5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

jnweith

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that when viewing live stream on a camera with a sub stream setting that the video seems to stutter or jump from time to time? I am not referring to when it first shift from the sub stream to the primary stream but while continuous viewing.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine did this while on 5.2.9...rebooted BI, not cams...problem continued. Guess I'll try rebooting all the cams next.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that when viewing live stream on a camera with a sub stream setting that the video seems to stutter or jump from time to time? I am not referring to when it first shift from the sub stream to the primary stream but while continuous viewing.
This has still not resolved for me since installing 5.2.9.0. Have tried the latest three new versions and nothing corrects this. I've repaired/regen'd the database to no avail...also rebooted all cams and BI multiple times. Tried Sebastiontombs suggestion but nothing works. I've had no problems for months until this.

I'm likely in the minority with this problem, but has anyone who has had this problem figured out how to resolve this? Likely an issue on my end so I haven't reached out to Ken.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone have a hint about the substream for a B5442E-ZE? I've tried the standard of "stream-1" with no luck at all.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This has still not resolved for me since installing 5.2.9.0. Have tried the latest three new versions and nothing corrects this. I've repaired/regen'd the database to no avail...also rebooted all cams and BI multiple times. Tried Sebastiontombs suggestion but nothing works. I've had no problems for months until this.

I'm likely in the minority with this problem, but has anyone who has had this problem figured out how to resolve this? Likely an issue on my end so I haven't reached out to Ken.
Edit: I can resolve the issue only if I max out fps on the substream.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
It is a bit more complicated than it could have been, due to how Blue iris splits up all the parts of the RTSP URL.

Dahua

Here is how I do it for Dahua, broken down Barney-style.

1) Copy the Main stream text into the Sub stream box.
2) Type a question mark (?) after the text you pasted in the Sub stream box.
3) Copy the Params text into the Sub stream box after the question mark.
4) Change subtype=0 to subtype=1. (or subtype=2 if using the second sub stream on a camera that has multiple)

View attachment 61281

Hikvision

My Hikvision cams don't use a Params section, so I just need to copy the Main Stream text and change {CAMNO} to 2.

View attachment 61282

A similar procedure can be followed for most cameras. You just need to figure out which part tells the camera which stream you want. In some cases, there might not be a number or anything obvious, so you should google for the correct RTSP url format. ispyconnect often has a good list. Ex: "ispyconnect hikvision rtsp URL"

Thank you for this info.. So I switched most of my cameras and started using sub stream today to my surprise My CPU went from 70-80 % to 30-40 % wow and my cpu is hella old like 10 year old 980x.. This is really really good My first day of using sub stream. Should I watch out for anything in terms of recording ? I just wanna make sure I am still able to get the Full Reso video.. My Main profile is still set to main stream ..

Also one of my camera was only able to do 8 fps on this old ancient processor I am now trying to push 20 fps on it will see how that goes :D Thank you Blueiris and ipcam talk .. This is a game changer...

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for this info.. So I switched most of my cameras and started using sub stream today to my surprise My CPU went from 70-80 % to 30-40 % wow and my cpu is hella old like 10 year old 980x.. This is really really good My first day of using sub stream. Should I watch out for anything in terms of recording ? I just wanna make sure I am still able to get the Full Reso video.. My Main profile is still set to main stream ..

Also one of my camera was only able to do 8 fps on this old ancient processor I am now trying to push 20 fps on it will see how that goes :D Thank you Blueiris and ipcam talk .. This is a game changer...
Just watch for changes in motion detection IF you use motion. The pixel mapping from main to sub stream changes, so in most cases you’ll need to reconfigure motion parameters. Zones, object size, object moves X pixels etc

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Will try to re configure those zone and object sizes. This is totally a game changer nice. So earlier My CPU at times was even 90-100 % when viewing live and i had to pause it and that would bring it down to 70-75%.. And Idle when PC is locked and watching thru remote blue iris app it was like 55% iish..

Now after I switched most of the cameras with Sub stream only 4 more to go. Here are the result I am seeing and not to mention this is with one of the camera which is a 8mp I went from 8fps to 20 fps ..

Idle (When PC is in Locked state) @ times 13-15 % max 30 %

When Viewing Live Thru BI IOS App or PC around 35 %..

Max I have seen is around 40 % but which comes down quick again to 30 ish ..

I can use PC for Browsing or something if I want to usually its in locked state.

