4.8.6 - March 14, 2019 - Sentry Smart Alerts is now ready for public use

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.8.6 - March 14, 2019

• Integration with Sentry Smart Alerts is now ready for public use. Please supply feedback on this exciting venture into AI person detection! This feature is enabled on the Trigger tab in camera properties. When enabled, the camera will still record when triggered, but alerts will be "delayed" until they are verified by Sentry. If verified, the alert will proceed normally (email, etc.) and the alert image will be marked with a Sentry icon in the clips list and timeline views. If Sentry determines the alert is a continuation of a previous alert, you will see an "occupied" logo (a person) appear instead. If Sentry determines there is no reason to alert, this will be logged to Status/Messages.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So far...……. first alert was a false positive. Happened when camera switched from day to night. Dahua 5231.
I've emailed Ken.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far...……. first alert was a false positive. Happened when camera switched from day to night. Dahua 5231.
I've emailed Ken.
I think you are better off emailing sentry or posting in the sentry section of the forum. Are you sure it was a sentry based alert?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you are better off emailing sentry or posting in the sentry section of the forum. Are you sure it was a sentry based alert?
Not sure how to tell if a Sentry alert. The alert came from the camera I set up with Sentry. I'll contact them in the morning.
Message in BI log:
Sentry: No image id: An error occurred (ResourceNotFoundException) when calling the UpdateItem operation: Requested resource not found

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Not sure how to tell if a Sentry alert. The alert came from the camera I set up with Sentry. I'll contact them in the morning.
Message in BI log:
Sentry: No image id: An error occurred (ResourceNotFoundException) when calling the UpdateItem operation: Requested resource not found
ResourceNotFoundException has been resolved. Sorry for inconvenience.

-- Sam from Sentry

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
4.8.6 - March 14, 2019

• Integration with Sentry Smart Alerts is now ready for public use. Please supply feedback on this exciting venture into AI person detection! This feature is enabled on the Trigger tab in camera properties. When enabled, the camera will still record when triggered, but alerts will be "delayed" until they are verified by Sentry. If verified, the alert will proceed normally (email, etc.) and the alert image will be marked with a Sentry icon in the clips list and timeline views. If Sentry determines the alert is a continuation of a previous alert, you will see an "occupied" logo (a person) appear instead. If Sentry determines there is no reason to alert, this will be logged to Status/Messages.
Great description. Below is an image of the clip list with Sentry services. As stated above, the Sentry logo marks a clip where human activity was first detected. The red human icon identifies another clip within a close enough time where we believe it is part of the same activity.

If you have SMS and/or email alerts setup for Sentry cameras... then you will now ONLY receive alerts associated with clips with the Sentry logo, i.e. new human activity events.

A known issue is the image in the email or alert sent to user is a few seconds behind the actual image processed by Sentry. So the alert one receives may not have a person, however, if you review the clip... you will see a human is detected somewhere in that clip.

Internally, our mantra is "Stop the nonsense". We hope to reduce false alerts and deliver meaningful alerts. Hope we made one step in the right direction. More to come. Feedback welcome!

-- Sam from Sentry
upload_2019-3-15_9-21-28.png

Last edited:

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Our success is our customer's success. Any and all feedback to Sentry is welcome. Happy to assist in any way.

-- Sam from Sentry

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Message in BI log:
Sorry, we resolved the issue. We experienced some growing pains after going live. Your clip list for the corresponding camera should now have icons when humans are detected as seen below.

upload_2019-3-15_9-38-36.png

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Hi!

Same error here. Also alerts are not being truly cancelled in BI, despite Sentry announcing the alert is going to be cancelled...
The only cancellations from Sentry are email and SMS alerts. We do not alter the clips generated by BI. We only add icons suggesting when humans are in the clip. You can now avoid going over clips due to lighting changes or a squirrel running on the lawn. :)

-- Sam from Sentry

Reactions: bqz

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alerts have improved since this morning, but I am still receiving push alerts from false positives. I imagine that Sentry support is likely inundated since go-live, but I wanted to share this. Also, are there any plans to have the alerts in BI cancelled by Sentry so that all motion events don't show in the alerts?

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Alerts have improved since this morning, but I am still receiving push alerts from false positives. I imagine that Sentry support is likely inundated since go-live, but I wanted to share this. Also, are there any plans to have the alerts in BI cancelled by Sentry so that all motion events don't show in the alerts?
We only integrated with SMS & Email alerts. A lot of great feedback from users. In the next release, we plan to integrate Sentry smart alert to all the alert channels, e.g. push notifications. So, if Sentry technology returns True, only then will a push notification for that camera be sent.

-- Sam from Sentry

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Methinks it means a PTZ camera panning back & forth patrolling an area bigger than its fixed FOV.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Sentry AI is engaged after motion is detected. So if the camera is patrolling, motion will be continuous which would mean BI would always be triggering Sentry or if "re-triggering" is off, I would suspect it would never trigger because motion is continuously detected. Not really sure, but it is clear, turning on motion detection with a moving camera is a bad idea.

Sentry is contemplating providing an on-prem solution that processes live video real-time for scenarios such as patrolling cameras or cameras placed in high traffic area like a lobby in an office. Still TBD.

-- Sam from Sentry

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing video. If the patrolling is user controlled and not continuous, then turning motion on after moving the camera and enabling Sentry should be fine.

The camera movement is pretty short, so having motion enabled during the move is fine too. At worst, you will get one alert during the motion if the computer vision generates a false alert. BI default re-trigger is 10 sec so camera motion should be over well before the expiration for another trigger.

-- Sam from Sentry