5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I should add "zero benefits to non-smart IR in a fixed camera". Onboard can have benefits in a few cases.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I should add "zero benefits to non-smart IR in a fixed camera". Onboard can have benefits in a few cases.
Ive considered using a seperate IR Illuminator but found so many out there with good reviews and bad. I dont mind spending money but dont want to buy el crapo.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Del Boy only buys pretty things. I wonder what car he drives. It must be beautiful! :)

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lol! It isnt high prioriry to me as mine will be at the peak of the house and not in direct view. Functionality is most important to me.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you have to order the POE box separate? I ordered one and specs say its optional?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately mine started acting up now after almost 6 month of usage. It simply looses connection after about couple of hours, I have tried the usual restarting/rebooting/resetting, different switches and everything else I could imagine. I suspect it's POE. It's inside the box and we had hot summer days. I've opened up the holes and could feel it's really hot in there. Still need to confirm whether this an issue, but keep that in mind in case you are mounting it inside the box like I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately mine started acting up now after almost 6 month of usage. It simply looses connection after about couple of hours, I have tried the usual restarting/rebooting/resetting, different switches and everything else I could imagine. I suspect it's POE. It's inside the box and we had hot summer days. I've opened up the holes and could feel it's really hot in there. Still need to confirm whether this an issue, but keep that in mind in case you are mounting it inside the box like I do.
Check the connections inside. I had a cheapo where somehow the connection came off a little. Easy to click out and back in with a little clean in-between. (Free except time so worth trying).

DMY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The PoE modules get hot in cool ambient temps. Worries me a little about mounting them where I planned.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I opened up holes at the bottom of that box and let it cool overnight, we'll see how it goes. Camera is working now.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@klasipca, you might want to turn the box around seeing how heat rises. Maybe 1 hole in bottom. I have mine up in the soffit so I'm hoping it stays cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It was just a quick fix without getting ladder out. I might have to move POE out of the box completely.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Without the ladder? You must have gorilla arms or a very long bit on the drill, LOL :cool:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just realizing the camera I ordered is meant for a wall. I wanted to mount it on the bottom of a soffit. Do you guys think mounting it inverted will work? Im assuming I can configure a 180 degree flip in either the camera software or Blue Iris.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
should be ok mounted under a soffit, as long as the soffit is horizontal and not angling down as it comes out,
AND you intend to aim it out and/or down from where you mount it, not UP...

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great! It is a horizontal soffit that is 25 feet above the ground and its view is about 45 degrees below horizontal. Wiping my brow now. I definitely need to pay better attention to details next time.