a good Processor for decoding/viewing

Joe

n3wb
Reaction score
It would seem almost any PC today can handle many IP cameras to simply store video. I have discovered that live viewing of cameras is a real strain. I want to build a system that can have live view of about 6 channels, playback video (about 4 channels), and record (11 or so channels). I know I'd need a half decent CPU, a motherboard that could handle it, and the WD purple storage SATA drives. Could I get away with the on board video card (only need one monitor)? Would I need very much RAM?

I'm looking to build a system that play video smoothly @ 1080p/30fps, 6144kbps. I'm only looking for video viewing and playback hardware recommendations. I don't need P/S, Hard drive space, case, etc, info. I'm also looking for what I need I don't want to bring C4 to a backyard fireworks display. :) I've been thinking an i5 4690K @3.5ghz, maybe an i7 would be wiser? What about AMD?

Thanks in advance (TIA)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If this system will be on 24/7 forget about amd...they are not efficient..
What software do you intended to run on this system? What cameras will you be using?

Joe

n3wb
Reaction score
If this system will be on 24/7 forget about amd...they are not efficient..
What software do you intended to run on this system? What cameras will you be using?
I'm pretty sure I'll run Win7, and I'll start with HikVision's iVMS 4200, maybe Blue Iris. I'll likely try a few different type of software. The Cameras will all be HikVision. Right now I have one ds-2cd2732f-is, I'm planning to add about six mini-dome ds-2cd2532f-is, and some ds-2cd2132f-i.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The i5 will be fine for ivms..but you will need an i7-haswell for all those cams if you intend to use blue iris...integrated graphics will be fine - there is no benefit using discrete cards..they add cost, power consumption, point of failure and heat.