5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When did you purchase BI - the developer now has that happen after the 1 year is up (it has always been a possibility but he just recently activated it).

If so, you will have to renew or update to the last version before the one year is up.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had BI for years. My last v5 "extended support" year happened to expire 2 weeks ago. Really odd that there were no issues before I did the manual install of a small version number.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The updates are now date and support dependant so have a look at the BI updates thread, look at the date that your support expired and install the updates as close to your expiry date that you can for the time being, that should get rid of the message you are seeing.

Long term, it's up to you if you extend your support which will then allow you to install the updates without the expired issue.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I got there Priority support and not to just get support. I really love the app Cant see me using anything but blueiris for security cams. Also I think 59.95 is way fair.. a year for updates. The work Ken puts to make blue iris so much better like the recent one where it use sub stream that is saving people portential hardware upgrade cost :) Not to mention there are some updates coming here almost 3-5 times a week that tells me he activly looks at his code every morning and see how can he improve it even more. He really puts his heart into the software Love blueiris very happy with it Thank you! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had BI for years. My last v5 "extended support" year happened to expire 2 weeks ago. Really odd that there were no issues before I did the manual install of a small version number.
Yes, this was obviously done intentionally and nothing to do with everyone having issue with the latest updates as they have several new advanced features. You should not trust the blue iris developer, if he can do this, he is probably spying on you as well. So just use another vms, let us know which you choose so we can all follow suit. How dare he charge you for updates with new features that you obviously want. 30 dollars a year is insane for optional updates. You did pay an entire 60 bux for the software, a huge chunk of change that you undoubtedly spent months saving for by forgoing Starbucks.

Last edited:

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, this was obviously done intentionally and nothing to do with everyone having issue with the latest updates as they have several new advanced features. You should not trust the blue iris developer, if he can do this, he is probably spying on you as well. So just use another vms, let us know which you choose so we can all follow suit. How dare he charge you for updates with new features that you obviously want. 30 dollars a year is insane for optional updates. You did pay an entire 60 bux for the software, a huge chunk of change that you undoubtedly spent months saving for by forgoing Starbucks.
Relax. I can't believe you spent time writing this. I have no issues with $30 for a great program and I renewed. I had to sort through if I was having a bug or not. Problem solved thanks to this forum. life moves on. There were no complaints in my messages.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Relax. I can't believe you spent time writing this. I have no issues with $30 for a great program and I renewed. I had to sort through if I was having a bug or not. Problem solved thanks to this forum. life moves on. There were no complaints in my messages.
"My last v5 "extended support" year happened to expire 2 weeks ago. Really odd that there were no issues before I did the manual install of a small version number. "...there were no complaints just an false assertion that it was done intentionally. I cant believe you spent time fabricating a lie.

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"My last v5 "extended support" year happened to expire 2 weeks ago. Really odd that there were no issues before I did the manual install of a small version number. "...there were no complaints just an false assertion that it was done intentionally
Nope, its called troubleshooting. Absolutely no ill will in thinking the developer is out to get me. Your false assertion. Problem solved no further help needed on this.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On a point related to high MP cameras.
In pursuit of optimising video quality I have concluded (possibly incorrectly) that for my assorted Dahua cams the following applies;
  • H.264H produces sharper images over H.265. I couldn't notice this with my 4 MP cameras, however on the 8 MP it is. Yes, they use more disk space, but not a lot perhaps only saved 20% with H.265 compared to H.264H
  • CBR over VBR - yes I know the theory that VBR should use a lot less disk space in idle scenes, but disk is cheap and there are times where I see less ghosting\artifacting with CBR. Just seems like "less exceptions" occur with CBR and the bit rate still seems quite reasonable.

Controversial perhaps, and wrong I may be. However I am convinced H.265 and VBR are not worth the disk savings, and I use constant recording. Also processing\viewing H.265 generally uses more compute, okay so perhaps not so much of an issue now with sub-streams but efficient is efficient.

Anyone else agree? What settings are you using for Sub-Streams? I use sub-stream 2 on the Duahua's, as the it supports a similar aspect ration of 1080p at 6fps. I use a make time of 0.5s in BI Triggers, so really could drop this to 3-2fps and not notice a difference.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"My last v5 "extended support" year happened to expire 2 weeks ago. Really odd that there were no issues before I did the manual install of a small version number. "...there were no complaints just an false assertion that it was done intentionally. I cant believe you spent time fabricating a lie.
Relax man, I see no false assertions here ...

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In pursuit of optimising video quality I have concluded (possibly incorrectly) that for my assorted Dahua cams the following applies;
  • H.264H produces sharper images over H.265. I couldn't notice this with my 4 MP cameras, however on the 8 MP it is. Yes, they use more disk space, but not a lot perhaps only saved 20% with H.265 compared to H.264H
  • CBR over VBR - yes I know the theory that VBR should use a lot less disk space in idle scenes, but disk is cheap and there are times where I see less ghosting\artifacting with CBR. Just seems like "less exceptions" occur with CBR and the bit rate still seems quite reasonable.

Controversial perhaps, and wrong I may be. However I am convinced H.265 and VBR are not worth the disk savings, and I use constant recording. Also processing\viewing H.265 generally uses more compute, okay so perhaps not so much of an issue now with sub-streams but efficient is efficient.

Anyone else agree? What settings are you using for Sub-Streams? I use sub-stream 2 on the Duahua's, as the it supports a similar aspect ration of 1080p at 6fps. I use a make time of 0.5s in BI Triggers, so really could drop this to 3-2fps and not notice a difference.
H.265 on Dahua does create a bit of ghosting between i-frames for me on large pixel changes. I might be able to increase the bitrate to compensate, but it's not too important to me.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

This is very camera dependent. I see ZERO DIFFERENCE between H.265 and H.264 across all my cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahh not 4k. I see you listed the difference with 8MP cams. I don't see any difference with 4MP cams.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How is the new sub stream working for everyone now?
Just came across this wonderful feature and enabled yesterday it for 4 dahuas on BI 5.2.9.19. Only been about a day, but seems stable so far!