5 guys apprehended

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm thinking one of the worst places to get legal advice is a camera forum.

That said, here's mine! In most states a misdemeanor must occur in the presence of the officer. So the deputy is probably correct.

Trespass can be criminal but that requires intent, again varies state to state. But if I cross your lawn on the way to my car, I have technically treapassed but it isn't a criminal violation. The guys in this OP, pretty clearly were criminal trespass as they obviously had intent to steal.

Might be best to have a neighbor or your gardner pick up the leaflets when you are out of town.

I'm heading back to my "safe space".

No doubt that po-pos are not lawyers. Coupled with their (general) inability to say "I don't know", that means you'll get a very confident-sounding opinion that you dare not challenge (at least not on the side of the road), which may very likely be wrong.

Unfortunately, it would appear my state's attorney's office wants questions like this to go through the sheriff's office. I'll see what else I can come up with.

As for having a neighbor other others pick up on my behalf - that's exactly what I'm doing now. From a practical standpoint, burdening my neighbors to check my door on a regular basis is not ideal. My landscaper is not here frequently enough, nor is that part of their normal routine. From a principle standpoint, I am being burdened, and my property is put at risk due to the illegal behavior of others.

Imagine if neighbors randomly tossed their empty McDonalds cups, bags, and fry boxes in your yard. Written on each piece of garbage is the offenders' home address. Imagine if I called them asking them to stop and they told me to piss off - and continued to litter my yard. Sure, I could just shrug it off and continue to clean up after them... Or, I could call the Sheriff and ask them to enforce the law.

From my perspective the 'litter' from local businesses left on my door step is worse - since it increases my risk of robbery while out of town.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you, but if I were your neighbor and knew you were out of town I wouldn't actually check your door often. When fliers show up on my door I'd go pull them off yours, decreases the burden significantly.