5.8.6 - February 2, 2024

LJR_2019

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any particular reason this version would cause my blue iris to keep restarting cameras, use 100% CPU, report that my drives are "overallocated" when they are not, and not let me stop the blue iris service? Blue iris became totally unresponsive, I couldn't downgrade to a previous version in the settings, it wouldn't let me click anything, as it kept restarting cameras. I tried to stop the blue iris service, but it would tell me it failed to stop, and kept running. The only way I could get my blue iris working properly again was to set the service to 'disabled,' reboot, and install an older version. Then it was working fine again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any particular reason this version would cause my blue iris to keep restarting cameras, use 100% CPU, report that my drives are "overallocated" when they are not, and not let me stop the blue iris service? Blue iris became totally unresponsive, I couldn't downgrade to a previous version in the settings, it wouldn't let me click anything, as it kept restarting cameras. I tried to stop the blue iris service, but it would tell me it failed to stop, and kept running. The only way I could get my blue iris working properly again was to set the service to 'disabled,' reboot, and install an older version. Then it was working fine again.
Probably because its beta...report to support...this is what happens when beta testing...

LJR_2019

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably because its beta...report to support...this is what happens when beta testing...
How can you tell the difference between a beta version and an actual release in the blue iris upgrade menu? I didn't realize it was a beta test version.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you auto update, you are essentially doing beta releases. It is under the BI settings.

Only update when they add a feature you want or need or you have time to troubleshoot if it goes south.

You have an option to:
  • Remain with your current version - if it works, stay with it.
  • Install latest critical or highly stable update - that is the version that few had issues with.
  • Install latest update available - in most instances that is a beta version by default.

1707013314257.png

LJR_2019

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you auto update, you are essentially doing beta releases. It is under the BI settings.

Only update when they add a feature you want or need or you have time to troubleshoot if it goes south.

You have an option to:
  • Install latest critical or highly stable update - that is the version that few had issues with.
  • Install latest update available - in most instances that is a beta version by default.

View attachment 185136
Thanks, I will switch that setting. Never had a problem in the past couple years using latest update. That was weird.

Appreciate the response. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I should have embraced this theory, I'm a tech III in facility management and that's usually my motto.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will switch that setting. Never had a problem in the past couple years using latest update. That was weird. Appreciate the response.
Dont switch to that setting...update manually when you can confirm everything is working properly. There is a 100% chance you had issues before, critical issues where video was missed (not to mention no video is recorded during the update process) you just havent noticed it.

LJR_2019

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont switch to that setting...update manually when you can confirm everything is working properly. There is a 100% chance you had issues before, critical issues where video was missed (not to mention no video is recorded during the update process) you just havent noticed it.
Roger that.

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

You have an option to:

View attachment 185136
My advice: Check "Download Only". Then if you want, run the update manually. If it doesn't work for you, you can run an earlier update. Monitor this thread for indications that people are having trouble with an update.
As far as Critical or Stable is concerned, I have occasionally had issues with them as well.
So if it's working, I tend to stick with it.
For my use case, almost all that Ken is adding is of no value to me.
And it seems the help file lags the versions.
Screenshot_20240204-100019.jpg

Sent from my iPlay_50 using Tapatalk

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A new setting on status/log defines the age at which a log .txt should be deleted.
HEADS-UP - The 'Retain days' setting is 365 by default. You will immediately lose all older log files upon installing this update.

This includes any log files in sub-folders you may have created.

Until Ken replies on how to disable this feature, you can 'protect' older log files by setting their 'read-only' attribute.
This will result in logfile entries like the following. I just discovered this by luck.

EDIT: I've since entered a suitably large value (see the screenshot, 5 years).

1707071685694.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just received this reply from Ken regarding disabling the log folder pruning feature...

"For 5.8.6.3, you may now put 0 in that [Retain days] box."
Also received this reply to the question "Will the ‘Retain days’ setting now be disabled by default?".

"I will consider that. I believed 365 days to be beyond normal usage."
Current status...
  • the log folder pruning feature can now be disabled - but only AFTER updating, of course.
  • if you prefer to retain any of your old logfiles, the prudent action to take BEFORE updating would be to make them 'read-only', or copy them to another folder.

Last edited: