5.3.2.5 licence issue

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there.
had BI for serval years now and been on BI5 for 3-4 months now at least.
Just updated to 5.3.2.5 and on the reboot it lost my licence details and displays the demo version (with watermark on screen).
I have entered the licence and it went though ok but would still say it was activated.
pressed to activate in the settings and activated ok.
But it still shows the watermark on the screen and if I restart BI I have to go though the activation cycle/loop again.

not too sure what is going on?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
has you license expired ? Look at the date on the Blue iris system about screen. If it has expired go back to a previous version, before the expire date.

By the way there are database problems with the version 5.3.2.5 I would recommend NOT using that version.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers. I went back to 5.2.6.5 and the issue resolved itself.
As for expired licence is this a thing? I only ask as
I thought it was the support plan that expired not the actual licence.
as I said before had this for serval years and started on BI4, bought a years support and upgraded to BI5 and all went ok (bought support
Just before BI5 dropped but left it nearly a year before going up to BI5)
It’s correct that my support plan has expired but does this now stop me updating BI5 versions as it didn’t on BI4 updates?

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thought it was the support plan that expired not the actual licence.
But your license did not expire, did it? You're still running 5.2.6.5 so your license is fine.

What you are not entitled to are new versions that were released after your support plan expired which makes total sense.

Now I do think the update system should not allow you to update a new version that you don't have a license for without any warning but from what I've read here it does.

as I said before had this for serval years and started on BI4, bought a years support and upgraded to BI5 and all went ok (bought support Just before BI5 dropped but left it nearly a year before going up to BI5)
It’s correct that my support plan has expired but does this now stop me updating BI5 versions as it didn’t on BI4 updates?
It doesn't matter when you actually download and install an upgrade, what matters is the original release date of what you're trying to install and whether that date lies before or after the epiration date of your support plan. Having said that I think I've read here that Perspective Software has tightened up the implementation of their license system a bit but it seems to me only to the point that it now actually implements the above which makese total sense. License checking may have been more (too) relaxed previously.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But your license did not expire, did it? You're still running 5.2.6.5 so your license is fine.

What you are not entitled to are new versions that were released after your support plan expired which makes total sense.

Now I do think the update system should not allow you to update a new version that you don't have a license for without any warning but from what I've read here it does.

It doesn't matter when you actually download and install an upgrade, what matters is the original release date of what you're trying to install and whether that date lies before or after the epiration date of your support plan. Having said that I think I've read here that Perspective Software has tightened up the implementation of their license system a bit but it seems to me only to the point that it now actually implements the above which makese total sense. License checking may have been more (too) relaxed previously.
Ok that makes sense if that’s the case.

So is it now correct then that you have to have a valid support plan to update BI5? As this was not the case in BI4?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes if you want to keep updating you need a valid support plan else you can keep running the version that came out at around the time that your support plan expired.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense if that’s the case.

So is it now correct then that you have to have a valid support plan to update BI5? As this was not the case in BI4?
It was also the case for bi4. The developer was nice enough not to enforce it.