4K 8mp vs 1080p 2mp

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've been doing more camera research since coming to this site and have been getting some helpful advice. I was pretty much set on getting the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS given the great low light performance. However I came upon the IPC-HDW4830EM-AS 8mp 4K camera and found it enticing. The sensor is slightly larger at 1/2.5" vs 1/2.8" but is also cramming more megapixels in there. Also it is only DWDR compared to true WDR on the 2mp brother. So am I taking a large hit low light quality chasing the megapixel race? I've seen people say that 2mp is all you need and any more that only worsens low light without giving you that much better picture. Am I crazy for having 4K lust and should stay "settled" with a solid 1080p setup? Also I'm not factoring cost in the scenario so just assume the price difference is negligible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've been doing more camera research since coming to this site and have been getting some helpful advice. I was pretty much set on getting the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS given the great low light performance. However I came upon the IPC-HDW4830EM-AS 8mp 4K camera and found it enticing. The sensor is slightly larger at 1/2.5" vs 1/2.8" but is also cramming more megapixels in there. Also it is only DWDR compared to true WDR on the 2mp brother. So am I taking a large hit low light quality chasing the megapixel race? I've seen people say that 2mp is all you need and any more that only worsens low light without giving you that much better picture. Am I crazy for having 4K lust and should stay "settled" with a solid 1080p setup? Also I'm not factoring cost in the scenario so just assume the price difference is negligible.
actually you are setting for the 4k....its much worse in low light and at night....

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I guess the ultras would be more likely to be ok for low light given the larger sensors?

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't do it. You'll be disappointed. I actually have both of those cams. Stick with the 2mp.

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for heads up. I appreciate your guys help. I will contain my 4K lust. Also Bill do happen to have any comparison pics?

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So really the question is 4K vs starlight 2MP?

imho the answer depends on which is more important - day time and more details OR low light.

Here is a sample image and video of a better light scene:
Any 4k cameras (or > 2MP) with good night Image Quality?
Nice video. The low light isn't too bad though I'm guessing the 2mp will be better. I suppose low light is more important as crimes are more likely to happen at night. It may be a few years for an affordable 4K camera with good low light too.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Use both in your system 8mp-12mp day and 2mp low light at night if you can

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe I should put the 8mp at the front door as most criminals will probably be trying anywhere else at night. And what about in combination with motion sensor lights? Would in that case low light would be less important and therefore a higher megapixek should be used since if someone is triggering the camera they are also triggering the light?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice video. The low light isn't too bad though I'm guessing the 2mp will be better. I suppose low light is more important as crimes are more likely to happen at night. It may be a few years for an affordable 4K camera with good low light too.
Depends. Package thieves and others like to hit during the day - hopefully when people are out of the house working. The 4K camera during the day should give you a 2x increase in ID range vs a like FOV 2MP / 1080p camera, or the same ID distance as a 2MP / 1080p camera at 1/2 the FOV.

The starlight line is really nice for low light views.

I liked marku's suggesting of installing BOTH... really like it. Unfortunately budget and other concerns probably will force many of use to pick one compromise over the other.

I would consider a possible mix, perhaps even having 2 cameras covering any critical area.

Maybe I should put the 8mp at the front door as most criminals will probably be trying anywhere else at night. And what about in combination with motion sensor lights? Would in that case low light would be less important and therefore a higher megapixek should be used since if someone is triggering the camera they are also triggering the light?
If your front porch is well lighted that would work well, although if the subject is close to the camera you may actually get enough pixels already with a lower res camera at that spot to ID them.

Motion activated lights would also help during that period - note though test it with your camera setup to see what sort of possible issues may occur with your cameras flipping back and forth from color to B&W mode.