4Mp ip camera HI3516D + OV4689

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Conflicting info on the sensor - says Sony and OV4689. Pretty sure Sony didn't buy Omnivsion.
Low lux is quoted as 0.01 vs 0.001 - I wonder which is right.

It mentions RTOS - as opposed to eLinux, if so would be a lot harder to mess with.
That would put me off buying just for fun.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the bleed is because of the little part on the picture that i made black with a marker.
Funny thing is , today when i mounted the dahua camera, i noticed when i slided the sun shield a bit to the front of the cam, it was also made black but by factory standard.
Now when i made it black, it isnt even that bad for a cheap cam.

I'm not sure where you see the fingerprint but there is none as far i know off ;)
For a heatsink there is space !, but a small fan would do it probably a favor.
As Spixel says that some chips are rated for 100degrees , do you speak about Celsius or Farenheit.
Thats a big difference :)

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
o yes you are right indeed, cleaned it up, no difference really.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So what's the low-light image like now? That's something that should differentiate this camera from others.
Did I understand correctly that you have fixed what looks very like an IR bleed effect on the image?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that is solved as seen on the pictures what i have done,
i wanted to place it outside but did not got time today.
Maybe tomorrow i will place it outside when it stopped raining so i can see what it does at night
Will place the pics here of course.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, i placed it really fast outside.
It is hanging with just some cable ties haha, and i did a last minute adjustment with a saw.
Forgot to make a picture but i took the sun shield or whatever it is called off the camera because there was still a bit of IR bleeding.

Made this small video with camtasia, youtube only displays it as 720 pixels but it gives an idea.
I am actually not dissapointed with the result, specially in color it is pretty good.
Now is there further away a street light on that helps allot.

Also the power plug i have used , when i connected it and took the insulation of the wire , the copper wires seemed a bit thin, so i have to replace this.
the problem what happens is now when IR goes on and the IR cut switches the power draw is to high and image will drop , you can see what i mean in the video.
Nothing to do with the camera, this is all because of my own fault ( bad wires)

There is allot of wind/rain here, almost blew of the stairs i was standing on haha.

buitenkleur.jpgbuitenZwartwit.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Is it auto focusing when switching to IR mode at the end of the video?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It is hanging with just some cable ties haha, and i did a last minute adjustment with a saw.
Lol!
Well, the IR bleed seems to be gone.
It will be interesting to see, when the wind dies down and you have the time, what the low-light image looks like with default settings.
I think it shows promise, though a bit hard to tell just yet.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it sort of looks like it but i think it can't there is no mechanical focus or anything like it.
No camera expert but i thought focus was only with moving the lens ?
Also as you see in the video, some settings do not show any difference when i turn them on.
But overall with the price in mind, it is not bad at all.
Better image then some cams i have at night that costed more.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Better image then some cams i have at night that costed more.
Yeah, it looks same as Hikvision 4MP at night I used to have which was $150, if you don't expect for this camera to ID anyone it will do fine as overall cam

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes to identify someone at night, it needs light, allot of it haha.
But in day time it is actually not bad at all.
I had very , but really, very low expectations of this model.
Especially when the pictures came about the wrong lens etc etc, but now when i have it in real life.
Sure it can be better but for this money i don't think you will find much better then this.
Anyway, i had to try haha.
3 x 5Mp coming my way now thanks to your review, maybe someone likes what they see in this review and think its something for me.

I do have a IR light, but it sucks, its like a cheap 100W light with the tubes they use in the construction
IT is filled with IR led's but it is a bundled beam instead of nice wide spread so it won't do much except beaming to a certain point.
At my house i am planning to put up LED floodlights at all locations where my cam's are and when someone passes the IR or light barriers the lights will turn off.
So if they do not really produce a great image at night this in my situation then not such a big problem.

( this is located at my parents house btw right now)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps I missed it, but did you post day time video? I am thinking to order one too for garage cam.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No you didn't missed it. When I placed the camera it was 5pm or so and already dark.
Bad weather all day long here.
Tomorrow I'll post a daytime video I record with blueiris.
Bed time now it's 1.23am
Gn

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@klasipca

Here you go , i must add i am not sure but it does not auto switch to color mode ?
I have tried some settings but none of them really made it switch ?
When i set it on color and then set it back to automatically it did stay on color !?

Think there is something with the software or i do not know how to set it haha could be that also.
First picture is from a 8 year old Iqeye 752 2Mp ? second is the 4mp cam
View attachment 8498View attachment 8499

Video is still uploading , just have 4 Mbit here and its 650Mb

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! There has to be an option which might be burred some where in the settings. I must add I owned camera before with the same firmware and it was the worst user interface I've seen in ip cams. Btw, the daytime IQ is very nice even in B&W.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes it is not bad at al, check your pm ive send a streaming link in a few seconds, remember just a 3 Mbit upload and located in Europe not sure how the routing is to your country ;)
Also opened a port to the cam so you can screw with the settings

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
yes it is not bad at al, check your pm ive send a streaming link in a few seconds, remember just a 3 Mbit upload and located in Europe not sure how the routing is to your country ;)
Also opened a port to the cam so you can screw with the settings
Thank you, I couldn't get past the login screen though. I get error "cann't find the device"... :(

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, I couldn't get past the login screen though. I get error "cann't find the device"... :(

Yes i see this now, not sure why it is but local it does work.

tested it on a remote server with teamviewer but nothing seems to work.
What you can do is use CMS .
the standalone cms program they have and that should give you acces. or maybe it is because port 34567 is not open yet ?

EDIT:
Yes, thats it.

Try again.

im off to bed , GL

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score