4K Monitor or TV for Lorex 4k System?

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a NR9163X with 8 of the 4K/30FPS LNB9232S cameras coming. Is there any advantage of using a 4K monitor over a 4K TV?

What do you guys normally do for a "viewing station"? My wife wants something she can view the cameras out on the road with... Do you guy run an HDMI with a long USB mouse where you want to quickly see the cameras? (by the front door or kitchen perhaps?)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a NR9163X with 8 of the 4K/30FPS LNB9232S cameras coming. Is there any advantage of using a 4K monitor over a 4K TV?

What do you guys normally do for a "viewing station"? My wife wants something she can view the cameras out on the road with... Do you guy run an HDMI with a long USB mouse where you want to quickly see the cameras? (by the front door or kitchen perhaps?)
You dont need a 4k monitor or tv, it will display fine on 1080p.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Get a monitor they are designed to stay on most of the time.... a tv is a different type of application.If you need to run hdmi for long runs look into using a cat 6 cable I’ll link it

gofanco HDMI Extender 4K 60Hz (4:2:0 8-bit) HDBaseT Over CAT5e/CAT6/CAT7 Cable with Bi-Directional IR, PoC - Up to 70 Meters (230 feet) @ 1080p 60Hz 40 Meters (130 feet) @ UHD, HDCP 2.2 (HDbaseT-Ext) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3S94YT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cYHyCbBC014EW

For remote viewing (on the road) look into a vpn

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
Get a monitor they are designed to stay on most of the time.... a tv is a different type of application.If you need to run hdmi for long runs look into using a cat 6 cable I’ll link it

gofanco HDMI Extender 4K 60Hz (4:2:0 8-bit) HDBaseT Over CAT5e/CAT6/CAT7 Cable with Bi-Directional IR, PoC - Up to 70 Meters (230 feet) @ 1080p 60Hz 40 Meters (130 feet) @ UHD, HDCP 2.2 (HDbaseT-Ext) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3S94YT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cYHyCbBC014EW

For remote viewing (on the road) look into a vpn
That's a really good point on the monitor staying Camit. Thanks for linking that, I was really wondering about running an HDMI through the house.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
You dont need a 4k monitor or tv, it will display fine on 1080p.
From what I can gather from reading/watching the Lorex instruction, that NVR (when using 4k cameras) requires a 4k monitor. To your point I could set it up with my 4K PC monitor and just view with the 1080.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a really good point on the monitor staying Camit. Thanks for linking that, I was really wondering about running an HDMI through the house.
Yeah a monitor also uses less power hdmi cables are good for about 20 to 25 feet and then they lose Signal Use the cat 6 solution for a long runs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can gather from reading/watching the Lorex instruction, that NVR (when using 4k cameras) requires a 4k monitor. To your point I could set it up with my 4K PC monitor and just view with the 1080.
no it does not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good to know. The Lorex video seemed to indicate that unless you had the higher resolution monitor, you wouldn't see the menu... I'm still playing catchup! :brainfart:
thats when using a vga monitor and setting the resolution higher than the monitor is capable of.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why spend the money on a 4K system if your not going to use it ? From the looks of it the system you got a nvr and cameras that suppport 4K if I was you I would get a nice 4K monitor... for a new one your looking into paying a lot more money 300 400 new not sayin you need it but you got the power and money.

Asus VP28UQG 28" 4K/UHD 3840x2160 1ms DP HDMI Adaptive Sync/FreeSync Eye Care Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PK4R2H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_oiIyCbTYMFFMH

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why spend the money on a 4K system if your not going to use it ? From the looks of it the system you got a nvr and cameras that suppport 4K if I was you I would get a nice 4K monitor... for a new one your looking into paying a lot more money 300 400 new not sayin you need it but you got the power and money.

Asus VP28UQG 28" 4K/UHD 3840x2160 1ms DP HDMI Adaptive Sync/FreeSync Eye Care Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PK4R2H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_oiIyCbTYMFFMH
You dont need a 4k monitor to use a 4k system. The benefit is more pixels when you zoom, you can do that with a 1080p monitor.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score

I'm totally going 4K. I currently have a 27" LG monitor that's 24" wide. I might just put it on a 24" wall. Just have to figure out how to get it flush-ish. I might replace it with a 32" monitor for the computer.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - remember, if you attempt to decode too many full res streams of "4K" the NVR will eventually run out of processing power for display purposes.
When this happens you will see a display / decode error.

The NVR is designed to primarily record the streams, not decode all streams in "4K" - hint, viewing substreams from a cameras in this case helps.

MrMeeseeks

n3wb
Reaction score
So now I'm thinking of taking full advantage of a 4K monitor in the kitchen, and hooking up a KVM (Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse) switch so I can use the monitor for micro PC and my laptop as well.

1. Has anyone tried a KVM on a Lorex NVR before?
  2. Has anyone tried a wireless keyboard on the Lorex NVR before?
  3. Has anyone tried a wireless keyboard though a KVM to a Lorex NVR before?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So now I'm thinking of taking full advantage of a 4K monitor in the kitchen, and hooking up a KVM (Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse) switch so I can use the monitor for micro PC and my laptop as well.

1. Has anyone tried a KVM on a Lorex NVR before?
  2. Has anyone tried a wireless keyboard on the Lorex NVR before?
  3. Has anyone tried a wireless keyboard though a KVM to a Lorex NVR before?
you are misunderstanding, the NVR will does not display each camera in 4k on the monitor when its in matrix mode. It displays substream. If you think you are going to sit there togging this in your kitchen think again. Youll use it for 3 days.