5442 is impressive is there anything better?

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After Flintstone61 suggested this camera and after some fine tuning it's amazing! but it leads me to wonder if there is anything better out there in the turret style cameras?

My guess is no if i want to stay with IR.

Thanks again!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And there are more than this one, now. Unfortunately, due to chip shortages they're hard to get -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After Flintstone61 suggested this camera and after some fine tuning it's amazing! but it leads me to wonder if there is anything better out there in the turret style cameras?

My guess is no if i want to stay with IR.

Thanks again!
Which 5442 did you get? I have the T5442T-ZE (varifocal) - a bit disappointed in the image quality - seems way oversharpened. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a 4MP image, or maybe the varifocal isn't as good as the fixed lens version. I've dialled the sharpness way down but it is still too "crispy" to me.

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which 5442 did you get? I have the T5442T-ZE (varifocal) - a bit disappointed in the image quality - seems way oversharpened. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a 4MP image, or maybe the varifocal isn't as good as the fixed lens version. I've dialled the sharpness way down but it is still too "crispy" to me.
The fixed lens, it took a while to get the image right at first i was not happy.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was more concerned with night time outdoor video than day time. most camera's "see" stuff during the day more or less. The low light " staying in Color" was what I was after. If I get a Plate, with the LPR cam, I also want a color and possible make of the vehicle. that what I'm using the 5442 2.8 mm for. strictly to show me what is coming in the property at night. Everybody seems to be behaving ( for the most part) during the day. It's night time where i get the Catalytic Converter thieves, and door checkers, and Coyotes, and wandering homeless people. I can tune the over sharpened day time image down, but it's looking towards the Sunrise, and the shadows change thoughout the day, So i'm not trying too hard with day time settings. All I need is the UPS, Amazon, Vendors, repairmen, etc driving on the lot at day time.
I have motion every minute of every day. so I don't have the luxury of fiddling with settings too much on cameras.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I did buy a 6mm AS LED version of the 5442 turret. i can catch plates with it so I turned it from an overview cam to a Plate catcher out back. It's 12 feet high looking down on a tight left turn in the parking lot. I get every plate that passes in the frame. So now I need to get an overview cam out there. the Color camera is the Loryta IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP Starlight WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera Motorized Vari-Focal 2.7mm–13.5mm. on a 1/5250 or 1/500 shutter I believe. been trying different settings then watching it for a few days.
These clowns cut the back 1/2 of the Catalytic converter off the Kia parked extreme right. they couldn't get the front cut due to some bracket. I have since aimed the camera more to the right.

Cam10.20210927_104042623.7.jpgCam11.20210927_093701097.5.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These clowns cut the back 1/2 of the Catalytic converter off the Kia parked extreme right. they couldn't get the front cut due to some bracket. I have since aimed the camera more to the right.

View attachment 103446View attachment 103447

So a Catalytic converter thief hired a lyft for the job?

Man, normally in the bank robbery movies they work through their crime world or family connections to get a driver. Guess it's good to see an app for that ..

1633145726810.png

1633145871481.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I was more concerned with night time outdoor video than day time. most camera's "see" stuff during the day more or less. The low light " staying in Color" was what I was after. If I get a Plate, with the LPR cam, I also want a color and possible make of the vehicle. that what I'm using the 5442 2.8 mm for. strictly to show me what is coming in the property at night. Everybody seems to be behaving ( for the most part) during the day. It's night time where i get the Catalytic Converter thieves, and door checkers, and Coyotes, and wandering homeless people. I can tune the over sharpened day time image down, but it's looking towards the Sunrise, and the shadows change thoughout the day, So i'm not trying too hard with day time settings. All I need is the UPS, Amazon, Vendors, repairmen, etc driving on the lot at day time.
I have motion every minute of every day. so I don't have the luxury of fiddling with settings too much on cameras.

Research has shown that identification and recognition is much higher with full colour than with b&w. Can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure it was at least twice as high.

Aren't the 5849T Dahua and DS-2CD2087G2-L / LU Hik better than the 5224 for colour at night? I was under the impression they were with the 5442 being the king of IR & B&W.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Takes two or more camera to get better identification, you can't do it all with one camera at night. if you intend on capturing plates, you have the color camera viewing the same vehicle/area. whatever research that was.... my research has shown that color at night is blurred in fast motion. And you can't run the dahua 5442 at 1/2000 in color in the dark and hope to catch a plate unless your in a baseball stadium with 1000 lights on. I got the color, model Honda Civic, 2016-1019 Silver/blue, plate, Number of occupants, clothing description of 1 guys, all on other video that I'm not loading up here. All turned in to the Cty Sheriff. your research may vary.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
theres a 5442 overview cam in 2.8mm. not expecting much from it other than what type of vehicle, color etc. the 5241 z12e, however, is recording the plate. takes two at night, or more.

Attachments

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
hmm?!

On ZE you have two options... manual focus and software sharpness. what did you turn down ?

I never heard someone complaining about sharpness. Varifocal have superior sharpness because you can adjust the focus.

Last edited:

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm?!

On ZE you have two options... manual focus and software sharpness. what did you turn down ?

I never heard someone complaining about sharpness. Varifocal have superior sharpness because you can adjust the focus.
I got it to autofocus. I can't better the autofocus, or haven't tried hard enough. What I'm finding is that the image appears to be oversharpened hence I dialled down the "sharpness" setting in the Conditions -> Picture -> Sharpness

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I got it to autofocus. I can't better the autofocus, or haven't tried hard enough. What I'm finding is that the image appears to be oversharpened hence I dialled down the "sharpness" setting in the Conditions -> Picture -> Sharpness
can you post a picture ?
on what screen are you looking?

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I posted more details here Help: How can I improve my camera settings? IPC-T5442T-ZE

The snapshot was taken while looking at blueiris' main stream, using blueiris' snapshot feature, not by taking an actual screenshot, so there should be no scaling involved. It is about the same quality as looking at the camera's web interface -> Live.
for me the image looks sharpless..

you have turned down 3d/2d noise reduction alot. what you see is normal noise result. nothing to do with sharpness of the camera.
in my opinion blc will also increase the problem of noise... if you turn on wdr it should be less noisy.

all in all i suggest you to reset to default and start from scratch.

Last edited:

MrRodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And there are more than this one, now. Unfortunately, due to chip shortages they're hard to get -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera
So this is the only one better than the 5442?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a turret version coming soon. Hikvision has an equivalent. There are other turrets and bullets out in initial field testing. All are 8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor. Getting those sensors right now is a BIG problem.

If you have a really big budget there are lots of better ones, but they're in the $2000 price range from what I've seen, box camera, lens and enclosure required.

Last edited: