5.3.5 - November 27, 2020

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
With the previous updates I found that after updating if you didn’t touch the camera settings external triggers continued to work but as soon as you did a Find/Inspect the external triggers stopped.

Not anywhere near my BI PC so will have to wait till tomorrow to test.

Chris169

n3wb
Reaction score
With the previous updates I found that after updating if you didn’t touch the camera settings external triggers continued to work but as soon as you did a Find/Inspect the external triggers stopped.

Not anywhere near my BI PC so will have to wait till tomorrow to test.
Same here. I just happened to be adding a new camera to my setup last weekend and encountered the issue. So the best test is to delete the camera and re-add it with the Find/Inspect.

After rereading the release notes, I suspect that the issue is caused by a change in how BI is reading the Onvif trigger tags in the XML being sent from the camera.

I will test the new release later tonight and reply with my results.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
1607010011603.png

I did this for one of my Dahua PTZ and did do the Find/Inspect this time instead of manual it does come back as Generic/ONVIF is that normal ?

BI ver - 5.3.6.1

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of mine come back as Generic/ONVIF as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still having detection problems with ONVIF events and have noticed another strange behavior. I use substream 1 on all my cameras because it has the lowest available resolution. With the new ONVIF discovery it doesn't find substream 1 even though it's running and instead finds substream 2, which is shut off, and enables it which means it "talks" to the camera. OK, I can go back and change the setting in the camera but it shouldn't be doing that at all and it should be detecting ONVIF events. The cameras involved are 5442, 5231 and 4231. I'm getting very frustrated by this.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still having detection problems with ONVIF events and have noticed another strange behavior. I use substream 1 on all my cameras because it has the lowest available resolution. With the new ONVIF discovery it doesn't find substream 1 even though it's running and instead finds substream 2, which is shut off, and enables it which means it "talks" to the camera. OK, I can go back and change the setting in the camera but it shouldn't be doing that at all and it should be detecting ONVIF events. The cameras involved are 5442, 5231 and 4231. I'm getting very frustrated by this.
Ya seeing similar mess here. Today's update is not appreciably better.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you report that behavior to BI? I was just ready to make the update, but will hold off. Seems like it would be able to recognize which streams are active and pull those? Interesting that it is going into the camera and enabling.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not gotten the onvif to work either it was on the Dahua PTZ.. but have never used onvif in the past so I am not even sure what I am missing I check alerts for onvif and nothing is ever there my guess its not working

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not gotten the onvif to work either it was on the Dahua PTZ.. but have never used onvif in the past so I am not even sure what I am missing I check alerts for onvif and nothing is ever there my guess its not working
Have you set triggers on the cam itself? You also need to enable external triggers within the Triggers tab for the cam in BI.

Chris169

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe download "ONVIF device manager" and login to the camera and open the events window. Then initialize the camera and watch the events. If the issue continues, I'd send a screenshot of the initial events to BI support to help them investigate.

In general I found the ODM tool pretty interesting. Most of the information was over my head and probably dangerous in my hands, but it pulled back the curtain a little on what was happening.

ONVIF Device Manager

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you set triggers on the cam itself? You also need to enable external triggers within the Triggers tab for the cam in BI.
I will look into this thank you so much! I did not see external trigger in trigger tab but I think I found it in alert.

1607180459422.png1607180498816.png

This was already on though. I will check the camera next :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@tech101 You missed the key one, put an "x" at the top, Trigger tab, in the "Sources" "Camera's digital input or motion alarm".

I know that ONVIF triggers are being sent. As soon as I downgrade to 5.3.4.3 they start appearing again. After upgrading to the 5.4.x.x versions I have done "find/inspect" and even deleted and recreated the cameras with no results for ONVIF. In fact even BI motion detection seems to become very non-sensitive and things that normally cause triggers don't. It sure would be nice to be able to sort events based on source, but until this gets straightened out I'm sticking with 5.3.4.3. I have sent an email to BI support but haven't heard back yet. I'm not surprised at that given how busy Ken probably is trying to figure out what's going wrong.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found that in certain, specific, cases ONVIF (trip lines or intrusion boxes) work more reliably than BI motion detection. As with everything YMMV.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So try it on the PTZ I got the trip lines are there however nothing shows up on the onvif alerts.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry yes as @sebastiantombs has said enable that Cameras digital input option in the Triggers tab.

You then need to configure IVS in the cam, so on my 5231-ze cams I have tripwires set and enabled.

With the latest update it’s all working for me, had to do a Find/Inspect on all the cams and check/set the main and substream. The ONVIF source for my cams is now set to 00000 and 00000.