A New Doorbell

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m unable to login into the doorbell. When I land on the ip of the doorbell it just says connection failed
That would be consistent with all the other brands of the same doorbell. None of them have a web config.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, if interested I just posted a full DMSS app screen grab breakdown over HERE showing the controls you have over the doorbell in the app. You''l' see options including white light + alarm linkage, person vs motion detection and recording audio messages for quick response.

HTH

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was interested in this one, but not with the requirement for an account just to set it up and with no way to capture the push of the button conveniently. When will someone produce a PoE doorbell that allows access to the push of the button, although if it is PoE the button terminals will naturally be a dry contact (hopefully).

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I was interested in this one, but not with the requirement for an account just to set it up and with no way to capture the push of the button conveniently. When will someone produce a PoE doorbell that allows access to the push of the button, although if it is PoE the button terminals will naturally be a dry contact (hopefully).
there are intercoms which can do it, no need for indoor station , no need for cloud (but SIP server if you need forward to phone),

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed. I will continue to update my thread with additional findings after testing but definitely the account requirement is a negative IMO. Unfortunately when marketing teams state ‘private doorbell, no cloud’ but then force an account as a requirement to use doorbell functions it really does kill the locked down / more secure approach that most people either are / or should be implementing when adding these and other security devices we discuss here, to their properties both residential and commercial / enterprise.

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
with no way to capture the push of the button conveniently.
Does it expose the same API as the Amcrest ones? If so, then this should be accessible there and can be captured by such things as home assistant using the dahua add-on, or amcrest2mqtt.

I hope it does, my doorbells from B&H Photo have shipped, and after my Amcrest experience I don't dare hook these ones up to the chime directly, so I'm relying on being able to capture the doorbell press somehow and then fire a relay to ring the old mechanical chime.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no idea about exposed APIs since I don't have the doorbell but maybe Wildcat does. I'm more of a wiring guy than a scripting expert and even if there's an API that means a SeaLevel device to act as a relay for the physical doorbell which, once again, stinks and is a kludge for what should be a simple, standard, option.

there are intercoms which can do it, no need for indoor station , no need for cloud (but SIP server if you need forward to phone),
I have a villa station and while it is PoE and more secure there is still no way to conveniently pick off a button push which just plain stinks. Yeah it works with the VTH unit, but then your stuck in one spot where the VTH is. That's great at a reception desk but stinks for home use. I'll be taking the VTO apart to see if I can pick off the button push one way or another. Pictures will be posted IF I am successful.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed. I will continue to update my thread with additional findings after testing but definitely the account requirement is a negative IMO. Unfortunately when marketing teams state ‘private doorbell, no cloud’ but then force an account as a requirement to use doorbell functions it really does kill the locked down / more secure approach that most people either are / or should be implementing when adding these and other security devices we discuss here, to their properties both residential and commercial / enterprise.
I have a villa station and while it is PoE and more secure there is still no way to conveniently pick off a button push which just plain stinks. Yeah it works with the VTH unit, but then your stuck in one spot where the VTH is. That's great at a reception desk but stinks for home use. I'll be taking the VTO apart to see if I can pick off the button push one way or another. Pictures will be posted IF I am successful.

its more like a sip phone , many options are available for config
... material is good (all metal) but design is a bit awful ;) ...

• Dont need any internet connection
  • you can use your own sip server (or their sip server aka cloud)
  • can link the relay to button press
  • can send out http trigger on button press
  • can send out http trigger on rfid event (good for BI profile change if you leave home)
  • can use a ton of other action URLs
  • onvif
  • rtsp
  • sip 2.0 standard
  • PoE

but there is a huge but ...........
  • price around 150USD/EUR
  • the camera can only use 2048 kbps (which is not enough for 1080p, so quality is abit "meh")
  • they have a design fault ... the IR leds are deepened and if the night vision is on , the quality is awful (if there is not enough ambient light) ... with front face removed the beam is wider and the most problems are gone
  • huge compared to other doorbells
  • some firmware bugs, but they fix them fast because you can reach out their support directly and they talk to you
  • iframe is a bit strange , only on 25fps keyrate is 1 , with 15 its 0.5 and with 10 its 0.25

BI
keyrate.jpg

with frontface (no other light)
with frontplate.png

without frontface
without frontplate.png

r20_open.jpg

There is also a version with white LED and no IR for around 60-80USD/EUR ... looks way better, but no IR which is sad
they have the same functions as R20 , but only 1 relay

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The VTH acts as the SIP server, but even with that there's no pickoff for a button push to activate a real doorbell. Jumping through hoops to do that with scripts is a no go for me, too old to jump much anymore. Last time I did that my teeth fell out and my toupe' went flying.

