide - skip to the blue iris section.

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I updated to 4.8.5 yesterday afternoon and all seemed well. BI kept right on chugging along with no problems. Later in the evening I noticed that the webcam on my WU page was showing as MIA. I checked and everything looked normal on BI so I figured WU was having one of its, frequent, minor problems. It was still missing this morning though.

This afternoon I checked everything. FTP was working, according to the test, the camera config hadn't changed and I was scratching my head. Out of curiosity more than anything else I had BI post an image locally to see if the size met WU specs. The size was fine but, apparently the file name had changed. WU needs it to be named image and the file was named image_001. I tried everything I could think of and, of course, the last trick worked. All I did was add a period at the end of the word image in the filename. WU seems happy with that.

I have to wonder if something changed in 4.8.5 that effected the file names in posting to FTP.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the processing is done on their servers which is to be expected. I’m sure it’s impossible to encrypt this information as it makes a trip there and back to client. Too many questions for me to trust a service like that, even if they have the best intentions.

ipc5525

n3wb
Reaction score
Too many questions for me to trust a service like that, even if they have the best intentions.
Me too. I can't have my camera images being sent over the internet. I would like to have a person / vehicle detect solution that runs locally real time. I do have an NVIDIA CUDA graphic card ready for use.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So the processing is done on their servers which is to be expected. I’m sure it’s impossible to encrypt this information as it makes a trip there and back to client. Too many questions for me to trust a service like that, even if they have the best intentions.
It is sent via email. If you choose Gmail it's encrypted. You can select only outdoor cams. They have no access to your system. See thread on a free local package by sentinel you will need lots of horsepower. Sentinel Facial Recognition: Black Edition - Free for 3 cams

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@fenderman I know that this is off topic, but out of curiosity can you share how you handle motion alerts in BI, such as zone crossing, make time, etc. I know that everyone’s use case is different. I’m just trying to get an idea of some best practices to use for motion triggers in BI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk