A little confused about camera choice

Reaction score
I have quickly gone through the cliff notes and it seems that the preferred camera is Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

Now I know that this model has good night recording so the impression I got from the Wiki is that I should use this camera for night recording and a different 4K or 5K for daytime coverage? Is this correct? If so then what is the cliff notes preferred 4K or 5K camera for this?

Or is the cliff notes suggesting the above Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z for both day and night use?

Sorry. Super confused noob.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have quickly gone through the cliff notes and it seems that the preferred camera is Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

Now I know that this model has good night recording so the impression I got from the Wiki is that I should use this camera for night recording and a different 4K or 5K for daytime coverage? Is this correct? If so then what is the cliff notes preferred 4K or 5K camera for this?

Or is the cliff notes suggesting the above Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z for both day and night use?

Sorry. Super confused noob.
Welcome ipcamsupernoob,

The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z and newer version IPC-HDW5231R-ZE work well also during the day time.

So if you can only afford a limited number of cameras and want good low light performance - that or another Dahua OEM 2MP starlight model is the one to get.

If you can afford multiple cameras, I like the idea of mixing a couple / few 8MP / "4K" in with the Dahua OEM 2MP starlights to get more "pixels on target" during the day - normally I like to put these on the front of the house to get more details out from those approaching on / from the street - as often package thieves are using cars during the day on their thieving runs. I like to have a good chance of a good image of their cars as well as their faces to give to authorities or post online.

For the 8MP / 4K version I would look at the IPC-HDW48xx or IPC-HDW58xx models of cameras.

Remember you want to have an idea of your threats, and if all of your major threats are at night - then the low light cameras are the ones to get.

Reaction score
Welcome ipcamsupernoob,

The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z and newer version IPC-HDW5231R-ZE work well also during the day time.

So if you can only afford a limited number of cameras and want good low light performance - that or another Dahua OEM 2MP starlight model is the one to get.

If you can afford multiple cameras, I like the idea of mixing a couple / few 8MP / "4K" in with the Dahua OEM 2MP starlights to get more "pixels on target" during the day - normally I like to put these on the front of the house to get more details out from those approaching on / from the street - as often package thieves are using cars during the day on their thieving runs. I like to have a good chance of a good image of their cars as well as their faces to give to authorities or post online.

For the 8MP / 4K version I would look at the IPC-HDW48xx or IPC-HDW58xx models of cameras.

Remember you want to have an idea of your threats, and if all of your major threats are at night - then the low light cameras are the ones to get.
Thanks a million!

Among the IPC-HDW48xx or IPC-HDW58xx models, is there a particular one that’s well regarded here?