This sub stream feature completely blows out of water of the idea of needing a upgraded PC to run BI. Again this is on my 10 year old processor (980x) Very Nice Impressed !!

jnweith

n3wb
Reaction score
May have find a solution to the stuttering while live viewing cameras with sub-streams. I changed the sub-stream frame rate to match the main stream's frame rate and it seems to have corrected the stutter problem on all six of my cameras with sub-streams.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May have find a solution to the stuttering while live viewing cameras with sub-streams. I changed the sub-stream frame rate to match the main stream's frame rate and it seems to have corrected the stutter problem on all six of my cameras with sub-streams.
If it works for you that is great

I have 29 cameras at different frame-rates (some of the LPR cameras at 50 FPS with their substreams at 3 FPS) and no stuttering problems.

Until UI3 is able to view the full stream when individual cameras are selected, I prefer to keep the resolution of the substream high (1080p) but the frame rate as low as feasible (2 or 3 FPS) - this keeps the CPU way down but still shows a reasonable image quality on UI3.

I am still seeing the BI service crash and restart several times a day on the latest version, only really noticeable in the log files. Just in case the problem was at my end, I bought a second BI license and a new PC (fresh win10-64 install), set up a duplicate build from scratch, no REG file back-up, got as far as adding 6 cameras (using substreams) and noticed the "unexpected service restart" in the log files, so I think I have ruled-out corruption on my main PC as the issue and/or too many cameras or strange settings on some. Hopefully it will get fixed eventually.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I have seen the unexpected start-up too. Newest version still hasn't fixed it. Looking at video it misses maybe a few seconds, so as long as nothing happens in that time LOL.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, I have seen the unexpected start-up too. Newest version still hasn't fixed it. Looking at video it misses maybe a few seconds, so as long as nothing happens in that time LOL.
Yeah, as it is random and I now have a fully redundant (duplicate) BI system running, the chances are one of my two BI instances will catch the few seconds that are lost while the other system recovers.

I feel happier now having the second system ticking away (headless) in the corner as a back-up. I might leave that one alone (no version upgrades) and continue being a beta-tester on the first setup:)

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From me to Ken:
Hi Ken,
I'm using sub streams with autocycle and solo selected camera. I noticed the fps and iframe used with the mainstream must also be used with the sub stream, otherwise there's a noticeable stuttering on the camera display (mainstream). Is it not possible to use 25fps and iframe 25 on the mainstream and say 15fps/15iframe on the sub stream without the visible stuttering? BI version 5.2.7.12 does not have this problem.

From Ken to me:
It is true the sub stream drives the camera frame pipeline, they are not separable. It is recommended they use the same FPS. Most cameras will also then assign them the exact same timecode, which helps all-around to keep things in order.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From me to Ken:
Hi Ken,
I'm using sub streams with autocycle and solo selected camera. I noticed the fps and iframe used with the mainstream must also be used with the sub stream, otherwise there's a noticeable stuttering on the camera display (mainstream). Is it not possible to use 25fps and iframe 25 on the mainstream and say 15fps/15iframe on the sub stream without the visible stuttering? BI version 5.2.7.12 does not have this problem.

From Ken to me:
It is true the sub stream drives the camera frame pipeline, they are not separable. It is recommended they use the same FPS. Most cameras will also then assign them the exact same timecode, which helps all-around to keep things in order.
Interesting.

I'm not using autocycle, but it might explain the weird glitch I've seen with random incorrect timestamps on clips as I've been trying to optimize fps and iframe settings on both streams. One camera would have several sequential triggered motion clips, but one would have the wrong time stamp even though the in camera overlay showed the right time. I'll have to configure the streams to match and see if it happens again.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
From me to Ken:
Hi Ken,

From Ken to me:
It appears there are several secret requirements to get the sub stream to play correctly. I looked and saw nothing about running same fps in help menu. I do no that since I quit using the sub streams I have had zero issues with the time stamp glitch. I'm happy as hell though that the metadata now works in direct to disk bvr recordings.

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears there are several secret requirements to get the sub stream to play correctly. I looked and saw nothing about running same fps in help menu. I do no that since I quit using the sub streams I have had zero issues with the time stamp glitch. I'm happy as hell though that the metadata now works in direct to disk bvr recordings.
I just tried matching FPS & iframe (on main stream and substream) on one camera and did not see any difference, so am leaving the others as they are (low FPS on substream).... happy with the trade-off and don't use autocycle

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah my Dahua DVRs (basically hot trash) can only do 12-15FPS on the main and 7FPS on the sub, and I think this is at the heart of some of the issues me and a few other members were having. I'm going to remove the sub config from any camera that's pulling a DVR stream then, and leave the main/sub config on the IP cams that are more capable of matching parameters.