In terms of video, it's fine for what it is meant for...close up observation. It's not an overview camera at all. At the range of a few feet 720P is fine. It is a little clunky compared to a normal video doorbell but in my case, mounted on a gate post, it fits in just fine.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
The VTH acts as the SIP server, but even with that there's no pickoff for a button push to activate a real doorbell. Jumping through hoops to do that with scripts is a no go for me, too old to jump much anymore. Last time I did that my teeth fell out and my toupe' went flying.

In terms of video, it's fine for what it is meant for...close up observation. It's not an overview camera at all. At the range of a few feet 720P is fine. It is a little clunky compared to a normal video doorbell but in my case, mounted on a gate post, it fits in just fine.
i know .. but on all akuvox devices its possible to link the button press to the included relay , its just firmware. dahua can do the same but they dont want because their dev team is ..............

chime.PNG

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no idea about exposed APIs since I don't have the doorbell but maybe Wildcat does. I'm more of a wiring guy than a scripting expert and even if there's an API that means a SeaLevel device to act as a relay for the physical doorbell which, once again, stinks and is a kludge for what should be a simple, standard, option.

Yeah, I don't see anything in the API calls that could assist here. You could always script off of an Alarm trigger relating to the door but doesn't appear to be a way to directly tap into the doorbell push itself which is a real shame

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, you need an account set it up but then you can access it only via the NVR if you wish, and limit it to access the internetz.
When you push the button DMSS notifies you with "IPC External alarm", the notification is pushed from the NVR and not via the Cloud.

But agree, I was also surprised I had to login to even register it as I'm always logged out from DMSS.

green1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I'm missing something then, what do you mean by "capture"? The doorbell this thread is about does act like a traditional doorbell, during setup you select either mechanical, or digital, chime, and it rings the normal chime in your house just fine.
I assumed by capture that you meant an API, but if you just want to ring a chime, this doorbell does that. (Your lack of POE gripe is still valid, but nobody seems to make the "perfect" doorbell)

Of course that said, I'm EXTREMELY suspicious of the quality of that relay. It seems that the Amcrest version at least is very marginal on being able to handle the current that flows through the device when you press the button for the chime, leading to many premature device failures (not just mine, I did a bunch of googling and found a bunch of other examples). Near as I can tell, it's so marginal that it depends on your exact doorbell chime, and the exact device you have as to whether, and how quickly, it will burn out. Seems they should have spec'd the internal components just a wee bit higher. For that reason, I don't plan to use that feature on mine, and instead I'm going to use the API to fire relays. I don't like my solution, as it's a kludge and one more thing to go wrong, but I just don't trust the built in relay after burning out 2 of the Amcrest version in less than a week.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My comment is related to a PoE model, if one ever becomes available, and the VTO. I know this style will fire a doorbell, but even that's a kludge. They effectively short their own power supply source when the button is pushed and there is little to no protection on that supply which is why a "chime kit" is required for a mechanical, coil driven, chime. Overall, to me, it's all a bunch of kludges and marginal engineering to produce a mass market POS.

I have a DB1C. It drops offline regularly. Watching it, it actually shuts down and reboots rather than losing connection to WiFi. That means it "loses its' mind"(such as it is), programming, multiple times a day. Yet another POS. I could spend my days re-initializing it to keep it working but that isn't a solution either.

I'd be willing to spend $200-$300 for a decent PoE doorbell with a dry output for a mechanical chime. This WiFi, powered by a doorbell transformer crap, isn't worth my time or effort at all. I've spent more money on Gaviscon than the doorbell is worth.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, that neither one of us have claimed that that exists.
ah ok.. and why not use reolink wifi cameras ? sounds like wifi is reliable and good .. thats why the doorbell uses it?

is there any reason why dahua and hikvision reinvent the wheel ? i mean they have devices with poe and relays.. the new one posted a few pages earlier has even near the same size. but you cannot link the button press to the relay. wow.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't consider the DB6I Doorbell a "Security product" so being wifi-only is not a problem.
I do agree that POE is preferable but not at all a deal breaker - for this product.

For Security and surveillance there are definitely more suitable products.

This is a Doorbell with a camera that blends in good in a Dahua environment.

My 4 year old pushed the ring button today when he wanted to speak to me, that's more the application this is suitable for.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To me they're basically toys for the masses. It is interesting to note how so much of the marketing of these "non-security" devices shows them being used exactly in that manner. I think the best option, overall, is a boobie camera and a regular old doorbell button unless or until the dawn finally comes to the manufacturers.