7 Dahau cameras lost connectivity

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well when all 7 devices appear to fail, one looks for the common point. And the power supply is one of those.(They were all plugged in to the same switch). I would assume all your tests to date have been using poe so it can't hurt. Sometimes a camera can have a fried poe input and come back up on the 12vdc.

The 12vdc bricks are pretty common as lots of consumer stuff uses them like the old linksys routers. You might have one lying around.

Also don't "talk" yourself out of troubleshooting by making assumptions. I've screwed myself many times by not checking the obvious.

Best of luck as this is quite an investment you have there.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good points. I'll see if I can find one. But my issue is that I need these to work over POE as I don't have power available in the places where the cameras reside.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well if it woks, there are options. Devices called "poe splitters". Little box that converts the poe to 12vdc. About $11.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if I have a 12volt brick that has a plug that fits but is rated at 1.25amps and the camera states it needs 12v. 0.5a. Will the camera only draw the amount of amps it needs?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah you can use a bigger power brick than needed, camera only uses what it needs..

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok will try it, @nayr do you think perhaps the firmware is corrupt? if I can power it up with brick, I can't connect camera directly to my laptop and try reloading firmware through boot loader? but I'm skeptical because how could this have happened to 7 cameras and 2 different models in those 7?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, there is only one writable partition and thats the config partition.. holding reset button clears that out, and your getting pings so its booting.. the only way your firmware is corrupt is if you got infected with the brickerbot and that directly wrote to the nand

the only times ive had to do firmware restores is on failed firmware upgrades; they dont just fail later.. its never writing to most of the flash unless your updating.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr so the power brick exhibits the same behavior as when plugged in via poe, so its definitely not the power. I held the reset button and when it boots up it presents me with the login page. I login as admin/admin and it prompts me to reset pw. I reset pw, but then when I need to finally login with my newly created password it states login failed even though I know its correct.

Also, this can't be brickerbot because I changed the default password and my password was pretty complex. Not to mention the cameras were not directly exposed to the internet. Only via BI STUNNEL. Could a power surge have caused this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just hit cancel on pw change and leave it default for now, clear all yer browser caches

brickerbot dont give a fuck bout your password, it bypasses all authentication... stunnel gives you no protection from BlueIris issues, just keeps ppl from sniffing your credentials remotely.. only those of us using VPN actually have any security for remote access.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go look at the video footage from just before they went dead...storm? lightening?
There is no way this is firmware related..

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nothing in the saved clips, I only recorded on triggers. However @nayr I pushed cancel and dirt let me into the Wed Admin page for like 10 seconds. But then again became unresponsive. So something is working but I don't have enough time to do anything. Any ideas? Am I totally hosed with all my cameras?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't have upnp enabled on the cameras (or have port forwarding turned on) do you? Someone else with weird problems did and it turned out crap from the Internet was bombarding his camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
nothing in the saved clips, I only recorded on triggers. However @nayr I pushed cancel and dirt let me into the Wed Admin page for like 10 seconds. But then again became unresponsive. So something is working but I don't have enough time to do anything. Any ideas? Am I totally hosed with all my cameras?
yes but was it raining that day before the outage?
can the old switch still power any poe device?
BV-tech is a no name brand...who knows..

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no rain, BV-Tech was able to power on other devices and pass data. no upnp turned on the cameras. I guess I'm just looking at options now. Is there any black magic to fix this or do some crazy troubleshooting to see if I can save this or are these now expensive paperweights?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
just hit cancel on pw change and leave it default for now, clear all yer browser caches

brickerbot dont give a fuck bout your password, it bypasses all authentication... stunnel gives you no protection from BlueIris issues, just keeps ppl from sniffing your credentials remotely.. only those of us using VPN actually have any security for remote access.
so you are saying stunnel doesn't give any security? it's strong SSL encryption, no worse than VPN.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so you are saying stunnel doesn't give any security? it's strong SSL encryption, no worse than VPN.
SSL just encrypts our data in transit, your BlueIris server is still being exposed to the internet... malware is happy to use https connections to execute a security vulnerability and hack into your BI Server... Your Stunnel will very happily let anyone anywhere establish a HTTPS connection to it; your VPN Server wont let anyone make a VPN Connection without proper credentials and the VPN Server is the only thing exposed; and its been designed for that exposure.

Strong SSL Encryption just protects the data between your browser and your service; all it does is keep people from snooping on your connection.. it does absolutely nothing to Make BlueIris more secure from attacks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
uPNP is a feature you need to disable on your router, not your cameras..

Sonia is the main process running on the cameras, it provides the WebUI.. its supposed to trigger a watchdog timer and auto reboot if it fails to start or it crashes; but given your able to connect to the WebUI and login its clear Sonia is still running so it dont seem much at all like its the watchdog timer going off.. Usually when in a bootloop reboot like this the WebUI wont ever become available.

If I were you I'd take a camera down, plug it directly into a PC with a short prefab ethernet cable and then try to power it up with a 12vdc power brick..

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr I did power it directly via 12v and pre fab cable and no change. Same behavior where it reboots. So it let's me into the web ui but just for a minute and not enough time to make changes.