(8MP) IPC-HFW1831E Review

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The only firmware I have access to is the one @EMPIRETECANDY posted here: IPC-HFW1831E New Firmware DH_IPC-HX2(1)XXX-Sag_EngSpnFrn_NP_V2.622.0000000.8.R.180731.bin

I suggest trying out the H.265 and lowering the frame rate until you get some acceptable quality. I'm running mine on H.265 @ 8192kbps (because even if you set a custom bitrate, whenever the camera reboots, or loses power, it reverts to the bitrate given in the spec. sheet. This is true even of the Pro/Eco-Savvy cameras like 5231R-ZE, 4231EM-ASE, 4830EM-AS, 5831R-ZE, etc.)

To be honest, I'm not noticing a huge difference between the higher bitrate image quality and the lower bitrate (albeit at dramatically low fps). I ran my tests @ 7fps for H.265 and 3fps for H.264H. This isn't ideal, but if you're just trying to ID a car or person, it works.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@wopi82 You might try enabling the "ROI" (region of interest) and drawing one rectangle over the entire video frame and set it to max quality. This drastically increases the effective bit rate of my IPC-HFW4239T-ASE.

Truthinadv

n3wb
Reaction score
@wopi82 and @Burton_Flooring

How are you liking the IPC1831e?

I read your reviews and am intrigued. I really appreciate the time you took to review these cameras and post your resutls.

Since I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a system for my house, I am very interested in your feedback.

My goals
1) Know if someone has enter my yard
2) If it is night time and someone entered my yard, potentially trigger some lights and/or speaker
3) If someone comes to my front door and takes a package to be able to identify them
4) If someone tries to break in (or they do break in) to be able to identify them
5) Separate project - track licenses plates via a dedicated camera to help with identification

I get that higher MP cameras traditionally don't work well at night. So if you can't see anything, megapixels don't matter. Based on my lot/home I'd like to have a relatively sharp image at 30ft which is the distance from my door to the sidewalk.

Using the IPVM calculator, I can accomplish this (a 76 ppf image at 30ft) with the highly recommended 2MP Starlight camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z with a 45 degree FOV. But with the 8MP on the HFW1831e with a 4mm fixed lens i get an 80 degree field with the same 76 ppf.

A larger FOV seems like it would be easier to work with and would require fewer cameras. Plus the HFW1831e is a little cheaper (but a fixed mount lens)

I plan on placing my cameras at the roof line, behind the gutters, which is 10 feet high - I hope this is not too high for identification goals

Since I am a newbie, I do have some doubts /questions

1) Is HFW1831e too new and really unproven?
2) Are there still too many firmware issues?
3) Is the Bit Rate really an issue?
4) Its not a turret so will spiders really be an issue, will it be super hard to aim?
5) The mini bullet size is appealing (unlike the full bullet which is huge) - I'd want to mount this to roof, not the wall - I assume I can angle the mount 90 degrees to make that work.
5) Its not a variable-focus lens (which seem to be highly recommended) but for my 30 foot viewing distance seems like a reasonable good FOV at 80 degrees.
6) What features am I missing out on becuase this is a LITE vs ECO-Savvy Pro camera?

I'd be running this on Blue Iris per the forums/Wiki recommendations.

Should I wait another few weeks (or longer) for more results on the HFW1831e?

Am I falling victim to 8MP specifications or is the HFW1831e a good purchase?

Thanks

TruthInAdv

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I read your reviews and am intrigued. I really appreciate the time you took to review these cameras and post your resutls.

Since I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a system for my house, I am very interested in your feedback.

My goals
2) If it is night time and someone entered my yard, potentially trigger some lights and/or speaker
3) If someone comes to my front door and takes a package to be able to identify them
4) If someone tries to break in (or they do break in) to be able to identify them
5) Separate project - track licenses plates via a dedicated camera to help with identification

I get that higher MP cameras traditionally don't work well at night. So if you can't see anything, megapixels don't matter. Based on my lot/home I'd like to have a relatively sharp image at 30ft which is the distance from my door to the sidewalk.

Using the IPVM calculator, I can accomplish this (a 76 ppf image at 30ft) with the highly recommended 2MP Starlight camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z with a 45 degree FOV. But with the 8MP on the HFW1831e with a 4mm fixed lens i get an 80 degree field with the same 76 ppf.

A larger FOV seems like it would be easier to work with and would require fewer cameras. Plus the HFW1831e is a little cheaper (but a fixed mount lens)

I plan on placing my cameras at the roof line, behind the gutters, which is 10 feet high - I hope this is not too high for identification goals

4) Its not a turret so will spiders really be an issue, will it be super hard to aim?
5) The mini bullet size is appealing (unlike the full bullet which is huge) - I'd want to mount this to roof, not the wall - I assume I can angle the mount 90 degrees to make that work.
5) Its not a variable-focus lens (which seem to be highly recommended) but for my 30 foot viewing distance seems like a reasonable good FOV at 80 degrees.
6) What features am I missing out on becuase this is a LITE vs ECO-Savvy Pro camera?

Thanks

TruthInAdv
If not yet, study the Cliff Notes.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

My goals

Thanks

TruthInAdv
1) It IS new, but after the last firmware update, I feel that it is just as solid as the "Pro" Series Cameras.
2) I have not had any issues w/ the firmware, web GUI, etc. since the update posted by @EMPIRETECANDY
3) If you are running an 8MP Camera, bitrate will be an issue regardless. I personally haven't noticed a major difference in running the 5831R-ZE @ 7fps/10240kbps and the 1831E @ 7fps/8192kbps. Granted the "Pro" series gives you more headroom, but you really ought to either use Starlights @ 22fps/10240kbps (2MP) or just bump down the resolution to 5MP if you want higher fps recordings. (7fps is actually just fine if the goal is to ID someone)
4) This doesn't have any more issues w/ Spiders than my Turrets
5) FOV is amazing, and the high resolution makes needing a varifocal less necessary (caveat: this is over short distances, this will not be suitable, for instance if you are trying to hit targets out @ 100ft.)
6) This doesn't have Audio recording, no alarm plugin wires (but neither does most of the Starlights), No SD card slot (not an issue if used w/ NVR), m.....help me out @wopi82 ...what did I miss?

See what the others on the forum have to say, but it's of my opinion, that if you have short distances, do a starlight (HDW2231R-ZS) in darker areas.

In areas w/ a little more light, use the HFW1831E. I really can't think of another camera that brings together performance and price better than this one, (for general overview areas).

For alarm input or long distances, get a Starlight model w/ lots of zoom (5231R-ZE, E-Z5E, E-Z12E)

This camera is not as easy to mount as a Turret, but of all the choices out there I'd say it's second in ease of use, because it has 1 screw to tighten/loosen for making the adjustment. The turrets you can pretty much just move them by hand and they stay where you leave them.

Truthinadv

n3wb
Reaction score
@Burton_Flooring

Thank you for answering all of my questions. It is very helpful.

It sounds like the new Lite H.265 Series cameras are really good options for home security as I don't need audio recording, alarm plugin wires, SD slot...

Looks like I should test the HDW2231R-ZS and HFW1831E. I will need to set up a rig and try them out in all my various locations to determine which camera works best for me. I wanted to mount the cameras to my roof soffit but it is 10ft high so I may need to find some alternative mounting options that are lower as I don't want pictures of baseball caps. However, I'm not 100% sure how I will do that and maintain a nice cosmetic appearance.

Thanks again for your help.

eman

n3wb
Reaction score
@Truthinadv

Don't forget the HFW2831T-ZS which is the motorized varifocal version with the same sensor but a 1.9 lens
It also has an sd card slot. More expensive but worth it.
There is a small difference at night compared to the 5321R-Z but just add a motion light and it switches to colour

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I assume that @EMPIRETECANDY has these, but i looked on both of his Aliexpress stores, but found nothing. Link? what is the cost?

Is the HFW2831T-ZS available?

Is there a sub $300 8MP camera that is better from Dahua right now with ~Starlight level low light imaging (0.01 Lux@ 1/30 sec) ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I assume that @EMPIRETECANDY has these, but i looked on both of his Aliexpress stores, but found nothing. Link? what is the cost?

Is the HFW2831T-ZS available?

Is there a sub $300 8MP camera that is better from Dahua right now with ~Starlight level low light imaging (0.01 Lux@ 1/30 sec) ?
HFW2831T-ZS Yes, this one just stock in some, price little more than the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Varifocal has its obvious advantages but i am encountering an increasing number of install locations that it is difficult to eliminate an object in the foreground that really messes up the auto focus, making the fixed focus a better choice (assuming the right length FOV lens) in those locations.

It sort of amazes me that he 1831e does not have a uSD slot. The price is good. I would go for this in a 6mm turret if it were available.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The Varifocal has its obvious advantages but i am encountering an increasing number of install locations that it is difficult to eliminate an object in the foreground that really messes up the auto focus, making the fixed focus a better choice (assuming the right length FOV lens) in those locations.

It sort of amazes me that he 1831e does not have a uSD slot. The price is good. I would go for this in a 6mm turret if it were available.
This model right now have 2.8mm and 4mm stock in, 6mm have to book the stock.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY , the 131 deg FOV and even the 102 deg FOV do not make much sense to me, with too many wasted pixels, except right at the front door where 8mp seems way overkill. I would prefer 85 deg, but would be stuck with the 64 (6mm), which i guess is why varifocal is so popular.

Bao

n3wb
Reaction score
I happened to have the 1831 from Andy a couple weeks ago, installed and hooked up, sweet little cam. This was replace the 4631C-A Chinese version. The difference is day and night. I just do not like the mounting bracket, make it difficult to adjust once tightened up.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest says that camera uses the following sensor, which is 1/2.5" in size. So they don't seem to be the same.
IMX274LQC | Sony Semiconductor Solutions
Is this the same 4k camera IP8M-2496E rebranded by Amcrest here in the USA?
@Endosmok - as rflagler notes, the Amcrest camera is certainly not a sibling of the IPC-HFW1831E

From the specs the Amcrest 8MP bullet IP8M-2496EB appears to be a sibling of the IPC-HFW48xx series. ( 3 streams )

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have any of you opened this camera? I'm curious if I could get a 25mm lens in there. I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I I was able to get a 25mm lens into and this camera would be a welcome upgrade. I'm trying to use it for an LPR camera and need the best low-light performance I can. I'm hoping the 1/1.8" sensor in this Dahua would help.
I finally opened this up and I believe this is an M16 lens vs. a standard M12. I don't see anything other than a 4mm/6mm on aliexpress for this lens size. Edmunds appears to have a 25mm for $80 - but I'm not sure if it supports color or IR.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How is your IPC-HFW1831E doing almost a year later? Still using/liking this camera?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Any rumors about them making a Turret design? Anyways, here's hoping :).
Nice review. Isn't the ipc-t5442tm-as fairly similar spec in a turret design? I noticed 1/1.8" sensor and high FPS (e.g. 20-30fps @ 8MP) were the same right away, which is why I'm looking at IPC-HFW1831E. Just got the ipc-t5442tm-as last week, ridiculously good at night.