5 guys apprehended

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the video being so long. I usually try to edit these down to about three minutes. We picked these five guys as they started to break into our customer's storage lot. They were able to get into quite a bit before they noticed the cops surrounding the place. This lot is about 20 acres and has woods on three sides, so it was a challenge for the cops. Luckily, theses guys took their time. Once they noticed the cops, they ran for the woods. The cops had already set up a perimeter and were waiting on the chopper to assist. All five guys were caught. A couple of them were chewed up by the responding K-9 units. There were several K-9s on scene.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you see typically of the police arrival time after being notified.

This video appears it took them 30 minutes.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Usually about 4-8 minutes. The cops in this video were on site pretty quick, it just took a bunch of officers to set up the perimeter. They don't actually make way on to the property until every entrance and exit is coverd. I think there were 15-18 officers and 5 K-9 units on scene once these guys noticed them. We have had about 10 cases here in 2016. We caught them all but the responding officers did't catch them all. The cops have since learned that when we call in, they have a burglary in progress. As long as they know that the subjects are still on the property, and still on camera, they can take their time and set up.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you see typically of the police arrival time after being notified.

This video appears it took them 30 minutes.
They generally respond to commercial alarm calls faster than residential in my experience.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
They generally respond to commercial alarm calls faster than residential in my experience.
So what you are saying is that when you see thieves at your house on your phone, call the cops and tell them it's a big warehouse until they show up and then say no no I told the dispatcher it was a house. Whatever it takes, it's really sad that they prioritize one over another, I mean jesus H, businesses have insurance and can write things off, people's homes are not the same situation. Perhaps one day we can connect guns to the PTZ's and handle business ourselves.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably want to turn cameras off when it comes to popping caps into some scumbag. Be sure the bullets always enter the front of the body and if needed , drag the dead body onto your property with a weapon next to him. Dead man tell no tails.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably want to turn cameras off when it comes to popping caps into some scumbag. Be sure the bullets always enter the front of the body and if needed , drag the dead body onto your property with a weapon next to him. Dead man tell no tails.
EXACTLY. :D Sorry officer, the hard drive on my camera system filled up and didn't record anything at that time.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Alarm calls are one thing, a person calling about a break in that they are watching live is another. Here is a true fact: 99% of all alarm calls from a burglar alarm company, (adt. sonitrol, tyco etc..) to the police department are false.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
99% of all alarm calls from a burglar alarm company, (adt. sonitrol, tyco etc..) to the police department are false.
And so police don't respond to residential alarms going off. In Seattle, the PD has a policy to NOT respond, unless the alarm can be "confirmed". Eg: front door kicked in, sensor detects that. Then interior MD goes off, this confirms it's very likely not a false alarm. Nevertheless, the alarm company starts down the client's phone tree. Maybe a few calls later, when they reach the homeowner, wife, husband, etc, THEN they call the police.

@bababouy, your outfit (Night Hawk Monitoring) has well established cred with the police. When Night Hawk Monitoring calls them and say "I can see 5 guys on the property now", that's a) a "confirmed" burglary and b) from a credible source.

I'd like your opinion. Let's say I get a push notification to my phone, I do remote viewing, see the burglars on my property, and maybe breaking the door, etc.
1) If I were to call 911, do you think they'd take me seriously and dispatch officers?
2) Do 911 operators or the police need video to confirm the crime is truly in progress?
3) Does Night Hawk Monitoring provide a live feed? To help the police surround a 5 acre storage facility, for example?

Thanks,
Fastb

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
And so police don't respond to residential alarms going off. In Seattle, the PD has a policy to NOT respond, unless the alarm can be "confirmed". Eg: front door kicked in, sensor detects that. Then interior MD goes off, this confirms it's very likely not a false alarm. Nevertheless, the alarm company starts down the client's phone tree. Maybe a few calls later, when they reach the homeowner, wife, husband, etc, THEN they call the police.

@bababouy, your outfit (Night Hawk Monitoring) has well established cred with the police. When Night Hawk Monitoring calls them and say "I can see 5 guys on the property now", that's a) a "confirmed" burglary and b) from a credible source.

I'd like your opinion. Let's say I get a push notification to my phone, I do remote viewing, see the burglars on my property, and maybe breaking the door, etc.
1) If I were to call 911, do you think they'd take me seriously and dispatch officers?
2) Do 911 operators or the police need video to confirm the crime is truly in progress?
3) Does Night Hawk Monitoring provide a live feed? To help the police surround a 5 acre storage facility, for example?

Thanks,
Fastb
I would hope police would respond immediately if someone calls and says someone is breaking into my house and I can see it otherwise we need to fire them all for being a useless waste of tax dollars. that being said if I get a notification and see people on cam I will be speeding toward my house with a loaded firearm and they better hope they are gone before I get there, or the police beat me. I would also inform the police I am headed home and armed, dunno if that would speed them up or not.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
From my limited knowledge, if the cops know firearms are involved, the first cop car waits for a 2nd cop car.

I came home to two people in a car headed out, down my driveway. I parked to block their exit. Then called 911.
911: "Are they armed?"
Me: "I don't know". And being a wise guy, "should I go ask them?". And then "Should I get my gun?"

The first car took 10 minutes. He parked well down the driveway.
10 minutes later, the 2nd car arrived.
Only then did the 2 cops walk up the driveway.

So hmjgriffon, I don't know what would speed up the police response.....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
From my limited knowledge, if the cops know firearms are involved, the first cop car waits for a 2nd cop car.

I came home to two people in a car headed out, down my driveway. I parked to block their exit. Then called 911.
911: "Are they armed?"
Me: "I don't know". And being a wise guy, "should I go ask them?". And then "Should I get my gun?"

The first car took 10 minutes. He parked well down the driveway.
10 minutes later, the 2nd car arrived.
Only then did the 2 cops walk up the driveway.

So hmjgriffon, I don't know what would speed up the police response.....

So you sat there with criminals for 20 minutes waiting for a cop to get involved? Did you complain to the police chief? I would have gone to every media outlet that would hear me. Were you armed? No way in hell I'm sitting there for 20 minutes unless there are already bodies laying on the ground. In Florida once they break into the house, it's game over for them, castle doctrine, you might walk in but you're going out in a body bag if I have my way. That is horrendous though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you sat there with criminals for 20 minutes waiting for a cop to get involved? Did you complain to the police chief? I would have gone to every media outlet that would hear me. Were you armed? No way in hell I'm sitting there for 20 minutes unless there are already bodies laying on the ground. In Florida once they break into the house, it's game over for them, castle doctrine, you might walk in but you're going out in a body bag if I have my way. That is horrendous though.
There will always be delay and the honest law enforcement officers like David Clarke will tell you that and how to protect yourself. This CNN clip is the best since she askes dumb questions and destroyed by clarke.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks,
Fastb
1. Yes. When you call in, you need to remain calm and give the dispatcher facts. Who, what, where, and when.
2. Usually we give responding officers snap shots or a clip after the situation is under control. They usually need a verification that they got the right person(s).
3. Not in this case. We do set up a life feed when we are seeing things like drug and gang activity.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And so police don't respond to residential alarms going off. In Seattle, the PD has a policy to NOT respond, unless the alarm can be "confirmed". Eg: front door kicked in, sensor detects that. Then interior MD goes off, this confirms it's very likely not a false alarm...
You do have to be careful if your're away from home. If you're in a different city or county 911 will go to that municipality and could slow things down. This is a situation where while you certainly could normally call 911 you might be better off calling the dispatch number for your municipality. It depends on how good their inter-municipality communication is.

Lots of areas have cross zoning requirements and alarm permits to recoup/reduce false alarm costs. I think it's a good thing, but people need to understand how their alarm system works.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There will always be delay and the honest law enforcement officers like David Clarke will tell you that and how to protect yourself. This CNN clip is the best since she askes dumb questions and destroyed by clarke.
Correct, YOU are your first responder, cops cannot be everywhere at once, that is why I carry, everyday.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
hmjgriffon,

For the sake of brevity, and to add a little drama to make the point about responsiveness, I omitted a few details.
- My driveway is about 50 yards long. Due to woods and ravine, that's the only way for a vehicle to leave.
- When I drove up my driveway, and found the black mustang trying to drive down my driveway, I simply parked my car. They had no way out.
- This was a sunny Saturday, middle of the day.
- Minutes later, when I got to my house, there was no break-in. I shared that info with 911. Maybe that diminished the crime to "trespassing" from "burglary"

Now for the "my stupid" part.
- I walked up to the car and said "WTF you doing on my property?"
- I was unarmed. I had my 26 YO daughter with me.
- The car occupants appeared calm. They didn't exit the car. We had a few precious moments of looking at each other thru our windshields. They didn't seem dangerous. Borderline stupid, in hindsight.

I went to my house, and called 911 from the landline (not from my cell, while parked in the car)
I did put my shotgun by the front door, in reach.
The miscreants remained in their car.

So the whole event was more tame than my earlier (brief) descrip may have sounded.

But wait, there's more!

911 operator asked that I remain on the line.
Me: "There a police car at the bottom of the driveway, but he's not getting out/ What's up?"
911: "He's waiting for backup. It's "standard operating procedure"
Note: The 1st cop could see the car with the two miscreants sitting patiently inside.
When the 2nd cop arrived, the two of them walked up the driveway.

Since no "crime" other than trespassing had occurred, they let the "looky lous" leave. I guess people who want to see what's down a long driveway, and trespass, aren't criminals.

Wait, there's more!

The police asked what I wanted to do.
Me: "Maybe press charges for trespassing?"
Note: I live on 1.3 acres, and feel pretty possessive about my property.
Police: "That probably wouldn't stick"

But wait, there's more!
Police: "You shouldn't take it upon yourself to block people from leaving your property. That a job to leave to the police"

The cops statement was ludicrous! Their arrival took 20 minutes!
Me: "But they'd have been long gone!"
Cops: "Get their plate number, and let us handle it"
Cops: "Don't do that again. You're not law enforcement. That's our job, not yours."

We've all had that moment where you don't know what to say. And later, with hindsight, you think of what "I shoulda said". I have at least a dozen replies/rebuttals now. Too late. Besides, cops aren't open to that kind of conversation.

My takeaway is the police DO NOT see a priority in protecting the property of citizens. (personal property like belonging or like a home). ie: Catching criminals, and prosecuting them, is their job one. Protecting our property is not. That's the job of insurance. (my conclusion based on their behavior, response times, and their messaging. From multiple interactions)

Conclusions:
- This is why my camera system, for self monitoring, is important.
- And my camera system could give me more protection than my alarm monitoring service.
- And why I asked bababuoy about what kind of 911 response might happen if "Harry Homeowner" call 911 about a burglary in process.

Let me ask you readers some challenging questions:
- Do you use your camera security to see what happened After The Fact?
- Or do use push notifications, emails, etc with the intent to have the police show up and Stop a Burglary in Process and Catch the Burglars?
- And the extra credit follow-up question;
"Do you expect to call 911 and get a quick response?" (I envy the police responses we've seen in bababuoy's videos)

Sorry for the long post,
Fastb

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
hmjgriffon,

For the sake of brevity, and to add a little drama to make the point about responsiveness, I omitted a few details.
- My driveway is about 50 yards long. Due to woods and ravine, that's the only way for a vehicle to leave.
- When I drove up my driveway, and found the black mustang trying to drive down my driveway, I simply parked my car. They had no way out.
- This was a sunny Saturday, middle of the day.
- Minutes later, when I got to my house, there was no break-in. I shared that info with 911. Maybe that diminished the crime to "trespassing" from "burglary"

Now for the "my stupid" part.
- I walked up to the car and said "WTF you doing on my property?"
- I was unarmed. I had my 26 YO daughter with me.
- The car occupants appeared calm. They didn't exit the car. We had a few precious moments of looking at each other thru our windshields. They didn't seem dangerous. Borderline stupid, in hindsight.

I went to my house, and called 911 from the landline (not from my cell, while parked in the car)
I did put my shotgun by the front door, in reach.
The miscreants remained in their car.

So the whole event was more tame than my earlier (brief) descrip may have sounded.

But wait, there's more!

911 operator asked that I remain on the line.
Me: "There a police car at the bottom of the driveway, but he's not getting out/ What's up?"
911: "He's waiting for backup. It's "standard operating procedure"
Note: The 1st cop could see the car with the two miscreants sitting patiently inside.
When the 2nd cop arrived, the two of them walked up the driveway.

Since no "crime" other than trespassing had occurred, they let the "looky lous" leave. I guess people who want to see what's down a long driveway, and trespass, aren't criminals.

Wait, there's more!

The police asked what I wanted to do.
Me: "Maybe press charges for trespassing?"
Note: I live on 1.3 acres, and feel pretty possessive about my property.
Police: "That probably wouldn't stick"

But wait, there's more!
Police: "You shouldn't take it upon yourself to block people from leaving your property. That a job to leave to the police"

The cops statement was ludicrous! Their arrival took 20 minutes!
Me: "But they'd have been long gone!"
Cops: "Get their plate number, and let us handle it"
Cops: "Don't do that again. You're not law enforcement. That's our job, not yours."

We've all had that moment where you don't know what to say. And later, with hindsight, you think of what "I shoulda said" I have at least a dozen replies/rebuttals now. Too late. Besides, cops aren't open to that kind of conversation.

My takeaway is the police DO NOT see a priority in protecting the property of citizens. (personal property like belonging or like a home). ie: Catching criminals, and prosecuting them, is their job one. Protecting our property is not. That's the job of insurance. (my conclusion based on their behavior, response times, and their messaging. From multiple interactions)

Conclusions:
- This is why my camera system, for self monitoring, is important.
- And my camera system could give me more protection than my alarm monitoring service.
- And why I asked bababuoy about what kind of 911 response might happen if "Harry Homeowner" call 911 about a burglary in process.

Let me ask you readers a challenging question:
- Or do use push notifications, emails, etc with the intent to have the police show up and Stop a Burglary in Process?
- And the extra credit follow-up question; "Do you expect to call 911 and get a quick response?" (I envy the police responses we've seen in bababuoy's videos)

Sorry for the long post,
Fastb

I use my cameras to alert me the moment something starts happening, my response will be, call police and immediately start heading to my house, also I have a friend who lives about a mile away I would possibly call from my other phone, I carry a work phone and a company phone. The crap thing is false alarms from motion detection but i'd rather have false alarms and catch the one that is the real deal. I am very paranoid since I was burglarized, only time in my life and hopefully it stays that way. I like to be able to periodically check my cameras to make sure everything is okay, it gives me piece of mind. In my city I am not holding my breathe for a quick response but I hope I get one of course. I will call the police regardless so that MAYBE they get there before I do so the thieves have less time to go through my stuff and take things. Being burglarized gave thieves a special place in my little black heart, I hate them more than anything on earth, I was pretty traumatized, violated, after that I got dogs, security cameras, and started carrying a firearm everywhere I go.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me ask you readers a challenging question:
- Or do use push notifications, emails, etc with the intent to have the police show up and Stop a Burglary in Process?
- And the extra credit follow-up question; "Do you expect to call 911 and get a quick response?" (I envy the police responses we've seen in bababuoy's videos)

1- Yes because I don't get every alert at the moment it happens because I don't have my iPhone hard-wired into my ear 24/7
2- Yes again but see #1 above
3- Actually in my neighborhood yes. I've had the occasion 3-4 times in the past 10 years to call 911 and each time OCSO has responded in amazingly short times (2-4 minutes). When I called about discovering a break-in to my home at 4pm one weekday in 2012 and that I had heard a noise like a slamming gate out back, I had no fewer than 3 Sheriff Dept vehicles out front in less than 3 minutes, and six in a few more. I did advise the dispatcher that I had gone into the house and discovered firearms stolen, and that I was in the driveway behind my vehicle armed and covering the front of the house. That lent a sense of urgency with the LEO response I believe. (Security system, video surveillance, safe, and other passive and active measure have been upgraded/installed since.)

Generally if I call about a possible burglary in progress, OSCO is going to get there pretty quick. If my alarm system is activated and there is nobody at home, the Alarm company generally calls over the two-way into the house via speaker in 14-17 seconds, and without a valid reply from me in another 10-15 seconds, they call it into OCSO who treats it as a "verified" alarm.

In the situation above with a daughter in tow, no way I'm approaching the BG vehicle armed or not (I'm armed 24/7 if outside my house with pants on), and would only do the blocking thing if armed and had a reasonably good retreat path.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hate them more than anything on earth, I was pretty traumatized, violated,
That's better than being dead.

You seem like a nice fellow and I like your posts here. But I wonder if you have a ccw? I would think you would benefit from a proper firearms training class. Some of your comments are not wise. God forbid you are ever involved in a shooting. And if you are, the opposition attorney will quite possibly see your comments here as to your "mindset" and your life will be changed forever. You're not Rambo, my friend. Perhaps take a step back and learn about true self defense. Rushing head in is a bad tactic and will get someone hurt. Probably you. Believe it or not, there are tougher guys than you in the world. And even the weaker ones have great lawyers.

Respectfully.

Nolo Contendere

Last edited: