7608 NVR finding only one of 8 cameras

Reaction score
I have a New 7608 Nvr (v3.0.10 firmware) and 8 2132 cameras (flashed at the vendor with v5.2.0 English firmware was originally 5.2.8). The NVR recognizes just one of the cameras. The only difference between it and the others is that it has a 4mm lens. The rest have 2.8mm lenses. It may be a coincidence but the 4mm was the 1st camera I connected. I've tried resetting one of them and changing the ip addresses but I am at a complete loss as to what is going on. The cameras are all 192.168.254.xx ip addresses in the NVR Camera setup page. The one that does work quits working if I change it to the same 192.168.1.xx configuration as the nvr or the rest of the network. Could someone possibly help me on this by explaining, in detail, how you got yours to work? I've followed the manuals to the letter to no avail. The last thing I want to start doing is flashing firmware. From what I have read the firmware combination that I have on the NVR and cameras is pretty good. Its very aggravating to see a grand worth of surveillance sitting in the floor doing nothing while the hooligans I am trying to catch continue to make mischief.......

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like your 7608 has PoE ports - though you haven't said.
And I suspect that the 192.168.254.xxx addresses on the NVR web admin are the addresses of the PoE ports - not the cameras.
My suggestion, should you wish to try it:

Install SADP - an excellent tool.
Connect one of the problematic cameras to your normal LAN.
Assume SADP can see it - surprising if it can't - set the IP address to an unused one on your 192.168.1.xxx range. Ensure the admin password is at the default 12345.
On the NVR, ensure the port you're going to try is set to 'Plug and Play'.
Connect the camera to the port, wait 2 or 3 mins, check in Live View for the camera appearance.
I'm pretty sure that will work.
An alternative approach if not - use SADP to set the camera to the same IP address as the NVR PoE port you are going to test. Set the NVR PoE port to 'Manual' and connect the camera.

Possible reasons why not:
Hikvision imposed regional restrictions in SADP and new cameras.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An alternative alternative approach

The learning curve can be steep... the more you try to learn at the same time only makes the curve steeper.

1. Put the nvr back in the box

2. Power one of the 2.8mm cams with a 12v psu and connect it to your network

3. Use the 'SADP' tool on your pc and alter the cam to an address in your 192.168.1.xx range

4. Connect to your camera using your web browser, install the plug in as required, and then go through the menu screens and adjust the settings as you need, and with your router as the gateway address and so on.

5. If all is well, and you have another 12v psu then do the same with the 4mm.

6. Post back and let us know that all is ok so far.

Reaction score
When you say "normal lan" do you mean plug it into the router? That question is probably pretty indicative of my knowledge of these things. I've built many high end pc's and usually like this kind of challenge but this is just frustrating at best. Oh and yes all 8 ports are powered. I have SADP installed

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, plug the camera into the router. And I, unlike DaveP, forgot to mention that you'll need to use a separate 12v power supply for the camera when it's not on a PoE port on the NVR.

Reaction score
Yes, plug the camera into the router. And I, unlike DaveP, forgot to mention that you'll need to use a separate 12v power supply for the camera when it's not on a PoE port on the NVR.
Will any 12v ps work if the plug fits or do I have to order a specific one?

Reaction score
12v DC, ideally rated ay 1A or more. In practice the camera will take under 0.5A even with IR on.
I have several laying around that are rated anywhere from 2.5 to 5 amp output. Are those values too high or does the camera just draw the voltage it needs? In other words if I use one of these do I run the chance of damaging the camera with over voltage?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Provided the power supply still supplies 12v DC when only lightly loaded, which it should if its a modern, switch-mode regulated power supply, not an old one with a big heavy mains transformer all should be fine.
The camera will just draw the current it needs.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera will just draw the current it needs.
Remember what Alastair says.... it will be a question in the exam :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Remember what Alastair says.... it will be a question in the exam :)
I have done what you have recommended short of changing the ip on my computer. That is something that is coming next I guess. Here is what I sent the vendor in regards to this situation. Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I could have swore we had it with the isolation of power, network and camera......

The NVR came up fine and the 4mm camera did as well. Absolutely nothing with the other 6 cameras. I went as far as to bypass and disconnect the NVR altogether
and connect the camera directly to the router and powered it with a separate power adapter. The 4mm came up and disappeared in SADP. With much patience I got it
to come up once more just long enough to change the ip address to the 198.168.1.xxx configuration. It then promptly disappeared again. I can access it on the pc
with the new ip but SADP refuses to see it. The other cameras power up when plugged in to power and network. The green light flashes and the ir's come on but SADP or 4200 refuses to see it.
I can see it in my router's settings but nowhere else. I have pushed the reset on one of the 2.8mm's to see if that would affect anything. It had no effect.
I connected another without the reset and it had no effect either. I am getting absolutely nothing but blinking lights and it is becoming increasingly frustrating.
It is impossible to change the IP addresses on these cameras if the software or the NVR refuses to see them. We need to get this resolved somehow because I am running out of time and patience.
Any prompt and useful advice to mitigate this situation would be extremely appreciated.

Reaction score
Another thing. The 4mm camera that has been coming up all along and allowed me to change its ip to one in my domain originally had 192.168.254.15 Ip address. I think the NVR assigned that particular ip to the camera yesterday. I have used angryip to scan all the ips in the native 192.168.1.xx range and everything connected to the network came up including an ip address for the hikvision camera. I tried to access that address and it timed out and would not let me. It looks like perhaps the network may be assigning a proper ip address to the camera although it isnt the one embedded in its brain. That is probably why I cannot access it. I also scanned 190.0.0.xx and 192.168.254.xx ranges with no results whatsoever. I also tried connecting the camera to my pc but could not see anything related to it. I used the arp -a -v command line function to verify all ip addresses in use and the ip associated with the camera was there as well. Cannot access in ie or firefox. Is there any way to access the camera via an ethernet cable plugged directly into the pc outside of the network? Like I said before I tried that too but could not access the camera or anything about what was connected to the port. The vendor basically stated what y'all have said with less detail. They are assuming the network software is seeing the camera. I assured them it was not. If I had any more hair left......it would be gone.

Reaction score
Here is something rather interesting that probably will help. If I am reading the results of a Wireshark scan correctly it appears the camera I have hooked up at the moment, that SADP is not seeing, has an IP address of either 192.168.0.64 or 192.168.0.128. Here is one of the packets. There were several of the same type:

202 67.460595000 Hangzhou_fe:29:72 Broadcast ARP 64 Who has 192.0.0.128? Tell 192.0.0.64 [ETHERNET FRAME CHECK SEQUENCE INCORRECT]

So, I guess if someone could tell me in detail how to access those locations I would be extremely grateful. Will I have to reconfigure my entire network to do it or can I just do it locally on one machine and plug the camera into an ethernet port or something? Would sure be nice if SADP would have picked it up.......

Reaction score
The camera nvr problem is solved. I'm sending them back. When I finally exhausted my last few options I called it quits. I turned off all firewalls and virus protection on router and pc, plugged the camera straight into 2 different routers, plugged them straight into the pc, changed router subnets to 192.0.0.xx, 192.168.254.xx, 192.168.1.xx, and 192.168.0.xx with internet on and internet off. Downloaded different versions of sadp. Nothing I did made the cameras viewable over the network. If I powered down the camera and brought them back up and quickly ran angryip the ip address of the camera was visible.....but just for a few seconds then it went away. Same in the router. SADP NEVER SAW THEM even when I matched the router subnet to the cameras. Very frustrating. I'm not stupid but this little adventure sure made me feel that way.....

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 3mp 7 camera nvr setup under 1000 dollars? Preferably from a US vendor........

Oh! and thanks once again to all the folks that offered suggestions!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm press the reset button on your cameras (i think only newer batch has this though, not sure about yours) to reset back to default settings (even if you can't detect it on SADP), it should go back to 192.0.0.64, then plug-in all your cameras into the NVR then Default the NVR, it should try to reassign IP to all the cameras to 192.168.254.x.

I had issues with SADP as well, especially on computers that has other VMS installed...have you got another computer to try?

The Machine default option is under Configuration->Maintence

also make sure your POE setting is set to 'Plug and Play' and not Manual....this setting is hidden in the Camera menu .

Edit: also give this sticky a read, it tells you how to access cameras behind NVR with POE.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE

Last edited: