A few questions

kkindopp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

First let me say I am so happy I finally found this forum!! :) I have been looking at reviews and researching a security system for a while now and there is a lot of info but in most cases the person giving the info is trying to sell you something.
I have read through some of the posts here and you guys are awesome the way you help everyone.

I would like to explain my situation and see what you guys think would be the best solution. I have an IT background so I will understand most technical talk relating to computers and networks but not as much relating to cameras.

I am a Canadian living in Mexico and I am building a small bed and breakfast on a fairly steep piece of property right on the beach. The design has 4 guest rooms lower on the property, on top of the rooms is the common area with pool and common living space, and on top of that is our house or living quarters. The entrance will be at the bottom of the property, there will be 2 automatic gates to access the road that winds around the front of the property and up to the guest rooms and garage.

When I think about what I would like there are a few different elements but I will just list what I hope to do even though I am not sure if the technology exists yet to do it.

I would like to...
Sit anywhere in the common area or my house and when someone comes to the gates be notified on my phone, be able to see and talk to them, then be able to open the gate.
If possible I would like to be sitting at a restaurant in town and do the exact same thing.
I would like to be able to open my gates from my phone (I don't think this exists yet) and also be able to give access to my guests to use their phones to open the gates, then remove them when they leave. I am sure hotels will come up with this one day, but maybe not.
I want to have 4 cameras, record on motion, POE seems like the only way to go from what I can tell. Wireless cameras sound great but the distance from my house down to the gate area is not line of site and would not work well.
I think a good camera system will be able to solve the notification of a guest or visitor on mine and my wifes phone, and being able to see and talk to them.
The opening of the gates, I would like it to be done via wifi, I know you can get systems that will use a phone chip which I might have to do, but that would not be good for guests from other countries due to them having to call long distance to open the gates. This will work for me and then I will have to go old school with a FOB or key code for guests.

Reading through some posts, Hikvision seems to be the brand of choice and it looks like ebay is the best place to buy, I was just wondering if anyone had any input or advice on exactly what models of cameras and NVR I should be getting. I live in the tropics so no matter what I buy it is going to corrode eventually (my cdn computer lasted 7 months and fried).
I want night vision
2 way communications
POE
It may be that a mixture of cameras is best but I am not sure.

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated, I hope I gave enough info so you can help if you want to.

Thank you
Kelly

kkindopp

n3wb
Reaction score
So did I ask too many questions or is what I want to do with poe and 2 way comm not possible?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So did I ask too many questions or is what I want to do with poe and 2 way comm not possible?
Welcome to the forum...its not uncommon to have to wait sometime before you receive a response, particularity if your question is detailed.
First and most importantly what is your budget?

kkindopp

n3wb
Reaction score
oh ok, sorry. It would be nice to keep it in the 1K range but if the system does what I want then about 2K would be my max.

I was looking at some of your other suggestions in other threads and this camera looks good but there is no 2 way comm I don't think.
[h=1]Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I Original 1/3" CMOS 3MP 2.8mm Lens POE Network CCTV Dome IP Camera H.264 IR Range HD Waterproof Home&Outdoor Security[/h]
I am thinking maybe 3 of these for the other locations, I only need 1 camera with 2 way comm for my gate area.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
oh ok, sorry. It would be nice to keep it in the 1K range but if the system does what I want then about 2K would be my max.

I was looking at some of your other suggestions in other threads and this camera looks good but there is no 2 way comm I don't think.
Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I Original 1/3" CMOS 3MP 2.8mm Lens POE Network CCTV Dome IP Camera H.264 IR Range HD Waterproof Home&Outdoor Security

I am thinking maybe 3 of these for the other locations, I only need 1 camera with 2 way comm for my gate area.
That is a good camera, though the problem with using motion detection and notifications is that you will be getting lots of false alerts or missing motion..
My suggestion is to use the 2332 around the house but for the front door where you need notification and audio get a 2532IS mini dome..the IS model (make sure it has the S) has a built in mic and an output for a speaker (you will need to supply the speaker AND separate power to the speaker)...the camera also has an alarm input for a PIR motion sensor ..get a good quality outdoor motion sensor..
you will need power for that as well. You may be able to trigger the alarm output remotely to open the door, but it wont be simple..you are better off with a separate wifi lock that can be opened remotely...tons of those out there.

kkindopp

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I am surprised I have to get a camera and add the motion sensor and speaker

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I am surprised I have to get a camera and add the motion sensor and speaker
That is the norm..the camera has its own pixel based motion detection but it wont be 100 percent..you will get false alerts...
There a very few cameras that are outdoor rated with built in speakers ..and they are very expensive..you may want to try an indoor camera like the 2432 cube hikvision, if it wont be directly exposed to water..

kkindopp

n3wb
Reaction score
is there a particular NVR you recommend? I have been reading a little about Blue Iris and most seem to love it so maybe an NVR is not necessary, I could do it with a dedicated PC and POE device

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a particular NVR you recommend? I have been reading a little about Blue Iris and most seem to love it so maybe an NVR is not necessary, I could do it with a dedicated PC and POE device
If you are going to use an NVR, then match it to the camera brand...
Blur iris is great..you will need a decent pc for it..depending on the load..

Reaction score
A Mobotix T25 camera will do exactly what you're looking for. Reliably detect someone walking up to the door with no false alarms (with Mx Activity Sensor), send you an email or text notification with picture or video, and let you unlock the door from the Mobotix app on your mobile device, as well as have 2-way conversation with whoever is at the door. Up to 3 weeks of recordings can be stored onboard the camera and viewed easily from within the iphone app, no NVR needed! All you need is a PoE ethernet cable. We've installed many of these systems and they are the best out there. Please let me know if you'd like more info.

EOS Digital Services

Reaction score
Sure, he needs a reliable solution that does the job and it's a business location. Sometimes its worth it to pay a bit more and and have the right product in place.

Reaction score