5.0.3 - New Edge Vector Motion Algorithm

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to forward these observations to ken via the support help button in Bi. he'll never see them here.

Forid200

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For me I'm still getting false positives at night from headlights, so it hasn't helped as much as I hoped. But I've upgraded to the 5.0.4.1 version now and see if anything has actually changed.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah this is worse, randomly. Seems to be on areas with a lot of contrast, it will miss entire people walking right through the frame, with settings on max sensitivity and 75 pixel motion detect.

BlueWave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live in a home surrounded by 50 palm trees constantly blowing in the wind making motion detection extremely difficult to be accurate, luckily Sentry has done an amazing job at suppressing 90% of false alerts however this new Edge Vector seems to be doing an amazing job too now.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't had a sunny day with fast moving clouds to see the results, but it has caused BI to miss a lot of motion. It only picks up my cars coming into the driveway half the time now. I've even reduced the make time to 0.5s (was 1s), min object size 200 (was 250), object moves 200 (was 300), and my contrast is set to 20. Object size exceeds is 67%. Yet it misses an entire car.
I use similar settings in my driveway and a couple of times the camera didn't trigger. I unchecked min obj size and object moves...but that didn't resolve the problem (ran the video through motion detector test). What did solve the problem was reducing the contrast from 23 to 15 (reducing to 19 didn't help--I didn't try 16, 17 or 18). I then rechecked min obj size and object moves and it still triggered properly. This was all before today's update, so I'll keep an eye on future triggers.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Had a lot of intermittent clouds and sunshine today and far fewer alerts than normal...in fact I don't remember one related to the light/dark cycle of clouds moving across the sun. On the downside however, I find it difficult (with edge vector selected) to get alerts properly when I use multiple zones. Will continue to tweak, monitor and provide feedback to support.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve had edge vector selected on two of my cameras for several days now, but I haven’t seen a major decrease from false alerts. I currently have only one zone set up, zone A, because I use Sentry to filter alerts. How do others have their zones set up that have had success with edge vector? i.e. zone crossing or just one zone set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve had edge vector selected on two of my cameras for several days now, but I haven’t seen a major decrease from false alerts. I currently have only one zone set up, zone A, because I use Sentry to filter alerts. How do others have their zones set up that have had success with edge vector? i.e. zone crossing or just one zone set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's important to identify what's causing the alerts. I posted that light/dark changes due to clouds/sun greatly reduced the alerts (on cams where I have one zone for motion detection) that I'm experiencing using edge vector. What's causing your false alerts?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I left everything the same except changed motion detection from Simple to Edge Vector. Since making that change, I'm not getting the triggers that I should. I'm not sure it's quite ready.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had to adjust some zones, but so far it's working great.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Had to adjust some zones, but so far it's working great.
What kind of zone adjustments did you have to make? Edge Vector is missing cars and people in that Simple always triggered.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had to move, enlarge and remove additional ones. But this is probably specific to every cam (environment) and its use case. My issue was just triggering, not detection itself.
And I also only record indoors.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like there is less CPU usage with new BI upgrade. Anyone else notice?

xm4rcell0x

n3wb
Reaction score
I left everything the same except changed motion detection from Simple to Edge Vector. Since making that change, I'm not getting the triggers that I should. I'm not sure it's quite ready.
Same things... Edge Vector in some of my cameras doesn't recognize cars and people, but recognizes the rain, cats etc etc....
Change it back to gaussian, waiting for some improvements.

Forid200

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well on 5.0.4.2 been playing around with Edge vector for a while, in my environment. So far it hasn't really missed anything, but it hasn't made the false positive situations any better either. At night, I still get a lot of false positives from car headlights.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This has not worked for me. It was obvious person walking around and it was fairly sensitive and it didn't catch anything.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unsure. Trigger - > configure -> use zones and hot spots -> Zone A and I highlight. How would I use multiple zones?
If you post some screenshots of the trigger settings for the profile you're using (main trigger window, object detection window and zone/hot spot window)--might be able to assist.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you post some screenshots of the trigger settings for the profile you're using (main trigger window, object detection window and zone/hot spot window)--might be able to assist.
Can you let me know what setting I should be adjusting?

Main profile:

---

Object detection -- never changed this.
object travel pixels checked: 100

object exceeds 67

---
zones/hot spots:
just says zone A and what I highlighted. If I go to any other zone it had the yellow faded out?