4mp cams

jdsuowner

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got one of these and notice the wdr does not work as designed. It looks terrible in fact. The 3mp cams look tons better with wdr. Anyone else confirm this? I am on 5.3.1 BTW. I'm hoping it's a firmware bug and fixable?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I can confirm that the WDR is horrible and messed up on 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 at least as those are the two firmware versions I have tried. I have shared a couple of photos in another thread on this, so far no fix that I am aware of anyway. I have several 4mp cameras installed in different locations and they all do this, WDR works as expected on the 3mp cameras I have. Turn on WDR and the whole frame goes darker on the 4mp cameras, like you are looking through dark window tint and there is no difference in shadowed areas at all. Looks the same from WDR at 1 to WDR at 90.

There is also the ghosting bug with noise reduction set to higher than 50, set it to 100 and watch a car drive past lol, is amusing but also needs fixed.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3718-Hikvision-s-new-4MP-2-series?p=45833&viewfull=1#post45833

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Problem is there are 3 different 4MP turrets.

DS-2CD2342WD-I
DS-2CD2345-I
DS-2CD3345-I

I don't have these issues at all... how odd.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the 4mp turret, razer what kind are yours
I have the 4mp bullets. Have not picked up a turret version of the 4mp yet as they were not available when I did my last order. At least we know it is the same between the two styles. I have 40 of the bullets, and so far they all have the same issue so it has to be firmware.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have these issues at all... how odd.
I believe the trick is to have some actual sunlight to test in, not just rainy overcast weather as then the shot is already grey and you can't see the issue! Being in the UK maybe you've not seen sunlight lately to test? :) Hahaha, sorry, I jest only but could not resist seeing where you are at sir.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe the trick is to have some actual sunlight to test in, not just rainy overcast weather as then the shot is already grey and you can't see the issue! Being in the UK maybe you've not seen sunlight lately to test? :) Hahaha, sorry, I jest only but could not resist seeing where you are at sir.
Hahaha, is true because I'm going to do a comparison of my new cameras and old ones (which are going to my sister :D) but am waiting for a full day of good weather!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I you referring to WDR setting in the camera firmware? That's digital WDR which I wouldn't use, as well as noise reduction when used too much causes ghosting.

jdsuowner

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you guys know if the newer 2mp 120db cams suffer from the same wdr issue?

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvisions 5.3.3 build 150630 with encoder version 7.0 build 150609 (this is an LTS that was tftp to hikvision version)

Ghosting still there. h264+ is nice however, so far I have noticed a 30-40%? drop in bandwidth and the image seems the same.. still not great, but I am getting closer with dialing in the settings.

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't get that at all. I'm going to have to check my settings. I think I have WDR completely turn off as I'm convinced this is Digital WDR which I don't want. I know I have noise reduction completely off.

Have you got SVC off? If not, turn that to off.

I still have no idea what camera you have. I'm presuming now it's DS-2CD2342WD-I ???

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvisions 5.3.3 build 150630 with encoder version 7.0 build 150609 (this is an LTS that was tftp to hikvision version)

Ghosting still there. h264+ is nice however, so far I have noticed a 30-40%? drop in bandwidth and the image seems the same.. still not great, but I am getting closer with dialing in the settings.
Wow, you can sure see the WDR screwing up in those images for sure, it is off in the second image I assume?

I leave WDR on on most of my 3mp cameras but set it to only like 7 and it works fine, not a monster improvement but it also does not hurt anything and night shots are still good. Noise reduction set to off would kill me as I hate the noise, so at least 50% on that but it can vary from shot to shot. I set the gain down on all my cameras too, 100 makes it too noisy at night so 90% is as high as any of my cameras are set to. Other than those three settings, and the FPS and iframe adjustment I leave them pretty much alone and they do what I want on the 3mp cameras.

If they fix the ghosting and WDR I'll be a happy camper on the 4mp cameras. They obviously have dome something different in WDR in these 4mp as it is wonky now, and they never called out the WDR on the older 3mp cameras and now they are. Now just fix it! :D Digital or not it is a big help on my outdoor shots so I'd like to have it working properly.

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LTS version of the DS-2C2042WD-I

Cant find an option for SVC.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, you can sure see the WDR screwing up in those images for sure, it is off in the second image I assume?

I leave WDR on on most of my 3mp cameras but set it to only like 7 and it works fine, not a monster improvement but it also does not hurt anything and night shots are still good. Noise reduction set to off would kill me as I hate the noise, so at least 50% on that but it can vary from shot to shot. I set the gain down on all my cameras too, 100 makes it too noisy at night so 90% is as high as any of my cameras are set to. Other than those three settings, and the FPS and iframe adjustment I leave them pretty much alone and they do what I want on the 3mp cameras.

If they fix the ghosting and WDR I'll be a happy camper on the 4mp cameras. They obviously have dome something different in WDR in these 4mp as it is wonky now, and they never called out the WDR on the older 3mp cameras and now they are. Now just fix it! :D Digital or not it is a big help on my outdoor shots so I'd like to have it working properly.
You know that the 4MP settings are completely different to the 3MP settings (different sensors I'm guessing the reason). So 7 on the 3MP is not equivalent to 7 on the 4MP.

I'm going to go into the loft later with my laptop and copy all my settings, because my images are perfect.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You know that the 4MP settings are completely different to the 3MP settings (different sensors I'm guessing the reason). So 7 on the 3MP is not equivalent to 7 on the 4MP.
Here are some more examples from me playing with the camera just now, check out the "tint" that WDR is doing to the well lit areas of an image Just turns the whole image to a grey tint. (these are copped areas as I cannot share whole photo, sorry but I did get one with shadows to see.

WDR totally off.

WDR on and set to 1

WDR on and set to 51 (looks the same?)

WDR on and set to 100 (now here's a difference but not a good one!)

I have several of these cameras and they all do the same thing, at multiple locations spread out over several separate servers and same results from them all around the WDR part. I'm installing three more tomorrow at yet another location and I expect the same results.

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

@jimmyt did you have to do anything special to enable the h.264+? I signed up for the notification about it's release a month or so ago and never received anything. I hit one of there sales guys with some questions about it the other day when I was placing another order and he said they hadn't been provided much info yet about it. @milkisbad - any info on this possibly?

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's a sensor issue more so than a firmware issue. From looking at the Dahua forum, their new 4mp WDR cams are giving the same darkened, grayed, washed out, low contrast look when WDR is on. Adjusting the settings seems to help some, but it's not giving the improvement that I was expecting. Apparently, both brands are using the same sensor (or a very similar one since they seem to have identical specs and perform in equal quality). It's just nowhere near what I expected based on the "120db true WDR" I've seen in the Sony analog camera sensors. For those that haven't seen it on the Dahua forum, this is a video clip of a Sony Effio-P Analog camera with WDR off and on. The difference is remarkable and more in line to what I was expecting:

Last edited by a moderator: