5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I know if it is stable or even the right version? My system is not connected to the internet anymore so I cannot run updates automatically.
First and foremost follow posts on this forum. Second, the update prior to this one included a mechanism that tells you which last update is believed to be stable.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
"You may now specify a second “sub” stream for an RTSP camera. The software will pull
video from both streams, using the main stream only for audio and direct-to-disc recording
(and playback) and the sub-stream for everything else. This really has become a necessity
with the popularity of 4K (8MP) cameras (and beyond)."

With the above in mind, would a low substream resolution be sufficient for motion detection (such as SENTRY)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"You may now specify a second “sub” stream for an RTSP camera. The software will pull
video from both streams, using the main stream only for audio and direct-to-disc recording
(and playback) and the sub-stream for everything else. This really has become a necessity
with the popularity of 4K (8MP) cameras (and beyond)."

With the above in mind, would a low substream resolution be sufficient for motion detection (such as SENTRY)?
The image sent to Sentry is already a low resolution image

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
^^ What fenderman said. Integrations with an LPR service of course require high resolution, in which case you would simply not enable a sub stream for your LPR camera.

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's great news. Okay - i'll reconfigure all my zones and motion detection.

Quick question - what is the recommended FPS for accurate motion detection? For my 24/7 recording i've got it on 20fps (my front door is set to 25fps as it looks a little nicer). Currently to lower CPU i've set my FPS and iframe to 10fps with limit decoding to disabled.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Blue Iris only submits one frame per second to the motion detector until a trigger occurs, then it submits every frame until the event is considered over. So really it makes little difference what frame rate you have.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
5.2.7.1 is out. It is a version to skip, for sure.

It added this to the Update Notes section in the help file.

5.2.7 - May 1, 2020

You may now specify a second “sub” stream for an RTSP camera. The software will pull
with the popularity of 4K (8MP) cameras (and beyond).
I noticed a couple of changes between 5.2.7.0 and this.

The sub stream input box has an updated label, is now taller, and correctly handles the {CAMNO} macro in the parameters string.

I did a test recording of a cam with sub stream enabled, and it is just a pure black frame during playback. This used to work. Now it doesn't.

This patch also has BI automatically correcting the aspect ratio of the sub stream, but the method used is ... I'll be honest ... it is really bad. It seems that upon first usage of a sub-stream, BI calculates an enlarged frame size of the correct (more-or-less) aspect ratio should be and sets the camera's Anamorphic (force size) setting to rescale to that. This setting sticks so if you later change the sub stream resolution in the camera's web interface, or if you disable the sub stream entirely, BI will still be configured to rescale your video to that one specific size. BI will not apparently change the anamorphic setting again, so this seems to be a one-time-per-camera thing. :smash:

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a test recording of a cam with sub stream enabled, and it is just a pure black frame during playback. This used to work. Now it doesn't.
I had similar on 5.2.7.0, turned Encoding off & back on, and that seemed to help, probably more fluke than anything though! :smash:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Although discussed in another thread it may be prudent to ask again since there may be a requirement to redraw motion zones when aspect ratio changes: Not long ago Ken added a copy/paste function in the window where motion zones are drawn. I can't get it to work and there's not much detail in Help, but it sure seems like Copy/Paste would speed things up if it were functional--maybe it is but I can't figure it out. Anyone?

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although discussed in another thread it may be prudent to ask again since there may be a requirement to redraw motion zones when aspect ratio changes: Not long ago Ken added a copy/paste function in the window where motion zones are drawn. I can't get it to work and there's not much detail in Help, but it sure seems like Copy/Paste would speed things up if it were functional--maybe it is but I can't figure it out. Anyone?
If you're hoping to copy existing zone maps from one resolution to another you’re going to struggle unfortunately.

I’m sure I looked at similar when we upped from v4 to v5 and zones were lost and found that the zones were literally pixel grid references.

A pixel grid of 1920x1080 will never match up to 640x480 for example. They’re different aspect ratios for starters.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s ever going to work in this situation. (As in, almost certain it’ll never work)

I’ve tried to get the copy and paste to work but like you failed.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're hoping to copy existing zone maps from one resolution to another you’re going to struggle unfortunately.

I’m sure I looked at similar when we upped from v4 to v5 and zones were lost and found that the zones were literally pixel grid references.

A pixel grid of 1920x1080 will never match up to 640x480 for example. They’re different aspect ratios for starters.
Ah yes, great explanation; I didn't think of that for this application. Copy/pasting from zone maps with identical resolution should be possible however, but to date can't get it working. I'll bet it's a feature Ken hasn't had time to work out quite yet.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I'm clearly doing something wrong in my setup after downloading 5.2.7.1.

First thing I did was go into the cameras and set up the substreams at 6 FPS.

Next, I enabled multicast.

Then got my Mainstream and Substream addresses and ports.

Next, I went into Blue Iris and for each camera, I set my mainstream and substream addresses with the appropriate ports.

So, my CPU usage went up a noticeable amount and I figured out my substream FPS and rate were pretty much the same my mainstream.

If it's working for others, there's clearly something off in my setup. Any ideas?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm clearly doing something wrong in my setup after downloading 5.2.7.1.

First thing I did was go into the cameras and set up the substreams at 6 FPS.

Next, I enabled multicast.

Then got my Mainstream and Substream addresses.

Next, I went into Blue Iris and for each camera, I set my mainstream and substream addresses with the appropriate ports.

So, my CPU usage went up a noticeable amount and I figured out my substream FPS and rate were pretty much the same my mainstream.

If it's working for others, there's clearly something off in my setup. Any ideas?
disable multicast. Its completely unrelated. Every camera has a separate substream path as noted in the prior posts. See post 5.