5.7.2 - March 22, 2023 - Identifying and resolving storage errors and pitfalls

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Im using zerotier and BI App on iphone on .2.3 and my webserver seems to be working.....lemme turn off wifi....Ok ....yeah it's working on 5G cellular as well.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Im using zerotier and BI App on iphone on .2.3 and my webserver seems to be working.....lemme turn off wifi....Ok ....yeah it's working on 5G cellular as well.
Does it work using UI3 web page in browser? I don't really use the app for anything other than push notifications. I've had past instances where the mobile app was able to connect and UI3 couldn't - or vice versa, so I presume they use different pathways.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
lemme check....well i logged onto the UI3, and it works locally on my BI PC........I haven't used UI3 much.......from a distance.....lemme check...yeah your right.....i tried the WAN remote address from web service and did not get thru...on my phone. But I'm not well versed on How Zerotier and UI3 would interact when attempting to logon at the Wan address, unless I need to add an additional zerotier connection....but whatever I have a pounding headache....

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
lemme check....well i logged onto the UI3, and it works locally on my BI PC........I haven't used UI3 much.......from a distance.....lemme check...yeah your right.....i tried the WAN remote address from web service and did not get thru...on my phone. But I'm not well versed on How Zerotier and UI3 would interact when attempting to logon at the Wan address, unless I need to add an additional zerotier connection....but whatever I have a pounding headache....
I appreciate you trying this. I'm pretty certain it's a gremlin in the latest release. It works on .2.2 but not .2.3 and is repeatable with reinstalls/downgrades. I've already sent an email to Ken. I'm pretty simple using unique port forward so no VPN or other go-betweens that could be the culprit. Other family that regularly logs in remotely started complaining immediately.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
@erkme73 My UI3 connects fine as well as Iphone app via wan on BI 5.7.2.3

Ken got back to me on what the Oldest = 300/480 stands for:

Your oldest is clip is 300 hours old and it will be deleted when it gets to 480.

49.jpg

By mistake I had this checked on my alerts, which I did not realize. So, you will only see the oldest= line if you have this checked. Guess this new status did bring this to my attention !

50.jpg

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like I've stymied Ken... He says he has to think about a solution to the problem I'm seeing. Has something to do with the limit access by ip box. I have only admin whitelisted IPs (^LAN_IP) for my Roku TVs and HASSIO system. Nothing black listed or auto banned. He seems to think that a change in the latest version changed the way IP restrictions are implemented. He suggested that as a workaround for now, add +* to essentially whitelist all IPs so they can still get to the login screen. I've tried that, but it didn't change anything. I relayed this back to him. Hopefully it'll get resolved. In the interim, I'm staying with .2.2.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, for once, I figured something out before Ken. My brother's nearly identical system was able to run 2.3 w/o any remote access issues. So I had him send me a screen shot of his advanced webserver tab. They were identical to mine, except he actually had a few banned IPs (-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). So I created a random wan IP and entered it as a banned IP. Immediately, all other IPs were unblocked. I forwarded this info to Ken.

But it explains why others didn't have the issue. Whether through auto-ban or manual entry, if your ip access list has any banned IPs in it, you would not have noticed this bug.

Now back to the topic of the thread (my apologies for hijacking the thread in the first place).... What is everyone doing to minimize the number of records in the DB? Mine is huge. Compacting doesn't do much.

1679918674123.png

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, for once, I figured something out before Ken. My brother's nearly identical system was able to run 2.3 w/o any remote access issues. So I had him send me a screen shot of his advanced webserver tab. They were identical to mine, except he actually had a few banned IPs (-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). So I created a random wan IP and entered it as a banned IP. Immediately, all other IPs were unblocked. I forwarded this info to Ken.

But it explains why others didn't have the issue. Whether through auto-ban or manual entry, if your ip access list has any banned IPs in it, you would not have noticed this bug.

Now back to the topic of the thread (my apologies for hijacking the thread in the first place).... What is everyone doing to minimize the number of records in the DB? Mine is huge. Compacting doesn't do much.

View attachment 158157
Good job, yes I do have banned IP's . Not sure what to do for DB. Do you continuous record ? You seem to have plenty of storage so somehow you need to reduce records.

On another issue with 5.7.2.3, I get this whenever I try to do a manual compact/repair. Reporting to BI.

52.jpg53.jpg

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, on 5.7.2.3, all of my tablets here were unable to connect. Went back one to 5.7.2.2 and it's all good again.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, on 5.7.2.3, all of my tablets here were unable to connect. Went back one to 5.7.2.2 and it's all good again.
just add -0.0.0.0 to your webserver ip access list. It's under global settings, web server, advanced. A single "banned" IP fixes the issue. Ken said the next release will fix this automatically.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm on 5.7.2.4 and upon logging into my BI machine, I noticed the new DB status window, however I get the following error message.
1680493962157.png
Here's my allocation:
1680493994799.png

And here are my storage settings:
1680494030347.png
1680494059581.png
1680494076022.png

My 6TB HDD is a WD Purple CCTV drive. Basically I'm just saving all the clips there and setting BI to delete the oldest as it reaches the drive limit.

Is this not optimal? I thought the WD Purple would have more than enough performance to satisfy quick DB access, although I have realized that accessing clips older than 24 hours from UI3 is sluggish at best, and generates a lot of 'remote server disconnected: Reconnecting' error messages.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is your 330,000 clips that is the issue.

BI can get unstable after 200,000 clips (looks like now called records) It used to say that in the BI help file, then disappeared for awhile, and I guess now makes it way here.

You must have something set up causing a lot of clips like taking lots of hi res images or wrong cut and combine or something. I used to do that and was over 200,000 but blew them out and now under 10,000 with double the storage that you have.

You also have the compact/repair unchecked - are you manually doing that on a frequent basis?

Your alerts folder only needs to be 1GB unless you are storing frequent hi-rez images every few seconds LOL, but each one counts as a clip, this making your issue worse.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure I like the idea of an undissmissable dialogue. Maybe if BI isn't able to record at all, but could get annoying with slow performance messages you can't dismiss where there's no actual issue in the recordings.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The dialogue changed after it initially posted that message( by itself). and then straightened out after a db/compact.
Now when i restart BI the window is not up by default( i think).
but can be toggled on and off with a right click on the alerts section of the screen.
1680496262653.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Something else Ihadn't noticed before is that occasionally BI reports GPU% next to CPU%.( in 5.7.2.4)
it did it when I used the snipping tool ( video option)

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You must have something set up causing a lot of clips like taking lots of hi res images or wrong cut and combine or something. I used to do that and was over 200,000 but blew them out and now under 10,000 with double the storage that you have.
I don't get it though. Even if I had the 'right' settings which minimized the amount of clips, wouldn't the large size of the drive eventually accumulate over 200,000 clips anyway on a long enough timeframe? Otherwise what is the point of having a large drive?

Here is my cut and combine settings. I've got it set up to 24/7 recording in substream, and switch to mainstream for AI-verified alerts.
1680497283978.png
I also don't have any hi-res thumbnails generated with triggers, nor do I have 'use mainstream when available' in AI settings ticked.
1680497306854.png
How would you improve this? For reference, my 'new' folder contains 5674 files, and my Alerts folder contains 166683 files. How can this make sense when the DB status window says 'records: 331079'?

You also have the compact/repair unchecked - are you manually doing that on a frequent basis?
I disabled it recently when I realized the database kept getting corrupted as soon as the autocompact operated finished, requiring me to completely reconstruct the db every few days. Although this was under a previous version so I wonder if it's been addressed now.

Your alerts folder only needs to be 1GB unless you are storing frequent hi-rez images every few seconds LOL, but each one counts as a clip, this making your issue worse
I've now set it to 1GB however now the DB status says that the drive is overallocated. How is this possible if I'm decreasing the size and how can I fix it? Is it because the alerts folder is already more than 1GB? Would deleting its contents result in any adverse effects? I haven't changed anything else.
1680497535799.png
1680497508887.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have over 3 times the storage of you and my clips are under 10,000, so larger drives do not equate to over 200,000 clips.

A weird quirk with the Alerts folder is unless you are saving images there it will be blank, but all the thumbnails are stored there but you can't see the file. So with the large GB you had there, it has been storing thumbnails long after your video was deleted.

Best bet is to set it to 1 and then do a compact/repair and let BI blow out all those extra thumbnails.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have over 3 times the storage of you and my clips are under 10,000, so larger drives do not equate to over 200,000 clips.
Well my new folder which contains all my clips is only over 5000 items and comprises 90% of my allocated storage, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

So no suggestions as far as my cut/combine settings go?